Dualism?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Dualism?

Post by Harbal »

osgart wrote:a soul is simply the heart mind and will. heart is the place of cares loves hates and ambivalences. where do those qualities of being reside and how can you derive such qualities from matter.
Surely the heart is just an organ for pumping blood, or are you speaking metaphorically? I wouldn't say that the fact that I can't explain how such "qualities" can exist in something emanating from matter means that they can't
osgart

Post by osgart »

heart in a totally different sense. I gave a totally different definition using the very word
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

osgart wrote:heart in a totally different sense. I gave a totally different definition using the very word
Right, so you mean heart in the sense of it not being a heart?
osgart

Post by osgart »

you know that many dictionary words have totally different meanings of the same word
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

osgart wrote:you know that many dictionary words have totally different meanings of the same word
That's why it's a good idea to avoid ambiguous words, don't you think?
osgart

Post by osgart »

the way I defined heart was clear cut.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

osgart wrote:the way I defined heart was clear cut.
That's okay then, it might have caused some confusion if you hadn't.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote:
osgart wrote:heart in a totally different sense. I gave a totally different definition using the very word
Right, so you mean heart in the sense of it not being a heart?
Probably any specific question you can think of on the heart topic (in what is likely osgart's sense) has been asked in the Q&A format of this book, although likely with different phrasing. If not interested enough to read it, which is understandable and by no means a judgment, then I or anyone with a copy on the shelf could reference that particular cogent source for ponderable information, as long as evidence of ponderation exists.

“That in which all these worlds seem to exist steadily, that of which all these worlds are a possession, that from which all these worlds rise, that for which all these exist, that by which all these worlds come into existence and that which is indeed all these – that alone is the existing reality. Let us cherish that Self, which is the reality, in the Heart.”
- Sri Ramana Maharshi

“4. The Heart Sri Ramana frequently used the Sanskrit word hridayam when he was talking about the Self. It is usually translated as ‘the Heart’ but a more literal translation would be ‘this is the centre’. In using this particular term he was not implying that there was a particular location or centre for the Self, he was merely indicating that the Self was the source from which all appearances manifested.”
- David Godman

Source: Be As You Are, The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi, Edited by David Godman
osgart

Post by osgart »

you are from England so your standards are different from ours.

I don't want to have to conform to a Christian standard but it is good to recognize a higher authority than any group or individual so long as the standard promotes the general welfare.
Walker

Post by Walker »

osgart wrote:I don't want to have to conform to a Christian standard but it is good to recognize a higher authority than any group or individual so long as the standard promotes the general welfare.
“To a few mature persons the Lord shines as the formless light of knowledge and imparts awareness of the truth.”
- Sri Ramana Maharshi
ibid
osgart

Post by osgart »

that's poetic is it Christian?
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Sri Ramana maintained that the universe is sustained by the power of the Self. Since theists normally attribute this power to God he often used the word God as a synonym for the Self. He also used the words Brahman, the supreme being of Hinduism, and Siva, a Hindu name for God, in the same way. Sri Ramana’s God is not a personal God, he is the formless being which sustains the universe. He is not the creator of the universe, the universe is merely a manifestation of his inherent power; he is inseparable from it, but he is not affected by its appearance or its disappearance.”
- David Godman
ibid
osgart

Post by osgart »

sounds like Brahman is more of a force than a being.

is Brahman a being?

do Hindus have ultimatums on belief?

it sounds like a non conformist religion.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

osgart wrote:sounds like Brahman is more of a force than a being.

is Brahman a being?
I always thought a Brahman was a guy who sold womens underwear. There's always something new to learn round here.
osgart

Post by osgart »

now that's a steep climb to attain knowledge. What business does a man have selling ladies apparrell