Materialism is logically imposible

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Re: Materialism is logically imposible

Post by uwot »

Londoner wrote:If any of these subjectivists are reading this, I'm sure they will make their own case!
Not sure what you mean by 'these subjectivists', but all experience is necessarily subjective. We can all look at the same things, but our individual sensations will not be identical to anyone else's. While we might agree that there is a mind independent source of phenomena, an external and in some sense objective world, there are a many possibilities as to what that is. The choice we make about what to believe, is subjective.
OuterLimits

Re: Materialism is logically imposible

Post by OuterLimits »

bahman wrote:Materialism is a system of belief which claims that everything is constituted of matter and any motion of matter can be described by laws of nature. In close form, S'=L(S), where S is the initial state, S' is final state and L is laws of nature. There is however an anomaly in this system of view so called consciousness, C, which is simply the awareness of surrounding. C is simply the expectation of what S' should be. Materialist believe that C can be derived from S by the following equation C=P(S) where P is the act of experience. There is however no reason to believe that there exist a relation between C and S' in this framework. We however always observe a fantastic correlation between what we expect to happen, C, and what happens, S'. This means that we are dealing with a logically impossible situation since C could be anything.

Your thought?
Absolutely. But- I think that for the materialist - or anyone who attempts to understand the world as much as possible using the scientific method - C turns out not to exist anywhere "out there". I have C, but I don't know what it is, and I don't know if it is the only instantiation of it. If I think that other people's brains are just material objects, then there is no evidence of C "out there" and thus my science is better off without it.