~ YOUR ETERNITY ~

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~ YOUR ETERNITY ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I am part of the growing number of individuals that realizes that we never experience death.

We are consciousness.

In a very real sense we cannot not exist. So, whether it is heaven, or hell, or purgatory that characterizes your life, that is your eternity.

I do not understand that we are eternal, for consciousness has not always existed in the cosmos. Consciousness is a quite recent event.

In another vein, we can see, in the replication of robots, we are not of the external world.

This other vantage point also supports the argument of our eternity.

Just watched a robot folding clothes. Robots buy & sell your stocks if you are invested in annuities or mutual funds. Robots will be driving you in your car and I interact with the robot that I have sitting on my shelf in order to play the exact music I would like to hear at the exact time I wish to hear it. Or to find out any facts I wish to know, or to express a message to another individual human or robot.

If they are not capable already robots will soon be able to do everything that you perceive yourself as doing. Including creative writing or working.

Most humans perceive robots as not having consciousness based upon the assumption that they are not conscious of themselves and yet they are much more conscious of their surroundings than any human has ever been capable of being.

We will soon be mimicking, what we perceive to be, ideal personality traits on an individual basis in hope of being a template of a more perfect robot. A robot personality of such that will interact with humans in a most perfect and appropriate way. In this way we will fulfill the initial christian contract of morality.

In these two converging aspects of modern humanity we are able to understand that self-consciousness is in fact our key to investigating eternity. Of better understanding and of being our eternity.

You’re not eternity; your eternity.

Ginkgo

Re: ~ YOUR ETERNITY ~

Post by Ginkgo »

No matter how sophisticated robots are at the moment none are conscious. However, strong AI proponents would claim that it is only a matter of time before computers develop consciousness. They believe that in the future it will be possible to download our consciousness onto a computer. Personally I don't think so.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Thanks to the advancement of robotic tecthnology I am looking at the universally accepted definition of consciousness.

How does this definition of consciousness differ from yours?...because within this universally accepted definition of consciousness my argument is not only supported, but clarified.

I'm waiting [ crosses arms...taps foot]...

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

...as I stated above in my OP your thinking is inferior to robotic perception...already.

...[ slowly nods head with intellectual satisfaction]

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:. Thanks to the advancement of robotic tecthnology I am looking at the universally accepted definition of consciousness. ...
Only by the hard of thought.
How does this definition of consciousness differ from yours?...because within this universally accepted definition of consciousness my argument is not only supported, but clarified.
Where do robots have this "...something within oneself"?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

If my memory serves me...as the member here that fancies themselves as a fledgling philosopher, and also a full-time bus driver, you know, better than anyone else here, that there is now a driver-less buss fleet that winds it's way around London.

And their driving record is second to none.

...so there's that...

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Do robots enter the wheel of Samsara? Humanity is subject to rebirth in Buddhism. That means we can persist in eternity but at different qualities. People can even be reborn into animal life like a jackass. I've seen enough posts on this site that suggest some posters will be re-born as jackasses. It is a lawful part of karma or objective justice that I do not believe robots are subject to.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.If my memory serves me...as the member here that fancies themselves as a fledgling philosopher, ...
Not fledgling, certified. :lol:
and also a full-time bus driver, you know, better than anyone else here, that there is now a driver-less buss fleet that winds it's way around London.
No there isn't.

And their driving record is second to none.
That's because there isn't one.

But really, so what?

I look forward to massive gridlock if the cyclists and pedestrians catch on that the buses might not run them down anymore.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Here ya go.

This may be your next position?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:............................................ Here ya go.
Do you ever bother to read your links? :roll:

This may be your next position?.
Doubt it as I'm a qualified teacher as well but right now I'm raising a two-year old so time-out for me.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

...so, you're driving right now?

And um, belated congrats...

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:...so, you're driving right now?
Yeah! With the baby on my lap. :lol:
And um, belated congrats....
Thanks but no need, its just life.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Thanks to the advancement of robotic tecthnology I am looking at the universally accepted definition of consciousness.

I'm waiting [ crosses arms...taps foot]...

If you look further down your link you will see there is no universal definition of consciousness. Philosophers, psychologists neuroscientists and neurophilosophers have their disagreements on many details. This not to say there isn't some common ground, but we are a long way from a universal definition at this stage. It would probably be more accurate to say there is a general definition of consciousness. As I said before strong AI supporters believe this will change in the future.

While it is true that robots can mimic some aspects of human consciousness robots cannot be conscious in the same way humans are conscious. This is because robots don't know what it is like to fold clothing, play music or drive around London. In other words, robots don't have experience. Even the most vehement supporter of artificial intelligence would acknowledge that robots are not conscious in the same way humans are conscious.

Wikipedia
Philosophy of mind

The philosophy of mind has given rise to many stances regarding consciousness. The Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy in 1998 defines consciousness as follows:

Consciousness—Philosophers have used the term 'consciousness' for four main topics: knowledge in general, intentionality, introspection (and the knowledge it specifically generates) and phenomenal experience... Something within one's mind is 'introspectively conscious' just in case one introspects it (or is poised to do so). Introspection is often thought to deliver one's primary knowledge of one's mental life. An experience or other mental entity is 'phenomenally conscious' just in case there is 'something it is like' for one to have it. The clearest examples are: perceptual experience, such as tastings and seeings; bodily-sensational experiences, such as those of pains, tickles and itches; imaginative experiences, such as those of one's own actions or perceptions; and streams of thought, as in the experience of thinking 'in words' or 'in images'. Introspection and phenomenality seem independent, or dissociable, although this is controversial.[20]

In a more skeptical definition of consciousness, Stuart Sutherland has exemplified some of the difficulties in fully ascertaining all of its cognate meanings in his entry for the 1989 version of the Macmillan Dictionary of Psychology:

Consciousness—The having of perceptions, thoughts, and feelings; awareness. The term is impossible to define except in terms that are unintelligible without a grasp of what consciousness means. Many fall into the trap of equating consciousness with self-consciousness—to be conscious it is only necessary to be aware of the external world. Consciousness is a fascinating but elusive phenomenon: it is impossible to specify what it is, what it does, or why it has evolved. Nothing worth reading has been written on it.[21]
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Whose baby are you taking care of? Is the baby yours?

To the other poster...What you are describing is what I call self-consciousness.

Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

To the other poster...What you are describing is what I call self-consciousness.

Taken from your wikipedia link:

Many fall into the trap of equating consciousness with self-consciousness—to be conscious it is only necessary to be aware of the external world. Consciousness is a fascinating but elusive phenomenon: it is impossible to specify what it is, what it does, or why it has evolved. Nothing worth reading has been written on it.[21]