~ The Meaning of Life ~

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: ~ The Meaning of Life ~

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
THoR wrote:Meaning of life???
Why not ask what is the square root of apple?
Why do you assume it has a meaning and how would you define meaning?
Sorry...but How was the Universe Created and When did it begin have the same flaws.
The premise of the question is based on a false assumption....there IS no answer....sorry.
I'm sure you mean, that it would seem, there is no 'universal' answer. That surely each person would come up with their own version.
Indeed the question is not "what is the meaning of life'; but "what is the meaning of your life."
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

THoR wrote:Meaning of life???
Why not ask what is the square root of apple?
Why do you assume it has a meaning and how would you define meaning?
Sorry...but How was the Universe Created and When did it begin have the same flaws.
The premise of the question is based on a false assumption....there IS no answer....sorry.
I agree. You are born, you live and you die. You might or might not procreate. That is life. No meaning and no purpose. One might choose to give it some meaning for personal satisfaction, but really, there is no meaning of life. Think of a baby that is born, lives for a few moments, days or months and dies. It has not even formed the concept of meaning before it dies. Meaninglessly. We live longer form opinions, achieve things which we BELIEVE are important and die, assigning meaning to our own lives. But actually, we are born, live and die. Meaning of life or purpose of life are psychological needs, quite like the need to believe in God. Your actions might have consequences which are Meaningful to you and others, but life itself has no meaning.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Very enjoyable post. Well written and quite thoughtful.

Is there a meaning to sthitapragya?

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Hey Bill, glad to see you're back! How are things going? I hope this finds you and yours, healthy, happy and wise! Good day my friend! ;-)
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Thank you for your warm regards.

Yes, there was a mis-understanding. Took a break for a while. The time was precious and I selfishly used my break to clear my pallet & explore some new avenues and viewpoints.

Missed our insightful comments. How have you been over the past few months?

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Thank you for your warm regards.

Yes, there was a mis-understanding. Took a break for a while. The time was precious and I selfishly used my break to clear my pallet & explore some new avenues and viewpoints.

Missed our insightful comments. How have you been over the past few months?

Well for me it's been far too much, "same shit, different day," but only I control that, so I really shouldn't complain. And in fact incrementally, I am doing better. I really just need to pick up the speed, as life is getting shorter with each passing day. I'm not happy with my recovery rate. ;-)

But me and the wife are still alive and kicking, working on healthy eating (organic veggies & grass fed {pastured} meats) and exercise. I've lost a few pounds, unfortunately it's been a bit of muscle, not just fat, so I've got to exercise more. You still exercising? I hope so! As we age it's ever so important, to burn lean.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Glad to hear you are following a really healthy lifestyle.

I haven't been working-out for about a year now. - I miss it.

I'm 61. It's impossible to relate to members who are younger that our bodies slow down and both men & women loose muscle mass.

It's a different way to relate to life.

I was a construction worker. For the most part, being fit, able, and large went a long way a priori in every related context.

Now...I'm lost. New territory. I'm the old lion.

Good on you.
I hope you are able to carry those healthy habits with you always.

THoR

Post by THoR »

Before something can change, before something can act or be acted upon, it must exist.

It's a rather simple axiom, intrinsically self-evident since any who might dissent must confess they believe in things that don't exist (they now have medications for that). At first you might consider the premise to be rather obvious and inconsequential, but its deeper significance categorically refutes both the ancient mythology of Genesis and the contemporary mathology of those cosmologists who tout Big Bang as the absolute beginning of all space and time.

Existence is not a condition or a state of being, it is the phenomenon of being, itself. Something must exist in order to have a state of being and if being is necessary in order for change to occur, then cause and effect is derived from and thus subordinate to the more fundamental phenomenon of existence. No phenomenon can be the product of its own subordinate derivative, so simple logic defines existence as the source of cause and effect, not the result of it.

Life is basically the result of animated particles acting and reacting to their environment. Life is a transient state of being, followed, by another condition called Death. Your existence didn't begin with your birth, nor will it cease upon your demise. Existence is eternal, states of being are temporary.

Actually, the concept of "Life After Death" is a no-brainer. You were certainly dead nine months before you were born; you are (presumably) alive now, so the matter really isn't debatable. But a number of rather profound and interesting questions do arise from the premise, and having been dead as currently as 1948, I feel my recent experience as a decedent makes my conjecture just as valid as that of any who care to abuse the subject.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Not in the sense of the bigger picture. I have personally assigned purposes to my life, though. I don't think there is any meaning to my life. But I do enjoy living.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

THoR wrote: Your existence didn't begin with your birth, nor will it cease upon your demise. Existence is eternal, states of being are temporary.

Actually, the concept of "Life After Death" is a no-brainer. You were certainly dead nine months before you were born; you are (presumably) alive now, so the matter really isn't debatable. But a number of rather profound and interesting questions do arise from the premise, and having been dead as currently as 1948, I feel my recent experience as a decedent makes my conjecture just as valid as that of any who care to abuse the subject.
It could very well be possible that what you identify as you simply did not exist before your birth and will cease to exist after you die. The atoms in your body will mostly continue to exist but will in all probability separate and go on to join other atoms to form different multiple states of existence. I don't think it would be possible for you to then identify yourself with each and every state of existence your atoms formed. Existence might be eternal, but your or my existence, the your and my we identify as you and me, seem more likely to end at our deaths.

Even the atoms in your existing body in all probability came from various other states of existence, some of which might be from other humans who while alive identified themselves with all the atoms in that body. If they could still exist after their deaths, they would identify themselves with parts of your body, making you a multiple of identities, in which case, what you identify as you is a combination of multiple identities,while they would identify themselves with you, a piece of rock, maybe Obama, a whale in the sea etc. It could all get very confusing after we die to keep track of all the identities we would then have.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Like the way you think.

Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

sthitapragya wrote:

Not in the sense of the bigger picture. I have personally assigned purposes to my life, though. I don't think there is any meaning to my life. But I do enjoy living.
Do you not think he was asking for the MEANING of the word sthitapragya?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I know you want sthitapragya to answer & I hope they do, but for my part, I just threw it out there - and I LOVED the response I was given!

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:

:lol: I nominate it for the PN most pretentious 'answer' of the year award.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:

I dont think so. Otherwise he would have said meaning of instead of meaning to.