~ The Meaning of Life ~

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: ~ The Meaning of Life ~

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:No no no, because not seeing my avatar in technicolor doesn't deny them access to forum features.
Bit confused here, are you saying your avatar is to focus you and not others?
Freedom of will, freedom of choice, both are nonsense, they don't exist.
Did you choose to reply?
What experience am I referring to? Life.
So you think you can have the power of prophesy with respect to life?
I am partially colour blind, I fail color optometry test and this forum color choice test. But I can still see art in their colorful glory.
How could you tell if you are colour-blind? Which I presume you are as you had a problem with the colour choice test.
What is the point of a movie you say? Get the blood flowing, and in rare cases, introduce new ideas.
No, I meant it depends upon the point as to whether a cartoon or serious movie has more worth.
Usually following this formula

intro (mystery or action) part 1 (tragedy) part 2 (quest) part 3 (climax) end (peace)
or just following the predictable formulae on tvtropes
Shakespeare probably covered them all. Although I thought TV where the less predictable formulae are occurring rather than the movies.
most movies utilize the flow of samsara
by that i dont mean physical death, but perhaps physical death or something like death to drive and birth the plot along, creating the illusion of meaning and purpose, when it is really just nature taking its course, the peace will turn to suffering, the cycle anew, pointless really
I thought it the point?
what is "bizarre - FTFY"?
Sorry, that was meant for Bill, its a running joke as Bill likes to correct spellings and such like with a Fixed That For You.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

it's - FTFY

GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

I thought it the point?

Did you choose to reply

How to fail the color blind test?

Power of prophecy?
Flow has no point.

In so much an AI responds to a chat.

Not seeing enough difference contrast between color, which can be measured.

An understanding of Eintein's theories would imply future sight is possible. Though Im inclined to think than much of his theories are rubbish. Futuresense is possible just by reading the tropes, humans are predictable creatures.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Flow has no point.
In the example you use yes it does, the attainment of Nirvana.
In so much an AI responds to a chat.
What AI's?
Not seeing enough difference contrast between color, which can be measured.
Between different colours or the same one? If so which colour colours are you colour-blind to?
An understanding of Eintein's theories would imply future sight is possible.
How? Althought you might like Cerverny's ideas in the Phil of Science section.
Though Im inclined to think than much of his theories are rubbish.
Do you, care to say why?
Futuresense is possible just by reading the tropes, humans are predictable creatures.
And yet pretty much every science-fiction prediction and futurology deduction has turned-out to be largely bollocks?
PolarLee

Post by PolarLee »

There is no meaning of life.

First I would like to say I am not religious. However I am not looking to insult any religions.

We live on a planet that, as we have learned, was here years before we arrived. This shows that the Earth is capable of surfing without us.

As humans we quickly realised this and found that this meant we were free to do what we wanted. This progressed to where we are now, we do not help or contribute to the planets existance.
What I'm trying to say is that our society has brought on this question and its answer in my oppinion is shocking.
If we have created the society whereby to live our lives we need money and love to do so to gain respect from others. Therefore we have created our own purpose on this earth and there fore we can create our own meaning of life.

This is where I get deep.
If the earth has been around for long before you and will be here long after you. What is your role here? If you are here for 80 years over the billions of years the earth is here what can you possibly achieve?
This leads to an additional question, is there an afterlife. I think yes. This is because like I have said, we are here on this earth for a spec of time so what happens to us after that? Death is meant to be nothing according to atheists. But you can never get nothing. If I told you to think of nothin you would probably close your eyes and think of darkness, black, but the colour black is a colour and you recognise it's a colour therefore your brain is working. You can't be dead. So what happens? You will find yourself pondering for days what ifs like to be dead because it's impossible.

I guess I have gone off on a massive tangent. Sorry about that.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

PolarLee wrote:There is no meaning of life.

First I would like to say I am not religious. However I am not looking to insult any religions.

We live on a planet that, as we have learned, was here years before we arrived. This shows that the Earth is capable of surfing without us.

As humans we quickly realised this and found that this meant we were free to do what we wanted. This progressed to where we are now, we do not help or contribute to the planets existance.
What I'm trying to say is that our society has brought on this question and its answer in my oppinion is shocking.
If we have created the society whereby to live our lives we need money and love to do so to gain respect from others. Therefore we have created our own purpose on this earth and there fore we can create our own meaning of life.

This is where I get deep.
If the earth has been around for long before you and will be here long after you. What is your role here? If you are here for 80 years over the billions of years the earth is here what can you possibly achieve?
This leads to an additional question, is there an afterlife. I think yes. This is because like I have said, we are here on this earth for a spec of time so what happens to us after that? Death is meant to be nothing according to atheists. But you can never get nothing. If I told you to think of nothin you would probably close your eyes and think of darkness, black, but the colour black is a colour and you recognise it's a colour therefore your brain is working. You can't be dead. So what happens? You will find yourself pondering for days what ifs like to be dead because it's impossible.

I guess I have gone off on a massive tangent. Sorry about that.
No, I get exactly what non-existence is. I'm the frickin' king of it, and look forward to it. I try to explain it, but most existents never get it, so I stop trying to explain. Good on you, though, PolarLee, for coming to grips with it. Interested to hear more from you.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:No, I get exactly what non-existence is. I'm the frickin' king of it, and look forward to it. ...
Why look forward, why not embrace it now?
I try to explain it, but most existents never get it, so I stop trying to explain. Good on you, though, PolarLee, for coming to grips with it. Interested to hear more from you.
really? So you agree with PL that there is an afterlife and no such thing as non-existence? Seems at odds with your previous statements.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:No, I get exactly what non-existence is. I'm the frickin' king of it, and look forward to it. ...
Why look forward, why not embrace it now?
I try to explain it, but most existents never get it, so I stop trying to explain. Good on you, though, PolarLee, for coming to grips with it. Interested to hear more from you.
really? So you agree with PL that there is an afterlife and no such thing as non-existence? Seems at odds with your previous statements.
Because I'm not finished calling you a dick.

Of course there is an "after life". It's after life, isn't it? Do I have to explain every little bit to you, Richard (Dick)?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Because I'm not finished calling you a dick.
Keep it up as it nicely demonstrates your 'philosophy'.
Of course there is an "after life". It's after life, isn't it?
For sure, its just not your after life.
Do I have to explain every little bit to you, Richard (Dick)?
You've not really explained any little bit so far as as soon as you face questions about your thoughts you fall into insult and invective.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Well, why don't you explain for us all, since you say you've read the book, all about Benatar's philosophy, and dissect it for us, me and other followers of your bilge? If you do, I'll reverse my vasectomy, and get a TV show, "Dalek Prime and his twenty children".

Seriously, you have the floor, and my attention. But for my benefit, please reference the page numbers, that I may go back and refresh.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Well, why don't you explain for us all, since you say you've read the book, all about Benatar's philosophy, and dissect it for us, me and other followers of your bilge? ...
Sure, as long as you explain what you think my 'bilge' is.
If you do, I'll reverse my vasectomy, and get a TV show, "Dalek Prime and his twenty children".
Why do you think having children would be so easy?
Seriously, you have the floor, and my attention. But for my benefit, please reference the page numbers, that I may go back and refresh.
Let's start from the beginning then shall we, I expect you to reference as well.

"... Those who do indeed decide to have a child might do so for any number of reasons, but among these reasons cannot be the interests of the potential child. One can never have a child for that child’s sake. That much should be apparent to everybody, even those who reject the stronger view for which I argue in this book—that not only does one not benefit people by bringing them into existence, but one always harms them. ..." Pg 2, D. Benatar.

I disagree that one does not benefit them, as being in existence is beneficial in the sense that no matter what life one lives there is always some benefit at some time so the blanket statement that one does not benefit them at all is just false. There is always the point that non-existence has no benefit as there is nothing to be benefitted. I also think it is in the interest of the 'potential' child as the point of potential life is to become an actuality rather than some other taking that place. Or do you argue that you should never have been born and wish you had not? As my take upon such things is that there is always the choice not to be alive, a choice denied to one if one is denied the opportunity to exist.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

This is your critique. Do continue.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:Why do you think having children would be so easy?
Because it happens in the majority of cases. Because it's happened 108 billion times since man's been around. Because the population has more than doubled since I've been here. So yeah, it's literally that fucking easy.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Because it happens in the majority of cases. Because it's happened 108 billion times since man's been around. Because the population has more than doubled since I've been here. So yeah, it's literally that fucking easy.
If you were in your teens or twenties and in a non-industrialised country then maybe but over that and in the industrialised 'West' then not so easy. Take a look at the fertility stats in those nations.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Because it happens in the majority of cases. Because it's happened 108 billion times since man's been around. Because the population has more than doubled since I've been here. So yeah, it's literally that fucking easy.
If you were in your teens or twenties and in a non-industrialised country then maybe but over that and in the industrialised 'West' then not so easy. Take a look at the fertility stats in those nations.
20% of Westerners are not having children. That's an astonishing amount. Hence the low stats.