Albert Camus

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

GreatandWiseTrixie

Re: Albert Camus

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Blaggard wrote: In every toil man is absurd and in every endeavour he is struggling, but every man can find a way to put the rock down.
Think what he's referring to is Godmode. When in godmode you look down at the ants listening to their Lady Gaga, playing their silly games, Going to their sh*tty job and hearing their corny jokes at the dinner table. It's like seeing an ape roll a rock around in the middle of a desert, breaking his back to do so.
Well it's just sickening and pathetic.

But what else is there to do? As what does a God do but sit around all day and do nothing. What a miserable thing in deed. Sometimes the God must splash herself into the water and dumb herself down to the ape's level to have any fun at all. Though, it's still not even fun at all hardly.

Thus, the God is filled with suicidal thoughts.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

DesolationRow wrote:
Blaggard wrote:It differs I think in providing an answer to the absurd, the absurd man according to Camus is noble and potentially a hero. In other philosophies the absurd is not recognised as valuable so much. Camus says the absurd hero is not just valuable but it is all of us if we choose to be.
Hmm I see what you're saying. And I think you're right that the absurd man's response seems to be what Camus is revered for. I just don't see how it is fundamentally different than Nietzsche's notion of the heroic man, whose self-mastery and nobility give meaning to his life which is otherwise meaningless (absurd). I suppose Camus was likely more sensitive to altruism and empathy in defining nobility than Nietzsche was, but in essence it seems they're both saying: Life is meaningless. You alone control your destiny and have the ability to choose to affirm life (or imagine Sisyphus happy) and therefore can give your own life meaning and purpose which should be the task of every individual.
I think so to.

I think you're carrying a pretty big rock their G&W.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Blaggard wrote:
DesolationRow wrote:
Blaggard wrote:It differs I think in providing an answer to the absurd, the absurd man according to Camus is noble and potentially a hero. In other philosophies the absurd is not recognised as valuable so much. Camus says the absurd hero is not just valuable but it is all of us if we choose to be.
Hmm I see what you're saying. And I think you're right that the absurd man's response seems to be what Camus is revered for. I just don't see how it is fundamentally different than Nietzsche's notion of the heroic man, whose self-mastery and nobility give meaning to his life which is otherwise meaningless (absurd). I suppose Camus was likely more sensitive to altruism and empathy in defining nobility than Nietzsche was, but in essence it seems they're both saying: Life is meaningless. You alone control your destiny and have the ability to choose to affirm life (or imagine Sisyphus happy) and therefore can give your own life meaning and purpose which should be the task of every individual.
I think so to.

I think you're carrying a pretty big rock their G&W.
What else is there to carry? Sit around and do nothing laughing at those who toil?
Mic84

Post by Mic84 »

Camelia wrote:Did you read any books by Albert Camus? He is very good! You should!
Yeah I've read some of his books.