The Stranger

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

MusicalSpirit

The Stranger

Post by MusicalSpirit »

by Camus.

Do you think the anti-hero of this story succeeds in affirming that life is worth living?
Ansiktsburk

Re: The Stranger

Post by Ansiktsburk »

MusicalSpirit wrote:by Camus.

Do you think the anti-hero of this story succeeds in affirming that life is worth living?
Right in the middle of it now, he just shot the guy (The Cure pretty much nailed it), I'll get back to this thread when I'm through. But from what I have gathered so far, he's essentially a zombie from the start, so I guess not.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

The guy who shot the bloke is like a new jesus, a jesus beyond religion. He is so open that, by his very nature, he comes up against the state, and loses, like Socrates? He is good, yet he has killed someone, an innocent? How is he life affirming? Is he like the main character out of The Idiot, a book by Dostoevsky?
bergie15

Post by bergie15 »

I don't think that Mersault affirms that life is worth living. He was very apathetic toward everything, and a nihilist. Though I haven't read the book in a while.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

he kills someone then admits to it, how could he be a character that affirms life?
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

I read it through, and I totally agree with Mersault, the summer sun and heat south of Copenhagen is the shits. Can drive anyone nuts. Nothing he did really says that he pissed on life. It was those law guys who went about his mother's funeral that got people howling. He was a tough guy from a tough neighbourhood, and you do not whine about stuff that upper class people do. He liked life as much as anyone else, I think.