Yves Simon

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Yves Simon

Post by tbieter »

I have decided to reread my eight books by the French Catholic philosopher, Yves Simon.
I'm almost finished with his brilliant study of free will, Freedom of Choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Choice-Yv ... yves+simon
See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16217
HexHammer

Re: Yves Simon

Post by HexHammer »

I'm afraid it doesn't really have anything to do with free will nor freedom of choice. It's just random nonsense, laughable at best.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

HexHammer wrote:I'm afraid it doesn't really have anything to do with free will nor freedom of choice. It's just random nonsense, laughable at best.
I finished the book this morning. I'll bet that you have not actually read it. Prove that I'm in error.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

tbieter wrote:
HexHammer wrote:I'm afraid it doesn't really have anything to do with free will nor freedom of choice. It's just random nonsense, laughable at best.
I finished the book this morning. I'll bet that you have not actually read it. Prove that I'm in error.
I'd like to place money on that too, if I may. People shouldn't comment on works they haven't read.

BTW tbeiter, have you read any Metzinger (Thomas, I believe). I'm thinking of giving him a read, and.looking for opinions.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

tbieter wrote:
Having finished Freedom of Choice, I began reading Work, Society, and Culture yesterday. The editor is Vukan Kuic, who, when I met him, was quite old.
http://www.amazon.com/Work-Society-Cult ... yves+simon
I have a fond memory of being with Professor Kuic. At an annual meeting of the American Maritain Association in New York City, we were at an evening session held at the Carnegie Center. At the conclusion of the session, I suggested that we return to our hotel and have a drink in the bar before we retired. He agreed, and as left the Carnegie building, I said that I'd get a cab. He said "no, he never took cabs. He always took the bus or the subway. We'd take the subway." I immediately thought: " The NYC Subway! I'm Dead!" Except for the smell, a guy sleeping or dead on the platform, and his colleague urinating, our return to the hotel was uneventful.
This was before the great Rudy Gulianni became the mayor and brought order and livability to the city.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Dalek Prime wrote:
tbieter wrote:
I'd like to place money on that too, if I may. People shouldn't comment on works they haven't read.

BTW tbeiter, have you read any Metzinger (Thomas, I believe). I'm thinking of giving him a read, and.looking for opinions.
This looks interesting:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ego-Tunnel-Sc ... 0465020690
Are you thinking of reading and discussing the book on a thread on this forum?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

He has a few books out. That might be a place to start. I'm interested in reading his opinion on the self, or lack of. If I have anything to comment on, I'd certainly be willing to discuss his ideas, sure.

(Just downloaded the epub version. The preview got my attention.)
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

I believe my link is to the very book we are talking about, in that book there's NOTHING about suggestion, any aspect of psychology nor the neural aspect of genetic memory and compulsions, but it's all talkative nonsense.

The very tragic thing is that you tards praises this garbage, only showing that how utterly stupid and ignorant you are.

https://books.google.dk/books?id=r88OIM ... on&f=false
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I'm talking about Metzinger, Hex. (Note I didn't call you tard, though it was welling up lol!)

Whist I'm at it Hex, are you Rick Lewis' annoying sock puppet, as he joked :?: I ask because you strangely never responded to his suggestion?

What say you, Socky?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Dalek Prime wrote:I'm talking about Metzinger, Hex. (Note I didn't call you tard, though it was welling up lol!)

Whist I'm at it Hex, are you Rick Lewis' annoying sock puppet, as he joked :?: I ask because you strangely never responded to his suggestion?

What say you, Socky?
Dalek, I was responding to tbieter and his silly claim about Yves Simon having any relevance and with people agreeing with tbieter on this. You should know that.
tbieter wrote:Yves Simon.
I'm almost finished with his brilliant study of free will, Freedom of Choice.
Would you take anyone serious that claimed I would fly around the universe speading rose leafs? ..would you dignify such idiotic statement with an answer? ..any reasonable intelligent person would see that as a fool's errand.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Fair enough Hex. I'm off the forum for good, anyways. Take care of yourself. Keep everyone honest. Cheers.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Dalek Prime wrote:Fair enough Hex. I'm off the forum for good, anyways. Take care of yourself. Keep everyone honest. Cheers.
Bye DP, fare thee well!
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

tbieter wrote:
tbieter wrote:
Having finished Freedom of Choice, I began reading Work, Society, and Culture yesterday. The editor is Vukan Kuic, who, when I met him, was quite old.
http://www.amazon.com/Work-Society-Cult ... yves+simon
I have a fond memory of being with Professor Kuic. At an annual meeting of the American Maritain Association in New York City, we were at an evening session held at the Carnegie Center. At the conclusion of the session, I suggested that we return to our hotel and have a drink in the bar before we retired. He agreed, and as left the Carnegie building, I said that I'd get a cab. He said "no, he never took cabs. He always took the bus or the subway. We'd take the subway." I immediately thought: " The NYC Subway! I'm Dead!" Except for the smell, a guy sleeping or dead on the platform, and his colleague urinating, our return to the hotel was uneventful.
This was before the great Rudy Gulianni became the mayor and brought order and livability to the city.
I finished Work, Society and Culture this morning.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

tbieter wrote:I finished Work, Society and Culture this morning.
I actually admire your stupidity, to read all that garbage without going mad, I envy your happily ignorance!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

HexHammer wrote:
tbieter wrote:I finished Work, Society and Culture this morning.
I actually admire your stupidity, to read all that garbage without going mad, I envy your happily ignorance!
I envy that you can mangle the English language, comment on stuff you've never read, and believe you're well informed, Hex. Such bliss.