Is Wikipedia ran by Bots??

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

GreatandWiseTrixie

Is Wikipedia ran by Bots??

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Ever wondered...just who wrote all of your wikipedia articles?
Polyphenol oxidase (PPO or monophenol monooxygenase or Polyphenol oxidase I, chloroplastic) is a tetramer that contains four atoms of copper per molecule, and binding sites for two aromatic compounds and oxygen.[1] The enzyme catalyses the o-hydroxylation of monophenols (phenol molecules in which the benzene ring contains a single hydroxyl substituent) to o-diphenols (phenol molecules containing two hydroxyl substituents). They can also further catalyse the oxidation of o-diphenols to produce o-quinones. It is the rapid polymerization of o-quinones to produce black, brown or red pigments (polyphenols) that is the cause of fruit browning. The amino acid tyrosine contains a single phenolic ring that may be oxidised by the action of PPOs to form o-quinone. Hence, PPOs may also be referred to as tyrosinases.

Arctic Apples are a suite of trademarked apples that contain a nonbrowning trait. Specifically, gene silencing is used to turn down the expression of polyphenol oxidase (PPO), thus preventing the fruit from browning. They are therefore genetically modified food.[2]
Seems botlike to you?

That's because it probably is. http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-this-au ... 1405305001

(Did some research, the particular quote I used was uploaded by K.murphy, edited by a couple bots and a couple people. More importantly, I'm having serious deja vu from this right now...)
Blaggard

Re: Is Wikipedia ran by Bots??

Post by Blaggard »

Kind of if you can call the only people who are allowed to post there bots. It used to be anyone could discuss the toss, now it is pretty much controlled by a vocal set of brain dead I am right and you are wrong morons, mostly North American but not all.

so yes it is run by bots. Robots of the worst kind, at least bots have an out, they are programmed by idiots GIGO (Garbage In Garbage OUT). One must ask what the terminally dull at wiki are doing except censoring all free thought these days. So much for the freedom of information, now it is written by the conformist twat who shouts the loudest. I use it still, but only to find links to actual facts in the citations. Mostly it's just a load of vascilating morons going around in ever decreasing circles, telling everyone what knowledge should be without bothering to know shit.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Do you mean 'run by robots'? I don't know what a 'bot' is. And no, it's not; robots would have better language skills. It's pretty useful though, and anyone who claims they never use it because it's beneath them is a liar.
Mic84

Post by Mic84 »

I don't think so.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Do you mean 'run by robots'? I don't know what a 'bot' is. And no, it's not; robots would have better language skills. It's pretty useful though, and anyone who claims they never use it because it's beneath them is a liar.
A bot is a program that has a defined function, and will carry it out by definition only in as much as it is able to be programmed to, much like most human beings. :)

10 print "hello"
15 n=1
20 for n = 1 to 1000
21 gosub 50
22 if n > 1000 n = 0
25 n+1
30 go to 10
50 rem: how dumb am I? return

Bots don't think, nor do most people but bots have an excuse.
PapersOwl

Post by PapersOwl »

Actually is possible, or maybe it's not bots but some people who decided to edit article