What Book Changed Your Mind?

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

PapersOwl

Re: What Book Changed Your Mind?

Post by PapersOwl »

Skip wrote:
PapersOwl wrote:This book and stories just inspired my, and make me feel like I can do anything :) But I need to read it more often because lose this faith so quickly :?
That's probably because it's not faith. It's pep-talks. The coach has to come back and yell at you again after every quarter.
You got to the point! I really need a reminder and motivation, this book gives me this
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Deterring Democracy by Noam Chomsky: Before reading Chomsky's political writings I was very a-political. Now I'm only slightly a-political, occasionally flip flopping between conservatism (though not in the American sense of the term) and liberalism.

The Cynics by R. Bracht Branham and Marie Odile Goulet-Caze: It was my first discovery of the Cynic philosophers of the ancient world. I've been fascinated by them ever since.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Gary Childress wrote:Deterring Democracy by Noam Chomsky: Before reading Chomsky's political writings I was very a-political. Now I'm only slightly a-political, occasionally flip flopping between conservatism (though not in the American sense of the term) and liberalism.

The Cynics by R. Bracht Branham and Marie Odile Goulet-Caze: It was my first discovery of the Cynic philosophers of the ancient world. I've been fascinated by them ever since.
I'm currently enjoying Sarah Bakewell's best-seller about Montaigne. The more I learn about Montaigne, the more I admire him. From his interest in the Stoics, I'm also exploring the philosophy.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Live-Montaign ... +montaigne
duszek

Post by duszek »

"Schuld" (= guilt) by Ferdinand von Schirach

He tells stories of people he used to defend as a defence attorney.
They help you to understand the human nature and its dark sides but also they make you realize that crime is not far away. It can happen next door any time or even in your own home or even ... :(
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

He certainly would have insight that's not merely academic or professional but somewhat closer to home. These are often the most worth reading.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

duszek,

That's the kind of book I'd like to read. Gonna have to find a good translation. Any suggestions?
Dubious

Re:

Post by Dubious »

henry quirk wrote:duszek,

That's the kind of book I'd like to read. Gonna have to find a good translation. Any suggestions?
http://www.amazon.com/Crime-Guilt-Ferdi ... 499&sr=1-1

...and not expensive.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Thanks.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Several years ago I was reading a lot of books about Zen Buddhism, and was struck by the similarity to the Lutheran Christian teachings. I decided to start attending church more regularly, and thought it really doesn't matter where I go, so I might as well go where I am the most comfortable. More recently I have read several books by Edward Hays, of modern parables, and several of the stories seemed quite meaningful to me.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

thedoc wrote:Several years ago I was reading a lot of books about Zen Buddhism, and was struck by the similarity to the Lutheran Christian teachings. I decided to start attending church more regularly, and thought it really doesn't matter where I go, so I might as well go where I am the most comfortable. More recently I have read several books by Edward Hays, of modern parables, and several of the stories seemed quite meaningful to me.
On the topic of religion (and mind changing books), many years ago I read Walter Stace's book, Mysticism and Philosophy. After reading it, I changed from atheism to agnosticism.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

thedoc wrote:Several years ago I was reading a lot of books about Zen Buddhism, and was struck by the similarity to the Lutheran Christian teachings. .
Selective bias is a form of delusion.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:Several years ago I was reading a lot of books about Zen Buddhism, and was struck by the similarity to the Lutheran Christian teachings. .
Selective bias is a form of delusion.
Select your delusions carefully, you will need to live with them.
Walker

Re: What Stories Do You Remember?

Post by Walker »

I read this short-story when it was first published and have remembered it.

Creation is a theme in the story.

Unaccompanied Sonata
Orson Scott Card

https://www.sindark.com/LaTeX/unaccompanied-sonata.pdf
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

For me Bertrand Russell's book "History Of Western Philosophy" was the most useful philosophy book because it surveys the entire field from Thales to Russell himself. For an update after Russell I have found "Essentials Of Philosophy" by James Mannion to be particularly helpful. And for a complete update on modern philosophy Roger Scruton's "Modern Philosophy" helped to modernize for me the various topics which are currently debated in Philosophy.

Mannion also covers Asian philosophies as well as modern self improvement groups including AA and their 12 step program. He also touches on the various female philosophers starting with Mary Wollstonecraft in the 1700's and her modern protegee's Steinem and Friedan, which most authors omit.

These books vaulted Philosophy to the forefront of my own life and rose above even science and religion as macro models for life on Earth.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

yiostheoy wrote:For me Bertrand Russell's book "History Of Western Philosophy" was the most useful philosophy book because it surveys the entire field from Thales to Russell himself. For an update after Russell I have found "Essentials Of Philosophy" by James Mannion to be particularly helpful. And for a complete update on modern philosophy Roger Scruton's "Modern Philosophy" helped to modernize for me the various topics which are currently debated in Philosophy.

Mannion also covers Asian philosophies as well as modern self improvement groups including AA and their 12 step program. He also touches on the various female philosophers starting with Mary Wollstonecraft in the 1700's and her modern protegee's Steinem and Friedan, which most authors omit.

These books vaulted Philosophy to the forefront of my own life and rose above even science and religion as macro models for life on Earth.
If you want the heavy dope in the matter of a history of philosophy you really need to consult the 11 volume Copelston's History. Russell is okay, but a bit brief, and not deep enough when you want to really find out what has been going on. Russell can also be a bit too honest in his limitations. For Hegel he simply declares himself incapable of penetrating it. For my money Hegel is an obscurantist twat, but Russell sort of gives up, Cop tries to unpack it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_History ... Copleston)

You can get it via PDF.
http://www.dhspriory.org/kenny/PhilText ... sophy1.pdf