Recommended Books to Read

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

WanderingLands

Recommended Books to Read

Post by WanderingLands »

Just some books that I both recommend and do have.

The Holy Bible
The Holy Qur'an
The Nag Hammadi Library
The Dead Sea Scrolls
The Aghora Series by Robert E. Svoboda
The Greatness of Saturn by Robert E. Svoboda
Travel Guide to Other Dimensions by Jeanette Woldman Ph.D
The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
The Ancient Black Hebrews and Arabs by Anu M'Bantu and Gert Muller
tbieter

Re: Recommended Books to Read

Post by tbieter »

Why no great novels; or Plato; or poetry; etc. Why not pursue the canon or the Harvard Classics which is available online?
duszek

Post by duszek »

A person reading these books may be wishing to create his own new religion. Feeling like a prophet himself.
We could add:
Anthroposophy by R. Steiner and Theosophy.
Tao de King.
Unpanishad.
Woodo.

What was the name of the man who created the Mormon religion ? John Smith ?
It was not so long ago.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

tbieter wrote:Why no great novels; or Plato; or poetry; etc. Why not pursue the canon or the Harvard Classics which is available online?
I have a Book on Philosophy from the Oxford University.
Also, I'm reading and studying Avicenna's Treratise on Logic.
For poetry and the arts, I'd recommend the Arthurian legends, or Homer's odessy. Anything that has actual creativity and something that brings more meaningfulness to the reader, as opposed to the garbage of the modern era.
Last edited by WanderingLands on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

duszek wrote:A person reading these books may be wishing to create his own new religion. Feeling like a prophet himself.
We could add:
Anthroposophy by R. Steiner and Theosophy.
Tao de King.
Unpanishad.
Woodo.

What was the name of the man who created the Mormon religion ? John Smith ?
It was not so long ago.
I have no motive of creating a new religion; those books that I've mentioned (Bible, Qur'an, Dead Sea Scrolls, Nag Hammadi texts) are for independent Comparative Religion studies.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Can you give some examples about how any passages from these books have helped you to live ?
Have given you new insights ? Have made you more happy ?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Books can be one´s best friends.
If they make explicit what one believes anyway to be true and worth of contemplation.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

duszek wrote:Books can be one´s best friends.
If they make explicit what one believes anyway to be true and worth of contemplation.
I used to say to my kids "Books are our friends." They all became avid readers. I've heard my son say the same thing to his kids, who are readers. Kids remember parental aphorisms.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Lord of the Flies

-Imp
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

duszek wrote:Can you give some examples about how any passages from these books have helped you to live ?
Have given you new insights ? Have made you more happy ?
I haven't been reading these books in some time now, but alright. I'll see what I remember.

Bible
Luke 17:21 - Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. (Is also said in the Gospel of Thomas #3)
Teachings of Jesus - Matthew Ch. 5-7

Qur'an
Surah 3:7 - It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah . But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding.
Surah 11:4-5 - And [saying], "Seek forgiveness of your Lord and repent to Him, [and] He will let you enjoy a good provision for a specified term and give every doer of favor his favor. But if you turn away, then indeed, I fear for you the punishment of a great Day. (4) To Allah is your return, and He is over all things competent." (5)

Dead Sea Scrolls
"In the days of ... has come the age of peace and the precepts of truth and the testimony of righteousness to make one understand the ways of God and the might of His dees for ever and ever." - a Passage from Time of Righteousness

I suggest, though, that you might either buy or read these books online. But hopefully it might encourage you to read them.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

WanderingLands wrote:I have a Book on Philosophy from the Oxford University. ...
Not quite the same as reading those we call the philosophers.
Also, I'm reading and studying Avicenna's Treratise on Logic.
Why not read Aristotle instead?
For poetry and the arts, I'd recommend the Arthurian legends, or Homer's odessy. Anything that has actual creativity and something that brings more meaningfulness to the reader, as opposed to the garbage of the modern era.
The modern era contains many great reads and good poetry. But what do you define as the 'modern era'?
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Arising_uk wrote:Not quite the same as reading those we call the philosophers.
Either way, I'm learning about different philosophies, though I do acknowledge what you're saying.
Arising_uk wrote:Why not read Aristotle instead?
I would like to read Aristotle in the near future, but I do like to hear others' philosophy and takes on Logic.
Arising_uk wrote:The modern era contains many great reads and good poetry. But what do you define as the 'modern era'?
I define the Modern Era as an era of decaying societies that creates conformity by indoctrinating people into Hollywood Junk Culture and forcing them into destructive public school systems that preach conformity rather than thinking. An era of no morals and no meaning.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

WanderingLands wrote:Either way, I'm learning about different philosophies, though I do acknowledge what you're saying.
Fair enough and I too have read a few of the books you mention.
Arising_uk wrote:I would like to read Aristotle in the near future, but I do like to hear others' philosophy and takes on Logic.
Again, fair enough and it does look an interesting read so I've downloaded it.
I define the Modern Era as an era of decaying societies that creates conformity by indoctrinating people into Hollywood Junk Culture and forcing them into destructive public school systems that preach conformity rather than thinking. An era of no morals and no meaning.
You want to go back to the time with no education for the masses? Where only the elites receive such? The modern era has produced, libraries, books and the Internet where much information is available for all to improve. What has gone is deference, you think this a bad thing? Hollywood pretty much retells the old legends in a new format, nothing more nothing less.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Arising_uk wrote:You want to go back to the time with no education for the masses? Where only the elites receive such? The modern era has produced, libraries, books and the Internet where much information is available for all to improve. What has gone is deference, you think this a bad thing? Hollywood pretty much retells the old legends in a new format, nothing more nothing less.
I'm by no means against education; I am, however, against the modern compulsory schooling system, which originated in Prussia back in the early 19th century which preached conformity and obedience to the state. It was brought into the United States by people like Horace Mann, and the ideology and agenda behind this was also promoted by John D. Rockefeller and many others. I suggest you read the works of John Taylor Gatto and New American Academy and the like that exposes this modern "educational" system.

John Taylor Gatto's website: https://www.johntaylorgatto.com/index.htm
The Prussian-Industrial History of Public Schooling: http://school.namaya.com/newamericanaca ... oling1.pdf

I believe that you should also read this article by Computer World on the TPP agreement and how the agreement seeks to give corporations and governments complete power over the Internet. The information which is very deep can only last in places like the Internet and other outlets before censorship starts to really reel in, which is why we must save whatever information we can find before it's too late.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/internet ... we-know-it

As for libraries, I don't know completely. If the Internet dies out as one of the few bastions of freedom of information and research, then hopefully the libraries at the many big and great universities in America and else where may still be open.
duszek

Post by duszek »

WanderingLands wrote: Bible
Luke 17:21 - Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. (Is also said in the Gospel of Thomas #3)
Teachings of Jesus - Matthew Ch. 5-7
You remember it.

But how has it influenced your life ? Can you develop ?

There is a letter of St. Paul to Corinthians, a passage from it is about love.
It depends how it is pronounced, in what atmosphere, to impress you.

In the film "Blue" the words are recited in such a way that they get to you.

Another example:

In Nietzsche´s Zarathustra there is a passage about desire.

In "France Culture" a French woman recited it once in such a way that I got to it (or the text to me).

Le désir veut ... une pro-fonde ... pro-fonde ... é-ter-ni-té ...

A voice can make a text alive, in a way.
Then it really speaks to you.
I don´t mean pathos, of course. Pathos turns words into the grotesque and ridiculous.

Have you made a similar experience with a particular text ?