Am I crazy?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Re: Am I crazy?

Post by duszek »

By sticks ? Why sticks ?

A simple stick rarely can bind my attention. Unless it is curiously carved perhaps.

Yesterday in a street car I watched an advertisement for laser surgery for eyes. I tried to figure out the psychological background of the picture, three smiling individuals on mats and with their thumbs up.
I at-tended to the picture (stretched towards it mentally) because it bound me (fascinated me). I was inter-ested.

How do you choose words then, Chaz ? Emotionally ? Impulsively ?
I would rather compose harmonious arrangements of words.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

duszek wrote:By sticks ? Why sticks ?

A simple stick rarely can bind my attention. Unless it is curiously carved perhaps.

Yesterday in a street car I watched an advertisement for laser surgery for eyes. I tried to figure out the psychological background of the picture, three smiling individuals on mats and with their thumbs up.
I at-tended to the picture (stretched towards it mentally) because it bound me (fascinated me). I was inter-ested.

I choose words intutively, until I'm stuck having forgotten a word then I use a dictionary.

The reason aI said sticks is because I assumed you knew the origin of fasces, fascist.

The fasces was the symbol adopted in the 1930s by the US and the Fascist countries, based on the item held by the Roman lictor (I think). It is a bundles of sticks and represents the strength of a binding. Sticks are weak alone, but strong together.

I'm sure you recognise it, now you see it.
It used to adorn the US dime, and can still be seen on many official monuments.

Piltdownbrain

Post by Piltdownbrain »

chaz wyman wrote:

I choose words intutively, until I'm stuck having forgotten a word then I use a dictionary.

The reason aI said sticks is because I assumed you knew the origin of fasces, fascist.

The fasces was the symbol adopted in the 1930s by the US and the Fascist countries, based on the item held by the Roman lictor (I think). It is a bundles of sticks and represents the strength of a binding. Sticks are weak alone, but strong together.

The fasces was a tomahawk enclosed within a sheath of sticks, symbolizing the judicial authority of a statist constitution. But we may have scales and blindfolds, we must remember that illiteracy required symbols to communicate with the slaves, neon lights are the modern version.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Piltdownbrain wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:

The fasces was a tomahawk enclosed within a sheath of sticks, symbolizing the judicial authority of a statist constitution. But we may have scales and blindfolds, we must remember that illiteracy required symbols to communicate with the slaves, neon lights are the modern version.
Tomahawk???
I don't think the Lictors of ancient Rome had a tomahawk.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

I think you are a rare rational thinking person, that stands outside of groupthink and are NOT naive, most other people are helpless sheep that can't really think for themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1zlCybdvdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnT2FcuZaYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5lBPr_iAY
Last edited by HexHammer on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John K

Post by John K »

HexHammer wrote:I'm you are a rare rational thinking person
Priceless.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

John K wrote:
HexHammer wrote:I'm you are a rare rational thinking person
Priceless.
Ye ye! Thanks mr Grammar Police for pointing it out, corrected now!
John K

Post by John K »

It's the low hanging fruit, you know.