another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

madera

Re: another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Post by madera »

I am new here and did not know this conversation has been going in since 2012.
.my understanding is coming from my spiritual experiences.
You seek to seek a solution from a shrink who gets hers from a book and probably has more problems than you.
The solutions are within, but the mind is so noisy we can't receive healings from within.
I would like to recommend a meditation that quiets the mind, not one that dulls the mind.
It is called "how your mind can keep you well". You can get it at amazon.
I wish you the best,
Madera
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

madera wrote:I am new here and did not know this conversation has been going in since 2012.
You seek to seek a solution from a shrink who gets hers from a book and probably has more problems than you.
The solutions are within, but the mind is so noisy we can't receive healings from within.
I would like to recommend a meditation that quiets the mind, not one that dulls the mind.
I wish you the best,
Madera
i am not entirely certain if the psychotherapy has done me much good - although I am certain that the welbutrin has. it may well be that talking cure does not do much but psychiatric drugs do.

however i did benefit from anger management classes - although the methods there were unorthodox and included prayer as one of the tools for keeping one's temper under control

but i described elsewhere - how after the last class myself and several of my fellow anger managers went for a coffee - and were accosted by a very rude drunk guy who made sexist and racist remarks (all the major genders and race groups were represented at our table)

if he had tried this shit with us - especially with the angry jocks at the table - before anger management - he would have probably found his head being ripped off and shoved up his ass

but now - we looked at each other - looked at him - and cracked up. other than me everyone at the table was a big testosterone-laden male - any one of them could have ripped that guys limbs off without even working up a sweat.
madera

Post by madera »

Kayla wrote:
madera wrote:I am new here and did not know this conversation has been going in since 2012.
I wish you the best,
Madera
i am not entirely certain if the psychotherapy has done me much good - although I am certain that the welbutrin has. it may well be that talking cure does not do much but psychiatric drugs do.

however i did benefit from anger management classes - although the methods there were unorthodox and included prayer as one of the tools for keeping one's temper under control

but i described elsewhere - how after the last class myself and several of my fellow anger managers went for a coffee - and were accosted by a very rude drunk guy who made sexist and racist remarks (all the major genders and race groups were represented at our table)

if he had tried this shit with us - especially with the angry jocks at the table - before anger management - he would have probably found his head being ripped off and shoved up his ass

but now - we looked at each other - looked at him - and cracked up. other than me everyone at the table was a big testosterone-laden male - any one of them could have ripped that guys limbs off without even working up a sweat.
I don't think you understand what I am trying to say. So all of them did not react, but, I assure you if it did not happen in a group, it is not because these people have changed their natures, but, putting on an act for the group.
Madera

PS
Drugs also have a negative effect on the organs of the body. Have you read the warnings? Time will tell. When the mind heals, the body heals.

I am not telling you not to take your drug, but, to know the way the mind works.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

i stayed in touch with one of my fellow anger managers - the big scary guy with facial tatoos

he credits the anger management with keeping him from killing some assholes who desperately deserve it, and then doing some serious prison time for it (his way of putting it)

he says he has not been involved in a violent altercation since the course. he was apparently involved in several situations that could have gone violent but was able to apply what he learned to deescalate
madera

Post by madera »

Unless the soul changes, nothing has changed.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Fascinating stuff, but I am a little confused. What do you mean by the word "soul", you make the point that you are not Christian, so it must have a Pagan meaning for you.
Tell me how to change my "soul" as you say this with certain authority. Two examples below:

The soul, according to many religious and philosophical traditions, is the self-aware essence unique to a particular living being. In these traditions the soul is thought to incorporate the inner essence of each living being, and to be the true basis for sapience. Psychic Experiences,

or the Catholic explanation goes into more detail of the "how to"

If you want to live in the deep blue sea, you need equipment you aren’t provided with naturally; you need something that will elevate you above your nature, something super- (that is, "above") natural, such as oxygen tanks.

It’s much the same with your soul. In its natural state, it isn’t fit for heaven. It doesn’t have the right equipment, and if you die with your soul in its natural state, heaven won’t be for you. What you need to live there is supernatural life, not just natural life. Catholic Answers.

Perhaps you have a third explanation...... your own.
madera

Post by madera »

reasonvemotion wrote:
Fascinating stuff, but I am a little confused. What do you mean by the word "soul", you make the point that you are not Christian, so it must have a Pagan meaning for you.
Tell me how to change my "soul" as you say this with certain authority. Two examples below:

The soul, according to many religious and philosophical traditions, is the self-aware essence unique to a particular living being. In these traditions the soul is thought to incorporate the inner essence of each living being, and to be the true basis for sapience. Psychic Experiences,

or the Catholic explanation goes into more detail of the "how to"

If you want to live in the deep blue sea, you need equipment you aren’t provided with naturally; you need something that will elevate you above your nature, something super- (that is, "above") natural, such as oxygen tanks.

It’s much the same with your soul. In its natural state, it isn’t fit for heaven. It doesn’t have the right equipment, and if you die with your soul in its natural state, heaven won’t be for you. What you need to live there is supernatural life, not just natural life. Catholic Answers.

Perhaps you have a third explanation...... your own.
Where did I say I am not Christian? I said I was not religious. I don't learn from reading, I learn from the Holy Spirit.

There is no how to, there is overcoming the sins of the soul that have been corrupted.
The soul never dies.
I am not good at long posts so I do say what my view on my experiences. This is my own, I know no other.
madera

Post by madera »

Kayla wrote:as,

i think you may be on to something about adults often not liking to see other people happy

my brother and i - me more than him - being unable to cope with being apart from each other at all was a problem - it got in the way of all sorts of things

but our parents among others - think that our desire to stay together should not influence our decision on what university to go to after high school - going to the right school is more important in their view that us staying together

as far as i am concerned i would rather go to a local community college and stay with him rather than go to harvard and see him for christmas and thanksgiving - i do not see a problem here

and a lot of people seem to have difficulty with the notion of physical affection with no sex - and the idea of sleeping in the same bed without having sex

we never had a problem with the other having a boyfriend or a girlfriend although our closeness was an issue for our dates - we are now dating a brother sister pair who are also very close and understand

You are dating??? You posted that you are married. is this a part of your problem? Come on Kayla, fess up.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

madera wrote: You are dating??? You posted that you are married. is this a part of your problem? Come on Kayla, fess up.
you are looking at a posting from Jun 28, 2012

i am now married (as is my brother) - although not to the people we were dating in june of 2012
madera

Post by madera »

Kayla wrote:
madera wrote: You are dating??? You posted that you are married. is this a part of your problem? Come on Kayla, fess up.
you are looking at a posting from Jun 28, 2012

i am now married (as is my brother) - although not to the people we were dating in june of 2012
Sorry Kayla Time sure does fly. 2 pages later and I am in 2014..
I better put my glasses on.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

two years ago seems like such a long time

i was still in high school

i was dating a boy who i thought was the one
madera

Post by madera »

Kayla wrote:two years ago seems like such a long time

i was still in high school

i was dating a boy who i thought was the one
Kayla
Take my word for it, 2 year is a drop in the bucket.
I am 91 years old and let me tell you it seems like yesterday that I was 20.

Before you know it that is why we have to stop making mistakes that keep us sick. Getting emotions in check.
WE have to find get rid of all stress by meditating. I started when I was in my 30s and it saved my sanity. I was a total wreck and my kids paid for it. That guilt led me to find God in my life, thank Him for the peace I have today

Wish you the best Kayla
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

apart from trying to go off my meds i think my extreme emotions are under control these days

the court ordered anger management class did include some meditative techniques - and I know they do help

children do not get me angry or upset, never did - never understood how anyone can get angry at a child, it is their nature to do stupid things being angry at them is like being angry at volcanoes. for a while my parents would deal with my being hysterical by sending my kid brother to hang out with me - i could never be angry with him or around him

ok so i had some weird family dynamics going on but who doesnt

but i used to throw some epic fits of hysteria, and have on occasion lashed out violently where there was a better way of handling the situation. it does not help that middle school and high schools are basically insane asylums - for a while i was one of the crazier inmates
madera

Post by madera »

Kayla wrote:apart from trying to go off my meds i think my extreme emotions are under control these days

the court ordered anger management class did include some meditative techniques - and I know they do help

children do not get me angry or upset, never did - never understood how anyone can get angry at a child, it is their nature to do stupid things being angry at them is like being angry at volcanoes. for a while my parents would deal with my being hysterical by sending my kid brother to hang out with me - i could never be angry with him or around him

ok so i had some weird family dynamics going on but who doesnt

but i used to throw some epic fits of hysteria, and have on occasion lashed out violently where there was a better way of handling the situation. it does not help that middle school and high schools are basically insane asylums - for a while i was one of the crazier inmates
Your mom was wise when you were hysterical by sending you to your brother who was the child whisperer in the family, that is where you got it from.
lucky you.
It doesn't look like you had a bad childhood.
Mine was a disaster.
Your going to be okay, just keep doing what is working for you, you are aware enough to know meds are not the solution, but, a temporary necessity.
Madera

I want to add that your mother did a great thing, I am assuming there was no father in the house and she made a man out of a young men to be a father substitute to you.
Your mom was a woman who loved her kids by doing that.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

madera wrote:Your mom was wise when you were hysterical by sending you to your brother who was the child whisperer in the family, that is where you got it from.
all of my brothers are like super calm so i would make up for it by being their hysterical sister

but only my little brother has this instant calming effect on me
It doesn't look like you had a bad childhood.
all things considered my parents are very sane, despite being southern US baptist republicans
I want to add that your mother did a great thing, I am assuming there was no father in the house and she made a man out of a young men to be a father substitute to you.
Your mom was a woman who loved her kids by doing that.
not sure what made you think that - i grew up with both parents

but the kids were expected to take care of each other as they could - i was very surprised not that long ago to find out that some ppl will actually want money from their parents for babysitting younger siblings - the idea has simply never occurred to me