another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Kayla

Re: another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Post by Kayla »

my twin and i were looking at university and college information over the weekend, looking for one that will work for both of us

a visiting asshole uncle told us that we should get used to the idea that we will not always live together

i wanted to punch him although i didnt

also i did not burst into tears so i am making some progress
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Kayla wrote:my twin and i were looking at university and college information over the weekend, looking for one that will work for both of us

a visiting asshole uncle told us that we should get used to the idea that we will not always live together

I thought you said that you were not hung-up on staying together with your twin?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

That must have felt good. Progress plus.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

chaz wyman wrote:I thought you said that you were not hung-up on staying together with your twin?
oh i got over getting major panic attacks if i am away from him for more than a day

but we are still going to stay together but if either of us has to go away for a week or two that is not going to be a problem
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

reasonvemotion wrote:When I was around 18 my best friends, were twin girls, Bennie and Bobbie We went everywhere together and I was always in the "middle" even when we all slept together. LOL. They slept together up until one marrried. One married and the other remained single. It seemed they were always waiting to be reunited with each again. It sort of didnt work for them, being separated. :(
its unfortunate that sleeping is so associated with sex unless its girls sleeping together

but if its guys or a guy and a girl it is seen as sexual
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Kayla wrote:its unfortunate that sleeping is so associated with sex unless its girls sleeping together

but if its guys or a guy and a girl it is seen as sexual
Is this some kind of Brian dog bait because this statement is so entirely inaccurate. Stating to any red blooded male that two girls are sleeping together causes steam to blow out of their ears as their poorly developed imagination goes into overdrive...
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

guys hearing about two girls sleeping together will have sexual images involving themselves and those two girls but they will usually know that there is a good chance all they are doing is sleeping
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

my shrink does not think i have borderline personality disorder any more

yay!

i have been reading up on it and i dont think i ever had it but whatever
EUncle

Post by EUncle »

Kayla wrote:
John wrote:Just don't learn how to punch properly and beat the shit out of someone. Please.
i ve done karate for a while then did kendo and now giving krav maga a try - just got my p1 (equivalent of yellow belt

never had the urge to just beat the shit out of someone just cause - even when i used violence inappropriately it was never on anyone entirely undeserving of it
Sorry to open an old post.. My 13yo daughter was just diagnosed with budding BPD. She's basically majorly depressed and suicidal. I currently take Krav Maga and was thinking about having my daughter start taking lessons. Do you feel KM has been beneficial to your mental health? Would you recommend it as 'therapy'?

Thanks
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Sorry to butt in but any physical exercise should do some good I would think. I hope it works for her.

With respect to KM, I think a better physical exertion and martial art would be to find a good boxing-trainer who holds mixed-sex kids classes with the aim of just teaching the skills and training techniques. My son goes to one and the girls there are awesome and it has built his confidence no-end to learn this art. His fitness levels and physique are going through the roof. Find one who only allows body-sparring(when they are fit enough), no head shots, at least until much older. Personally I think this a much more practical and effective martial art than just about anything else and the benefits appear many, increased confidence, discipline, control, poise, and you certainly learn to hit and avoid getting hit.
EUncle

Post by EUncle »

Thanks for the post. I'm going to take her by for an Intro class. Hopefully she'll like it.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

KM is useful if you are in a fight who is in a good boxing stance and you cant really get a good upper body or head shot in

then you kick him in the kneecaps or gonads.

i mean why would you want to box a boxer that is dumb

now i am doing mma cause there is no KM in my area, and learning more of the ground fighting stuff - KM does not really get into that much, focusing in just avoiding it

sparring that includes head shots is good in that you find out that if you are punched in the head and see stars and get an instant headache its not actually so bad you can keep going - which can be vital in a real fight

you just dont want to do too much of that cause you will start getting brain damage
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

speaking of psychiatric matters

i am not seeing a psychiatrist any more

i am taking the lowest possible dose of wellbutrin and that seems to be enough
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Kayla wrote:...
now i am doing mma cause there is no KM in my area, and learning more of the ground fighting stuff - KM does not really get into that much, focusing in just avoiding it ...
Ah! See, I agree that mma is the way to go if you wish to learn to fight, as its boxing, wrestling and kicking, i.e nearly all the distances. Although if you really wish to learn to fight for survival then you should add Richard Dimitri's Senshido but it's bloody hard to find a trainer outside of Canada.

My take was just that boxing training is simple, effective and cathartic in that expending energy hitting things correctly is satisfying. On top of that the training is simple and disciplined. It also helps against the average punter. :)
p.s.
It's amazing how many martial arts don't teach ducking and slipping and how when you've done this you should be immediately hitting.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Ducking is wasted time, potentially leaving one wide open. In my style of Japanese Karate, Chito-Ryu, one is taught to use the physics of the other person, much like Judo, in that a block is used in conjunction with their strike, even adding to their momentum, then a swift counter attack before they can recover, using them against themselves, poetic justice?

Also, in our style, during sparring the following areas are out of bounds, groin, kidneys, back, head and neck. One can only strike legs, arms, stomach and chest, the out of bounds areas can be targeted, but 'pulling' to within 2" must be employed. Pulling is defined as an equal and opposite force, being applied to the strike, at the very last moment, (muscle tension), to insure a proximity of no less than 2". The theory is that during a real life or death fight, it's easy enough for one to not pull, in which case the target of kime is supposed to be 2"-4" beyond the actual physical targets contact area. They also sometimes use light armor, of canvas covered/padded thin boards that give a little when struck. Of course punching bags and Makiwara, are used in singular practice sessions, as targets.

Additionally stretch, is a very big part of the practice sessions, so as to affect being extremely limber, and loose, a natural stress reducer, and speed enabler, speed being the most important part of any block/counter attack, in self defense.