another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Kayla
Posts: 1108
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:31 am

Re: another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Post by Kayla » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:17 am

madera wrote:I am not thinking filthy things concerning you and your brother.
good

i know a number of twin brother sister pairs who are not very happy with Game of Thrones

i mean, its a great show. but people have filthy minds. I know one pair who are both very blonde so ppl at school have taken to calling them Jamie and Cersei
If something happened to your brother, being so close, could either of you survive?
I think not, especially with your emotions.
Think!
that is getting kind of really personal don't you think?

but here is no such thing as 'personal' in murder investigations and philosophy discussions is there

i dont think either of us would do well - my brother probably better than me.

with other people - no matter how much i love them - i know that there is a difference, to me, whether it is me or them dying. this difference does not exist as far as my brother is concerned.

we talked about it. both of us want the other to be able to have a normal life should something fatal happen to one of us.

brings back the memories (a bit hazy for me) of a bout of meningitis i had a while back - where my changes of dying were in the double percentiles - not high doubles but still very real

i was in coma for about three days and for that time my brother did not eat anything and drank very little

and at the hospital they actually let him stay in my room past visiting hours - they figured letting him sleep in a chair was better than having to deal dragging him away

madera
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 11:45 pm

Re: another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Post by madera » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:48 pm

Kayla wrote:
madera wrote:I am not thinking filthy things concerning you and your brother.
good

i know a number of twin brother sister pairs who are not very happy with Game of Thrones

i mean, its a great show. but people have filthy minds. I know one pair who are both very blonde so ppl at school have taken to calling them Jamie and Cersei
If something happened to your brother, being so close, could either of you survive?
I think not, especially with your emotions.
Think!
that is getting kind of really personal don't you think?

but here is no such thing as 'personal' in murder investigations and philosophy discussions is there

i dont think either of us would do well - my brother probably better than me.

with other people - no matter how much i love them - i know that there is a difference, to me, whether it is me or them dying. this difference does not exist as far as my brother is concerned.

we talked about it. both of us want the other to be able to have a normal life should something fatal happen to one of us.

brings back the memories (a bit hazy for me) of a bout of meningitis i had a while back - where my changes of dying were in the double percentiles - not high doubles but still very real

i was in coma for about three days and for that time my brother did not eat anything and drank very little

and at the hospital they actually let him stay in my room past visiting hours - they figured letting him sleep in a chair was better than having to deal dragging him away

Does that sound like a healthy relationship?

User avatar
Kayla
Posts: 1108
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:31 am

Re: another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Post by Kayla » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:22 am

madera wrote:Does that sound like a healthy relationship?
it is not unusual for twins to be told - by parents, mental health professionals, random strangers on the internet - that they are too close, that their relationship is so close as to be unhealthy

not entirely sure what that even means

our relationship is what it is

as babies and toddlers we screamed if we were not within sight of each other - that was the only thing my brother ever screamed about - apparently he was a very easy baby otherwise

this was not always convenient for those around us

should our parents forced separation from time to time just get us used to it? Personally I doubt if that would do any good

we held hands way past the age it is considered appropriate for brothers and sisters to hold hands

at some point we realized that doing so in public caused a reaction but we continued holding hands when we could get away with it - and we still hold hands sometimes

we can tell each other anything - and we have our own secret language!

this lack of barriers means extraordinary access to each others thoughts - in effect we can make use of each others brain (not sure how else to describe it)

i think we pretty much have to take the bad with the good

madera
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 11:45 pm

Re: another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Post by madera » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:41 am

Kayla wrote:
madera wrote:Does that sound like a healthy relationship?
it is not unusual for twins to be told - by parents, mental health professionals, random strangers on the internet - that they are too close, that their relationship is so close as to be unhealthy

not entirely sure what that even means

our relationship is what it is

as babies and toddlers we screamed if we were not within sight of each other - that was the only thing my brother ever screamed about - apparently he was a very easy baby otherwise

this was not always convenient for those around us

should our parents forced separation from time to time just get us used to it? Personally I doubt if that would do any good

we held hands way past the age it is considered appropriate for brothers and sisters to hold hands

at some point we realized that doing so in public caused a reaction but we continued holding hands when we could get away with it - and we still hold hands sometimes

we can tell each other anything - and we have our own secret language!

this lack of barriers means extraordinary access to each others thoughts - in effect we can make use of each others brain (not sure how else to describe it)

i think we pretty much have to take the bad with the good
In other words you have one identity. your life depends on him and his life depends on you in order to exist.

that is emotionally unhealthy. I hope you and he are strong enough to take the bad.
That situation almost took place, didn't it?
Louise

User avatar
Kayla
Posts: 1108
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:31 am

Re: another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Post by Kayla » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:57 am

i think where it becomes unhealthy - and detrimental to the people involved - is when the twins' world becomes limited to just themselves - where they think they do not need, and do not seek out relationships with other people

and if in that situation something happens to one of the twins that is truly devastating

in our case were were a bit slow when it came to playing with other children - and our parents were bit worried for a while - and then - i am told pretty much from one day to the next at some point in grade two we started socializing with other kids.

when we started dating there were some issues as some dates had trouble with us being so close - but now our spouses have no issue with our closeness

madera23
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Post by madera23 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:11 am

Kayla wrote:i think where it becomes unhealthy - and detrimental to the people involved - is when the twins' world becomes limited to just themselves - where they think they do not need, and do not seek out relationships with other people

and if in that situation something happens to one of the twins that is truly devastating

in our case were were a bit slow when it came to playing with other children - and our parents were bit worried for a while - and then - i am told pretty much from one day to the next at some point in grade two we started socializing with other kids.

when we started dating there were some issues as some dates had trouble with us being so close - but now our spouses have no issue with our closeness

wish you the best take care.kayla. just trying to help.
madera

User avatar
Kayla
Posts: 1108
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:31 am

Re: another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Post by Kayla » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 pm

wow i started this thread just a bit over two years ago

seems like forever

i was a bit messed up back then

i am down to one psychiatric diagnosis - clinical depression - under control with a low daily dose of wellbutrin

and i no longer throw major fits of temperament on regular basis

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest