In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Post by marjoram_blues » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:15 am

Tamsuan wrote:Greta you have to understand that old codgers like myself haven't yet got the hang of PC talk. It's pretty baffling at times. It seems you guys are miffed if we do and miffed if we don't. So straw person is good? Okay, how about chairperson of the board; good? But definitely not hootchy cootchy person, I take it. I'll make note of this.
Actually, since the topic here is "In Times of Trouble - what do you do?" I was posting light-heartedly to hint at something I don't recommend doing in response to adversity.

It's a rough world, I find. People don't always treat me the way I would like to be treated or speak with the words I would prefer to hear. People don't always vote in the way I would like either. If, when this sort of thing happens, I take myself too seriously, become offended or mortified, dive headfirst into anguish and despondency, how does that help? It just drains my energy and makes me not only unhappy but ineffective as well. That's what I don't recommend. On the other hand:

Laughter releases endorphins into the bloodstream which contribute to health and support coping abilities. It really works.
Do you dress like a clown?
Do you wear bright colours?
Do you paint your face?
Do you always use the excuse of being an 'old codger' to talk lightly of apparent inability to flex your language skills and any new vocabulary ?
Do you have a habit of using humour in a way that isn't necessarily funny?

Do you always talk in generalised terms, like 'you guys' when responding to someone you think is of a different generation, or gender? And throw in a tint of sarcasm...'I'll make note of this'.
If challenged about using this kind of 'humour', do you accuse the person of being too sensitive - shrug and say, it was only a joke, lighten up! I have seen this tactic before and it is not funny.

I understand the benefits of laughter. And there is something called 'laughter therapy'. Trust me, I love to laugh but usually spontaneously. I also can poke fun at myself for being too serious - and tell myself to lighten up.
Also place things in perspective.
Looking at the sky and knowing how little we all are...

However, there are times when it is not possible to laugh. (And this is not the same as 'diving in to despondency' as some kind of avoidance therapy)
This too is not the end of the world. A certain degree of sadness is a perfectly natural reaction.
An occasional duvet day to rest up and re-energise might be seen as self indulgent but so what? If it works, and doesn't become a habit, then all is good.

Time passes. We get used to a new reality, and new words enter the dictionary. A realisation of how language is used by opposite parties to manipulate and control. That is important. At any age.
Now smile :)

User avatar
Tamsuan
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:17 am
Location: Thailand

Re: In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Post by Tamsuan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Marjoram _Blues, good for you! Sounds to me that you are making progress.

You asked "what do you do?" and I told you honestly what I do. No personal criticism was intended. Sorry that you seemed to take it that way.

I can only wish you tranquility and contentment as time goes on.

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Post by marjoram_blues » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Tamsuan wrote:Marjoram _Blues, good for you! Sounds to me that you are making progress.

You asked "what do you do?" and I told you honestly what I do. No personal criticism was intended. Sorry that you seemed to take it that way.

I can only wish you tranquility and contentment as time goes on.
Tamsuan, sounds to me like you are a condescending, pretentious fool. But appearances can be deceptive...
Think on.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re:

Post by Greta » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Marjoram, I think we are supposed to grateful for condescending advice. Do you have the message that the word "man" must never be replaced with 'person"? It's essentially a claim that language is unimportant and does not shape people's thoughts, which makes clear these members' disconnect with reality.

I also like a bit of fun in hard times and admit to feeling inappropriately pleased with the Dr Seuss and chaps crack earlier :)

User avatar
TSBU
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Re: Re:

Post by TSBU » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:53 pm

Greta wrote:Marjoram, I think we are supposed to grateful for condescending advice. Do you have the message that the word "man" must never be replaced with 'person"? It's essentially a claim that language is unimportant and does not shape people's thoughts, which makes clear these members' disconnect with reality.

I also like a bit of fun in hard times and admit to feeling inappropriately pleased with the Dr Seuss and chaps crack earlier :)
It would be the fourth time to say that I don't give a fuck about it and you are using this to evade your mistake. You are talking to convince yourself XD.
because "strawman" probably sounds "opresive" to you.
you and a few people say "straw person", because it makes sense to you, and it's fine for me, as long as I can understand you, and the rules say it's ok, well, ok
Then why do you talk about "remasculiniation" impliying that it means geting away from intelligence, compassion, etc? Because, talking about straws-whatevers, that was my main motive to write. Maybe you should change that words to make them have sense too. I'm just doing the same you say you did (but without the concrete exact meaning that straw man has, and "masculine" doesn't have), I'm just saying that being a man doesn't mean to be a monkey.
As I said, you are against 500 years, and, as I said, don't fight a strawman, just dont call men monkeys, thats the important part.
Maybe I should say that the "refemeninization" of society means that people are becoming more stupid, weaker, smaller, unable to controll their behaviour, liers, etc... sounds good to you? It's as ridiculous as the other.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: TSBU's thread hijack

Post by Greta » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:59 pm

TSBU, repeating your erroneous charge does not make it correct. The non gendered term, "straw person" is routinely accepted as correct in universities. You are claiming "straw person" to be incorrect because that's what you want to be true.

Google "straw person" in academic institutions for just a few minutes and you will see how wrong you are. The traditional term is most common but the non gendered alternative is accepted as correct. I now await the apology.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Post by Greta » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:02 pm

BTW, your other complaints are too incoherent to warrant a reply. Your inability to comprehend issues I speak about is not my problem.

User avatar
TSBU
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Post by TSBU » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:28 pm

Greta wrote:TSBU, repeating your erroneous charge does not make it correct. The non gendered term, "straw person" is routinely accepted as correct in universities. You are claiming "straw person" to be incorrect because that's what you want to be true.

Google "straw person" in academic institutions for just a few minutes and you will see how wrong you are. The traditional term is most common but the non gendered alternative is accepted as correct. I now await the apology.
Image

Impenitent
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Post by Impenitent » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 pm

in times of trouble, the straw person, aka. scarecrow, followed the yellow brick road...

-Imp

User avatar
TSBU
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Post by TSBU » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:07 am

Greta wrote:TSBU, repeating your erroneous charge does not make it correct. The non gendered term, "straw person" is routinely accepted as correct in universities. You are claiming "straw person" to be incorrect because that's what you want to be true.

Google "straw person" in academic institutions for just a few minutes and you will see how wrong you are. The traditional term is most common but the non gendered alternative is accepted as correct. I now await the apology.
you and a few people say "straw person", because it makes sense to you, and it's fine for me, as long as I can understand you, and the rules say it's ok, well, ok

1.She is not reading what I write. ->evasion
2.She wants to see if I get angry by keeping doing the same. ->bad person (and stupid)
3.She can't understand->stupid

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:32 am

TSBU wrote:
Greta wrote:TSBU, repeating your erroneous charge does not make it correct. The non gendered term, "straw person" is routinely accepted as correct in universities. You are claiming "straw person" to be incorrect because that's what you want to be true.

Google "straw person" in academic institutions for just a few minutes and you will see how wrong you are. The traditional term is most common but the non gendered alternative is accepted as correct. I now await the apology.
you and a few people say "straw person", because it makes sense to you, and it's fine for me, as long as I can understand you, and the rules say it's ok, well, ok

1.She is not reading what I write. ->evasion
2.She wants to see if I get angry by keeping doing the same. ->bad person (and stupid)
3.She can't understand->stupid
In times of trouble > ACAS
Or just get over yourself.
Really, just stop it.
If you want to clear up the deeper issue which Greta raised, then start another thread - the pair of you :roll:

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Post by Greta » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:50 am

marjoram_blues wrote:In times of trouble > ACAS
Or just get over yourself.
Really, just stop it.
If you want to clear up the deeper issue which Greta raised, then start another thread - the pair of you :roll:
I just want him to go away. I am interested in speaking about interesting things that enrich the soul, not arguing with axe grinders.

If he wants to start such a thread I want no part of it. In fact, it's probably best for me to leave forums in general for a while until I can work out how to ignore misrepresentation.

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:33 am

Greta wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:In times of trouble > ACAS
Or just get over yourself.
Really, just stop it.
If you want to clear up the deeper issue which Greta raised, then start another thread - the pair of you :roll:
I just want him to go away. I am interested in speaking about interesting things that enrich the soul, not arguing with axe grinders.

If he wants to start such a thread I want no part of it. In fact, it's probably best for me to leave forums in general for a while until I can work out how to ignore misrepresentation.
Understood. But let's not make this about you and TSBU. Engaging neutral...

Have you read Mary Midgley's PN article ' A Golden Manifesto' ?
She talks of the two-person tournament style of philosophy; the competitive arguments where clever, young men were more interested in winning... to preserve their ego. The constant obsession meant that central issues were neglected - no serious attempt at discussion. During the war, she and 3 other female philosophers were able ( due to lack of men ) to practice a different, more cooperative style; more effective or realistic, applied to real life.

I think that some posters can be slightly intimidating and impatient during any cut and thrust style argumentation.
This can be fascinating to observe, and sometimes instructive when eg fallacies etc are pointed out.
However, some seem to arrive here in full throttle with a negative approach; their aim to clear the board of players. The hostile tone, bordering on harrasment, leads to a shutting down rather than a promotion of effective philosophy. A favourite weapon of choice seems to be ' Misrepresentation'.

It is important to keep a focus on the idea or issue being presented, rather than the person. But we all know that. So, why do we allow the big noisy personalities to distract us from real ethical problems...involving a greater range of possibilities rather than the black and white simplicities.

Divisions distract from dealing with the here and now. The real war ( not a game ) behind the scenes; the media being played and plagued with 'alternative facts'. Talk about Misrepresentation !

Where there is genuine confusion between 2 PN players surrounding an important topic, it is necessary to be cooperative rather than combative. That is, if philosophy is about understanding another's point of view, standing back and not about easy assuming and attacking.
Now, more than ever, we all need to be vigilant - language is being twisted to make traitors out of protestors.
Who dares criticise or object to unethical measures...

Me? I'm a coward, keeping my head under the duvet :)

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:07 am

Impenitent wrote:in times of trouble, the straw person, aka. scarecrow, followed the yellow brick road...

-Imp

...and the Tin Person...

User avatar
TSBU
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Re: In Times of Trouble - what do you do?

Post by TSBU » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:15 am

For you the last word. And good news for evryobody. Except maybe Harbal.
The thing that I like the most about this world is that everybody can always get what he wants in a way.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest