Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TSBU

Re: Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Post by TSBU »

I want someone to create this topic. Survival techniques for people with brain.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Skip wrote:How about 'hypersensitive'?
Some people are more intensely aware of, and responsive to their environment than the norm. That's to be expected, since the members of a species are never all the same; individuals are imbued with a complement of their natural characteristics on a scale of magnitude.

If one is close to either end of a scale on any particular trait, or set of traits that form a characteristic type, that person will have very specific problems in relating to people on the middle of the scale. He or she will then have to devise strategies for coping with interaction.

The one stated in the OP is a simplistic guideline, but I don't think it's wrong.
The Hyper Sensitive Person will probably be forced to pretend greater confidence than they feel; be more assertive than they're comfortable with; frequently hide or disguise their instinctive reactions; always refrain from saying the first thing that comes to mind.
They will have to train themselves not to flinch from handshakes and back-slaps and uninvited hugs (because middle-norms would take that as a personal rejection and be offended). They will have to practice smiles - different ones for various social encounters. They will have to feign indifference or even pleasure at remarks that they actually find intrusive, too personal. They must be on their guard every minute that they spend among middle-norms.
Given all this, HSP's tire very quickly in the company of regular people. They need double or longer rest, solitude, recovery time. They need to budget for extra down-time during the course of every day, as well as at the end of a work- or school-week.
It's important for parents to recognize this characteristic in their HSP child, just as it's important to catch dyslexia or Asperger's as early as possible, so as to help the child learn coping strategies before they're out on their own.
Thank you, Skip, yes I meant hypersensitive.

These people perceive too much in one go, a big load of impressions, a big input, which can be too much soon and so they need to switch off.

These people have a very low appetite for travels, entertainments.
They are easy to please in a way.
They can live frugal lives and they hardly ever get bored.

Being hypersensitve does not mean that you are a narcissistic irriscible ego-shoter.
Hypersensitive people often are over-empathetic too.
So they should not work as paramedics probably.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Greta

Competitive sanctimony is not an option. The hypersensitive person is doomed because the normal sensitive majority will win always.

The hypersensitive person can only try to adapt and to offer something in return for being tolerated.
Skip

Post by Skip »

I guess they should also never mention their condition, nor let on that they have it. Look at the hostility I drew just by accepting hypersensitivity as an existing state or condition that somebody can have.
I see the same kind of reaction to IBS. I know someone who has ... some kind of digestive system malfunction that causes them considerable pain and inconvenience, but they must never mention "irritable bowel", for fear of scorn and resentment.
I don't know why people who are lucky enough enough to be healthy and normal are so adamant in their refusal to acknowledge that other people might be different.
I guess this is why soldiers with PTSD are still yelled-at to stop snivelling and man up!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

If you are hypersensitive (painful sensory input) you may find relief by way of treatment or therapy or medicine.

If you are hypersensitive (thin-skinned, spoiled, etc.): grow the hell up.
Skip

Post by Skip »

In either case, stay clear of cavemen.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Yep.
duszek

Re:

Post by duszek »

henry quirk wrote:If you are hypersensitive (painful sensory input) you may find relief by way of treatment or therapy or medicine.
Really ?

Is there really any treatment or therapy or medicine available ?

A common sense tough guy could invent one quickly himself: let the wimp join the boy scouts and survive the bullying and then his emotions will die out.

Is there no deal imaginable between a hypersensitive person and a caveman ?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

As I say, the person with painfully acute senses 'may' find relief through medical science...I have no idea if any treatments or technologies to aid such afflicted folks actually exist. Being hobbled that way is a cruel trick of biology.

As for the 'other' hypersenstives (the pussies): fuck 'em and fuck their safe-space-seeking souls.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Posers.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Which ones?
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Everybody.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Everyone (including you and me, yes?).
Walker

Post by Walker »

Golden Globes.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I knew a girl with golden globes, front and back...comin' (cummin') or goin', she was always a treasure.