Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Greta wrote: Still, to be fair, having a relatively dulled experience of reality can have its advantages. If you, Henry and I were lost in a forest with dangerous animals and humans around, he'd probably be a better person to have there than me, at least, more able to handle the rough stuff and almost certainly more brave.
But not because of his mind, he is probably the strongest in that group. And hearing what he says about "sensitive people" I would run from him if I were the weak, he seems to eat weak people. Then, out of fights, the rest is just thinking in how to get out, so the best one is the best thinker (Not going to make a bet XD).
Society needs all types. Very broadly* it needs the insensitive (soldiers, police, prison warders) to survive and the sensitive (healers, artists, teachers) to make society something that's actually worth preserving.
I'm answering to say: NO. First of all, society doesn't exist.
But...soldiers, policemen and prison warders are not necesarily (or generaly) insensitive, in fact that ar some of the jobs where there are more suicides, and soldiers are not needed. And, in any way, they don0t need to be "insensitive" to accomplish their jobs in a better way, they can feel pain, sorrow, happyness, and do the same, when they go to a fight, the warm blood and the adrenalyne are a good company. The same for healers, artists and teachers, they can be very good being emotional stones, all the things you said need an extense and "cold" training and learning, like math, and they can be the best doctor, the best painter, and the best teacher, without a cry, a laugh or even a smile.

Feelings are not thoughts, not actions, alone they don't have any meaning, if people can take control over their own actions, everything is ok. If they can't, no matter if they have big or small feelings, they will act in a wrong way, they will cause harm to them and others.

I still don't see sense in sensitive or insensitive, poor simplifications not well defined, crapy labels.
Greta

Re: Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Post by Greta »

Harbal wrote:
Greta wrote:If you, Henry and I were lost in a forest with dangerous animals
Lost in a forest with henry? For God's sake, Greta, are you trying to make me have nightmares?
Maybe :)

marjoram_blues

Re: Re:

Post by marjoram_blues »

TSBU wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
TSBU wrote: I may have done the same with a gun, with the difference that I would probably ended happy for a while after doing it XD. Don't pay attention to the caveman.
Why the hell would you be happy after killing someone just because you had a fleeting and uncontrollable hissy fit at them for being obnoxious, or hateful ? Self control is the order of the day.
And the best strategy to achieve that - and survive your own dystructive thoughts...?
Do you really want me to answer? Because I forced myself to see evil and nasty things in this place long ago, I know where it is, and I'm always controling myself, because of a simple reason: It is just bigger than me, I can't delete evil in the Universe, fighting would destroy me.
In real life, all I "should" do is get away and put barriers between evil people and me... and I don't really care a lot about that. The only difference would be to see it "from a short distance", enough to touch my feelings till the point where my barriers are broken. But deep inside I've always desired to destroy some people, I'm afraid I'm that common kind of person. And feeling free would made me happy for a while no matter the consequences.
So you use reason to control your desire to fight what you consider to be the evil you see in the Universe. Because it would overwhelm you.
Why not use the power of reason to analyse why you forced yourself to zoom in on the perceived universal 'nasties', rather than any 'goodies' ? You know that life is a bit of both, and more. So, what if your perception is faulty - at any given time. Control and lives are lost - in real life; the consequences devastating. And all because of some heightened sensitivity ( high emotion, poor thinking) - about what constitutes evil; and an insensitivity ( lack of concern) to the value of a person or consequences to self.

How could this destruction ( some might term 'evil' ) be related in any way to feeling free or happy ?
Putting up barriers is one way ( is it the best? ) to avoid dealing with whatever you feel threatened by. But any mental measures can easily be upset; bubbles burst. What then? Guns. Destruction. Really ??
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

marjoram_blues wrote: So you use reason to control your desire to fight what you consider to be the evil you see in the Universe. Because it would overwhelm you.
Why not use the power of reason to analyse why you forced yourself to zoom in on the perceived universal 'nasties', rather than any 'goodies' ? You know that life is a bit of both, and more. So, what if your perception is faulty - at any given time. Control and lives are lost - in real life; the consequences devastating. And all because of some heightened sensitivity ( high emotion, poor thinking) - about what constitutes evil; and an insensitivity ( lack of concern) to the value of a person or consequences to self.

How could this destruction ( some might term 'evil' ) be related in any way to feeling free or happy ?
Putting up barriers is one way ( is it the best? ) to avoid dealing with whatever you feel threatened by. But any mental measures can easily be upset; bubbles burst. What then? Guns. Destruction. Really ??
I don't center in them, I just try to don't avoid thinking in them (like nearly everybody do and we are taught to do). All your "what if" is not anything more than a "what if" with no proofs. What if you are an elephant and you don't know it? I think in the consequences a lot. That doesn't change the fact that feelings are feelings, and feeling free always tastes good (if it tastes good when I punch or shout, it certanly would feel better if I destroy).
Barriers are metaphorical, they can mean many things, but yes, get far from bad people is good if you can't do anything more.

marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

TSBU wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote: So you use reason to control your desire to fight what you consider to be the evil you see in the Universe. Because it would overwhelm you.

I don't center in them, I just try to don't avoid thinking in them (like nearly everybody do and we are taught to do). All your "what if" is not anything more than a "what if" with no proofs. What if you are an elephant and you don't know it? I think in the consequences a lot. That doesn't change the fact that feelings are feelings, and feeling free always tastes good (if it tastes good when I punch or shout, it certanly would feel better if I destroy).
Barriers are metaphorical, they can mean many things, but yes, get far from bad people is good if you can't do anything more.

You will know that the ' What if...' way of thinking is not about proofs. It is about careful consideration.
So why show apparent stupidity. In all your twisting and turning, you play games.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Yeah, but you said it without a reason to analyze, as I said, what if you are an elephant? it's the same, what if my considerations are wrong? Well, at loeast give me something to suspect that they are wrong, not just the "what if". And yeah, I know I'm stupid in many eyes, and you are weak in others, just enjoy this world, you created it :)

Play is important XD.
marjoram_blues

Re:

Post by marjoram_blues »

TSBU wrote:Yeah, but you said it without a reason to analyze, as I said, what if you are an elephant? it's the same, what if my considerations are wrong? Well, at loeast give me something to proof that they are wrong, not just the "what if". And yeah, I know I'm stupid in many eyes, and you are weak in others, just enjoy this world, you created it :)

Play is important XD.
Perception and deception. Interesting ideas to play with.
In real life, one's mental health might depend on serious knowledge of the games people play.
In real life, it is useful to process any faulty perception/thinking which deceives. This can be done on an individual basis by showing - assessing the evidence. However you can take an elephant to a watering hole but you can't make it drink...if it is paranoid...
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

marjoram_blues wrote:
TSBU wrote:Yeah, but you said it without a reason to analyze, as I said, what if you are an elephant? it's the same, what if my considerations are wrong? Well, at loeast give me something to proof that they are wrong, not just the "what if". And yeah, I know I'm stupid in many eyes, and you are weak in others, just enjoy this world, you created it :)

Play is important XD.
Perception and deception. Interesting ideas to play with.
In real life, one's mental health might depend on serious knowledge of the games people play.
In real life, it is useful to process any faulty perception/thinking which deceives. This can be done on an individual basis by showing - assessing the evidence. However you can take an elephant to a watering hole but you can't make it drink...if it is paranoid...
It's a game, I'm glad, I'm in it, cause there's one born every minute.
But paranoids are not difficult to control, fear is a good tool:
They had weapons. There is a new illness, buy my medicine. But they will get our employs! Oh, that race, they are allways conspirating, that's what jews do. Nobody will look at you unless you buy our products. Have you ever thought in buying a new life secure? In two hours, the water in the oceans will raise 2 km unless you vote me, the comunists will win and get all your things unless you vote me, we gotta throw the nukes over civil population, it will stop the war...

There is no need to talk about kenedy, lies are everywhere and they are easy to see (if you have a brain), now, if you tell me that people who sell homeopathetic shit to people when they have cancer aren't evil, we just disagree, deeply. But that's not a matter of understanding "the game", hell, I understand very well how people play with human life. And yeah, yeah, mothers love their children, flowers smell nice, friendship is magic. But both things exist at the same time, and both touch my feelings, you get it? No you don't. So, when the drug dealer has sold drug to a child I know, that's the moment when I'll be happy crushing heads and splashing blood. Call it stupid, I don't care, and I would care even less if that's possible, after doing it. Yeah, many people would get me to jail, but my smile would be there for a while, I'm just that simple.
duszek

Post by duszek »

You can be hypersensitve and have a normal ego.

Hypersensitive people can become victims of bullying because they suffer more from blows.
Being very empathetic they don´t distribute blows themselves (this would hurt them more than the target, again owing to a high empathy level).
So they get stuck in a vicious circle.

What would you advise such people, Skip ?
You sound like a professional, I don´t ask for free expert advise, such general statements, if you wish to contribute at all.

A cooperation between a tough person and a hypersensitive person is possible: for example things occur to a hypersensitive one that a tough person could use.
A tough person can relax in the company of a hypersensitve one because no attacks are probable.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

duszek wrote:You can be hypersensitve and have a normal ego.

Hypersensitive people can become victims of bullying because they suffer more from blows.
Being very empathetic they don´t distribute blows themselves (this would hurt them more than the target, again owing to a high empathy level).
So they get stuck in a vicious circle.

What would you advise such people, Skip ?
You sound like a professional, I don´t ask for free expert advise, such general statements, if you wish to contribute at all.

A cooperation between a tough person and a hypersensitive person is possible: for example things occur to a hypersensitive one that a tough person could use.
A tough person can relax in the company of a hypersensitve one because no attacks are probable.
I am not sure... but I think that Skip might be taking a break from posting. See the 'Goodbye' thread.
However, if you wish to talk with him - I am pretty confident that he pops in for a quick look-see and would reply to a PM.

I really would love to see him back - a real treasure.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Freaky technique

Obviously, people need to do all kinds of odd things

Sensitive skin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpV9jGSRacg
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Still, to be fair, having a relatively dulled experience of reality can have its advantages."

I know, compared to all the sensitive souls who post here, I'm thick as a brick, but really: this simply means my sensitivities (psychological [ego] and sensory) fall within the normal ranges while most of you are delicate and soft.

Sad world it is when the pussies redefine the baseline to make their cripped selves 'normal'.

#

If you, Henry and I were lost in a forest with dangerous animals and humans around, he'd probably be a better person to have there than me, at least, more able to handle the rough stuff and almost certainly more brave."

In almost any circumstance, I'd be an asset, but only if I value you. My nephew is safe with me even in the midst of the Big Bad. The lot of you? Best take a crash course in self-care... :|
TSBU

Re:

Post by TSBU »

henry quirk wrote:"Still, to be fair, having a relatively dulled experience of reality can have its advantages."

I know, compared to all the sensitive souls who post here, I'm thick as a brick, but really: this simply means my sensitivities (psychological [ego] and sensory) fall within the normal ranges while most of you are delicate and soft.

Sad world it is when the pussies redefine the baseline to make their cripped selves 'normal'.

#

If you, Henry and I were lost in a forest with dangerous animals and humans around, he'd probably be a better person to have there than me, at least, more able to handle the rough stuff and almost certainly more brave."

In almost any circumstance, I'd be an asset, but only if I value you. My nephew is safe with me even in the midst of the Big Bad. The lot of you? Best take a crash course in self-care... :|
I knew it ^^

I'm remembering a film with Anthony Hopkins... but I don't know the English title.
duszek

Post by duszek »

If a hypersensitive person lived centuries ago he or she would die an early age for sure.

In certain countries nowadays (Europe mainly but also US perhaps) hypersensitive people can survive due to social security and human rights.

They are less interested in risky activities and travelling, both being too much stress for them.

What would a course in self-care be about ?
This is a good place to offer some ideas for experimentation.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The Edge, with Hopkins as the capable and Alec Baldwin as the pussy. It was a bad movie.

#

Self-care courses...

For the sensory sensitive: aside from possible medical remedies to blunt overload, I have no idea how such folks can train themselves.

For the psychologically sensitive: aside from just growing the fuck up, I have no idea how such folks can train themselves.

So, I amend myself: 'Best take a crash course in self-care' should read 'have a peaceful death'.