How must I respond?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: How must I respond?

Post by Dalek Prime »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: By the way, I would suggest that, not only are 100% of people a waste of neurons, but that the neurons themselves are a damned waste of otherwise perfectly good matter.
Well I was going to say 99 per cent but thought I would be generous. I wouldn't say 100 though. There are some good people.
There are also a lot of good rocks.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

hajrafradi wrote:I have had five conversations here. Three ended up in disaster. The first one was with FlashdangerPants. S/he concluded s/he will never talk to me again. The second one was with Dubious. S/he critiqued one of my posts, I responded to his/her criticism, and s/he wrote once more in that thread, only that s/he will never talk to me again.
I wasn't planning on never conversing with you again. I just found that thread bad.

Bear in mind I only stepped in to defend the one and only valid point I have seen tbeiter make - and I didn't think he was up to the task of defending it himself. While there I gently poked a little fun at your self described literary talent. Nothing to really take too seriously.

If you look back at that conversation, there are a couple of places where you write 2 or 3 posts in a row, separated by what appears to be a period of time in which you stewed. The pattern that was emerging seemed to be rage > kissy makeup > more rage. Conversing with me seems to be bad for your blood pressure. I really didn't much mind being referred to as weasely, nor even the assertion that I am obsessed with overpowering you in some way. After all, Bob calls me a Limey Motherfucker on a daily basis and I work hard to keep him doing so.

You were just unhealthily committed some stuff that I was really quite insouciant about, so I let it go.

(He btw)
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

hajrafradi wrote:I have had five conversations here. Three ended up in disaster. The first one was with FlashdangerPants. S/he concluded s/he will never talk to me again. The second one was with Dubious. S/he critiqued one of my posts, I responded to his/her criticism, and s/he wrote once more in that thread, only that s/he will never talk to me again.

What is it with me that people don't ever want to talk to me? Am I a leper, or what? I really don't see how I stepped out of line in terms of terms of the use of this site.

I appreciate this was their personal choice, and they did give me reasons, but those reasons, in my book, are false. They just wanted an out, and said something that did not hold any water why they never want to speak to me again.

But I don't fault them; it is me, in me, where the fault lies. What is it that I am doing wrong?

I need a personal coach on how to word my post and responses to others.

Volunteers?
Not a personal coach. Just a few thoughts.

How must you respond? Not like this.
Here, you seem to be indulging in hyperbole - disaster indeed.
Then, if you are referencing 3 discussions it is a good idea to either include links or give tit!e and date of thread or troub!esome posts. Also the other 2, why were they any different?
With this informationn, people have the facts to consider, enabling them to judge whether an emotional appeal is justified.

Speaking for myself, I usually take or leave each thread or post as I see fit. I don't place posters in a friends or foe category.
This place is full of characters - sometimes it can get personal and sides can be taken.
This happens in real life. I don't think it helps when an appeal goes out to others about a 'they' or 'them' against a poor little me self-made mountain out of a molehill.
First, there is no 'them' not wanting to speak to you ever again.
Second, get over yourself, you hyperbolic trollop you :wink:
Finally, don't listen to advice from me or others. Know yourself !
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

" It's not me it's you."

It's always the other guy, that bastid.
Harbal

Re:

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote:" It's not me it's you."

It's always the other guy, that bastid.
But, quite often, it is you, quirk.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Sure, but not when it comes to haj...lay the blame at some other bastid's feet (or cloven hooves).
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:

What is it with me that people don't ever want to talk to me? Am I a leper, or what? I really don't see how I stepped out of line in terms of terms of the use of this site.

I appreciate this was their personal choice, and they did give me reasons, but those reasons, in my book, are false. They just wanted an out, and said something that did not hold any water why they never want to speak to me again.

But I don't fault them; it is me, in me, where the fault lies. What is it that I am doing wrong?

I need a personal coach on how to word my post and responses to others.

Volunteers?
Not a personal coach. Just a few thoughts.

How must you respond? Not like this.
Here, you seem to be indulging in hyperbole - disaster indeed.
Then, if you are referencing 3 discussions it is a good idea to either include links or give tit!e and date of thread or troub!esome posts. Also the other 2, why were they any different?
With this informationn, people have the facts to consider, enabling them to judge whether an emotional appeal is justified.

Speaking for myself, I usually take or leave each thread or post as I see fit. I don't place posters in a friends or foe category.
This place is full of characters - sometimes it can get personal and sides can be taken.
This happens in real life. I don't think it helps when an appeal goes out to others about a 'they' or 'them' against a poor little me self-made mountain out of a molehill.
First, there is no 'them' not wanting to speak to you ever again.
Second, get over yourself, you hyperbolic trollop you :wink:
Finally, don't listen to advice from me or others. Know yourself !
She's kidding. You can trust my advice.

No, really.

:| :?:
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

marjoram_blues wrote:Know yourself !
...not so easy when others keep telling who you really are.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dubious wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:Know yourself !
...not so easy when others keep telling who you really are.
Ain't that the truth.
And isn't that where philosophy comes in, to help with fallacious thinking.
Now I'm thinking that the originator of this thread is well aware of this.
But I could be wrong.

Anyway, it's been a useful exercise in attempting a response, and listening to others' perspectives.

[ Wiki has a List of fallacies. Good to know and spot when you are being phalleried aka fuckin' with yer mind.]
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Speaking of wiki's, RationalWiki is full of irrational shit. Anything they don't believe, they shoot down as conspiracy talk. They even called the Bank of England conspiracy nuts.