Why is there so much hostility on this site?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jaded Sage

Why is there so much hostility on this site?

Post by Jaded Sage »

There seems to be a surplus of anger and overwhelming hostility. Is everyone here pissed off or do I just rub people the wrong way?
Dalek Prime

Re: Why is there so much hostility on this site?

Post by Dalek Prime »

Don't take it personally. That's the forum. If you feel strongly about your beliefs, and feel your premises and reasoning from them are valid, don't let anyone put you off. Hardly anyone agrees with me. But I haven't seen anything to change my core premises, and will repeat that which people disagree with.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Jaded Sage wrote:There seems to be a surplus of anger and overwhelming hostility. Is everyone here pissed off...
There are some people who are clearly not here to exchange ideas or explore options, they just want to knock down anyone else who tries to do so. As if that somehow makes them look superior -- as if all conversations are beneath them. I'm guessing the truth is that they're either incapable of contributing in a beneficial way, or they're lazy. Either way, it looks weak-spirited. And there have been people like this all throughout mankind's history. They keep us from evolving too fast. :D I'm rooting for a quantum leap!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lacewing wrote:
Jaded Sage wrote:There seems to be a surplus of anger and overwhelming hostility. Is everyone here pissed off...
There are some people who are clearly not here to exchange ideas or explore options, they just want to knock down anyone else who tries to do so. As if that somehow makes them look superior -- as if all conversations are beneath them. I'm guessing the truth is that they're either incapable of contributing in a beneficial way, or they're lazy. Either way, it looks weak-spirited. And there have been people like this all throughout mankind's history. They keep us from evolving too fast. :D I'm rooting for a quantum leap!
A quatum leap to where and what? You have more faith in humanity than I.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dalek Prime wrote: A quatum leap to where and what? You have more faith in humanity than I.
Hopefully "forward" in a constructive way from where we are. I have no idea what that would look like. But I can imagine how it might FEEL. 8)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lacewing wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: A quatum leap to where and what? You have more faith in humanity than I.
Hopefully "forward" in a constructive way from where we are. I have no idea what that would look like. But I can imagine how it might FEEL. 8)
Hope often disappoints. Humankind disappoints even more.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Jaded Sage wrote:There seems to be a surplus of anger and overwhelming hostility.
Rudeness

I often wonder what’s in it for them:
the rude ones who like to hurt
and offend others
who never did them any harm?

Sometimes I think they must be downtrodden
in their own lives and try to compensate,
hoping to feel bigger by putting us down
as if malice would elevate
their stature in the world
instead of turning them into a clown.

And then there is the hunt of the pack,
when some of them get together
and strive to outdo each other,
see who could be more vicious and vile,
and they don’t notice that while
they are being mean, rude and so very important,
they are unaware, stupid, and shockingly ignorant.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

A poem? Nicely done, sir.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

There is hostility everywhere passive-agressive hostility mostly, I don't know, maybe there is more hostility in Spanish forums... because I can't find a forum with no sarcasm, but...

Suppose you have a car, and you go to the forum where people talk about their cars.

Well, You have clear doubts, related with your time in the field of cars, in philosophy, you have your whole mind, dealing with "life" problems, thoughts that you formed after years of thinking, not something that started yesterday and is for tomorrow. If you consider a person wrong with his car, well, even if you love cars, it's just one car, his car, he can do what he wants. If you consider somoene wrong in ethics, whoa, that's very different.

You like cars, but not everybody like cars, most of people won't look if you are wrong or right in that. Well, nearly everybody like what they call "philosophy", nearly everybody look how do you think in philosophy when they choose howto treat you. Going further, in what people call philosophy, you can say all what is inside your head, even the most absurd thing, and it will be just "other philosophy", it is "just an opinion": If somoene talking about cars is just saying people that they should put sugar in their fuel, he would be probably banned in two seconds.

No matter if you consider yourself smart or stupid, people who say that they like philosophy, usually think that they spend more time and effort than "common people" in "how to think" or "how to deal with reality", or they understand many mistakes in everyone, in... general aplication thoughts. And so, they usually feel that other people isn't thinking before acting, not as much as they should. Or they feel frustrated because they never feel understood.

Also, philosophy means usually "out of reality" for many people, so there are many people who go to philosophy forums to... mystic things, the best kind of forums when you are high or drunk. Many people reminds me to that XD. Also, philosophers are nearly by definition, people who don't like bubbles.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

What hostility? Fuck you! (Kidding. :lol: )
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Jaded Sage wrote:There seems to be a surplus of anger and overwhelming hostility. Is everyone here pissed off or do I just rub people the wrong way?
You came here for an argument? Sorry, this is abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDjCqjzbvJY
Walker

Post by Walker »

Melchior wrote:
Jaded Sage wrote:There seems to be a surplus of anger and overwhelming hostility. Is everyone here pissed off or do I just rub people the wrong way?

Good sketch, though the agreeable* woman at an argument clinic is a bit too counter-intuitive.

Aside from occupation, age gives more to say but less attachment to the saying need.

* 3 consecutive vowels?
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Melchior wrote:

People are not wearing enough hats.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Melchior wrote:

In some ways that Monty Python skit sort of brings to mind Sartre's "No Exit".