Is Emptiness Actually Depression?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Is Emptiness Actually Depression?

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

I go for awesome every moment I am able to.
Then you're doomed for disappointment.
As far as whinging? Perhaps. On the other hand this is a forum, and I attempt to post controversial, reflective, and universal topics.
A philosophy forum not psychoanalysis. The kind of 'depression' you cite appears to be the purview of the idle west.
Perhaps other members have felt the way I have about this state of being...
Then they like you should seek professional help.
Literal thought could be considered whinging. If that is the framework, we may all be guilty.[/size].
You should think more about the 'I' than this 'we'.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I don't know...

You on the one hand think I have a problem or situation that I can't handle. You think I should seek professional help.

Yet, if part of what I am experiencing is caused by a type of idleness then there is a whole generation of retirees throughout the world that may be experiencing what I am going through.

I'm not so sure that what I am going through is not without merit
and I may be able to glean some positive results, although admittedly, I'm not so sure what they would be right now.

You can't really understand my position unless you are in it.

I still love life.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:...
I still love life.[/size].
Then you are not suffering from depression just an empty 'philosophy'.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:
Bill Wiltrack wrote:...
I still love life.[/size].
Then you are not suffering from depression just an empty 'philosophy'.
And you have the balls to talk about my high horse....
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:And you have the balls to talk about my high horse....
You're the one who told me I had a shallow take upon the meaning of life. Here I'm continuing a very long 'discussion' with Bill about the 'philosophy' he has posted upon this forum and that if he still ives life then he is not depressed and his emptiness arises from his 'philosophy' - can't quite bring myself to not scare-quote it because he will never discuss any contradictions in his thoughts or 'philosophy' so I don't take him to be a philosopher but just another gnu.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:And you have the balls to talk about my high horse....
You're the one who told me I had a shallow take upon the meaning of life. Here I'm continuing a very long 'discussion' with Bill about the 'philosophy' he has posted upon this forum and that if he still ives life then he is not depressed and his emptiness arises from his 'philosophy' - can't quite bring myself to not scare-quote it because he will never discuss any contradictions in his thoughts or 'philosophy' so I don't take him to be a philosopher but just another gnu.
That was after you began this 'discussion' with him, so don't blame me for correcting your 'life shallowness' in time to berate him for his oh so human flaws. But, don't let me ruin your party. Have fun.

Btw, what do you mean by a gnu, Arising? I tried to google it, but didn't find an answer.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:That was after you began this 'discussion' with him, so don't blame me for correcting your 'life shallowness' in time to berate him for his oh so human flaws. ...
You've corrected nothing and all I 'berate' Bill about is his philosophical flaws, i.e. he says he feels empty and wonders if it is depression but says he loves life so unlikely it is, given the philosophy he has promoted on this forum over the years I think his emptiness comes from said philosophy.
But, don't let me ruin your party. Have fun.
As if you could but thanks I will.
Btw, what do you mean by a gnu, Arising? I tried to google it, but didn't find an answer.
Just a term I like. Try goggling philosophy now and gnu.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:That was after you began this 'discussion' with him, so don't blame me for correcting your 'life shallowness' in time to berate him for his oh so human flaws. ...
You've corrected nothing and all I 'berate' Bill about is his philosophical flaws, i.e. he says he feels empty and wonders if it is depression but says he loves life so unlikely it is, given the philosophy he has promoted on this forum over the years I think his emptiness comes from said philosophy.
But, don't let me ruin your party. Have fun.
As if you could but thanks I will.
Just a term I like. Try goggling philosophy now and gnu.
Crazy people make up their own meaning to words, Arising.

"Disordered thinking and speech -- moving from one topic to another, in a nonsensical fashion. Individuals may make up their own words or sounds"

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/cond ... izophrenia
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I think I just had a breakthrough...thanks to the back-and-forth between the two of you.

I was always so detached.
So objective towards myself.

Then, I think I feel in-love. Many years ago. To my now present wife.

The pain that I am feeling now is caused by love. A deep & real love and attachment for another human being.

It was right under my nose.

Except you - both of you, had to point it out to me because it was too close.

THIS is what this forum is for - and I THANK YOU for participating.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Crazy people make up their own meaning to words, Arising.
How do you think words start?
"Disordered thinking and speech -- moving from one topic to another, in a nonsensical fashion. Individuals may make up their own words or sounds"

:lol: I don't move in a nonsensical fashion nor have disordered thinking or speech so phew!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I think I just had a breakthrough...thanks to the back-and-forth between the two of you.

I was always so detached.
So objective towards myself.

Then, I think I feel in-love. Many years ago. To my now present wife.

The pain that I am feeling now is caused by love. A deep & real love and attachment for another human being.

It was right under my nose.

Except you - both of you, had to point it out to me because it was too close.

THIS is what this forum is for - and I THANK YOU for participating.

That actually makes sense, Bill. Love can do that to people. It can be painful and joyous. Glad I could help, even in an indirect way.

Unfortunately, I think it's too late for Arising and I. I'm breaking up with him. :lol: :wink:
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dalek Prime wrote:Crazy people make up their own meaning to words, Arising.
How do you think words start?
Why, from crazy people, of course! :lol:

:lol: I don't move in a nonsensical fashion nor have disordered thinking or speech so phew!
Crazy people also think that they are being specifically referred to in generalizations :wink:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Why, from crazy people, of course! :lol:
Absolutely, now all that has to happen is for other crazies to take it up and it'll make the dictionary.
Crazy people also think that they are being specifically referred to in generalizations :wink:
They well might but when the generalisation has been applied to a quote by them I think them correct in their inference.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

.Image

Watch waaaay too much TV.

Most shows, whether with paid actors or not, seem so contrived to me now. Too contrived, yet professional.

Witnessing most social interactions look so fake & forced.

I feel like I'm becoming more connected with reality and ultimately, it's really pointless.

The small things, things I used to get lost-in, have become transparent.

This scares me. Really scares me.

I've touched a deep, deep gulf of depression or emptiness, I don't know, the kind of which I have never even glimpsed of before in my 60 years on this planet.

I finished THE NOONDAY DEVIL this morning. It is a profound study of a permanent spiritual aspect of the human condition.
http://www.amazon.com/Noonday-Devil-Ace ... +our+times
It is distinguishable from clinical depression.
I extend my gratitude to Bill for posting this significant thread
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

tbieter wrote:

.Image

Watch waaaay too much TV.

Most shows, whether with paid actors or not, seem so contrived to me now. Too contrived, yet professional.

Witnessing most social interactions look so fake & forced.

I feel like I'm becoming more connected with reality and ultimately, it's really pointless.

The small things, things I used to get lost-in, have become transparent.

This scares me. Really scares me.

I've touched a deep, deep gulf of depression or emptiness, I don't know, the kind of which I have never even glimpsed of before in my 60 years on this planet.

I finished THE NOONDAY DEVIL this morning. It is a profound study of a permanent spiritual aspect of the human condition.
It is distinguishable from clinical depression.
I extend my gratitude to Bill for posting this significant thread
Some text in the profound study, THE NOONDAY DEVIL - Acedia, The Unnamed Evil of Our Time by Jean-Charles Nault, O.S.B., disagrees with the contention that it is work that gives meaning to one’s life:

“Next, we must recognize the situation of single persons, without minimizing the difficulties and sufferings, but also without overlooking the joys and opportunities. For although emotional solitude or even sexual frustration may be sensed painfully by single persons, especially if their professional life offers them little recognition or gratification, it is nevertheless true that neither a spouse nor a child nor a job IS WHAT GIVES PROFOUND MEANING TO LIFE.p. 192 (EMPHASIS ADDED)