Is Emptiness Actually Depression?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

Is Emptiness Actually Depression?

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.Image

Watch waaaay too much TV.

Most shows, whether with paid actors or not, seem so contrived to me now. Too contrived, yet professional.

Witnessing most social interactions look so fake & forced.

I feel like I'm becoming more connected with reality and ultimately, it's really pointless.

The small things, things I used to get lost-in, have become transparent.

This scares me. Really scares me.

I've touched a deep, deep gulf of depression or emptiness, I don't know, the kind of which I have never even glimpsed of before in my 60 years on this planet.

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Is Emptiness Actually Depression?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

.Image

Watch waaaay too much TV.

Most shows, whether with paid actors or not, seem so contrived to me now. Too contrived, yet professional.

Witnessing most social interactions look so fake & forced.

I feel like I'm becoming more connected with reality and ultimately, it's really pointless.

The small things, things I used to get lost-in, have become transparent.

This scares me. Really scares me.

I've touched a deep, deep gulf of depression or emptiness, I don't know, the kind of which I have never even glimpsed of before in my 60 years on this planet.

You watch too much bullshit American TV. It's excrement, with a few exceptions. I take that back, there are no exceptions. It's all about insults, put-downs, and cop-out endings.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I don't doubt that. But is it the content of the entertainment or the actual function of just observing that is of itself a characteristic or offshoot of emptiness?

Aero

Post by Aero »

I think you have stumbled upon something here. By "emptiness" do you mean not knowing your purpose in life? Such as uncertainty?

For example:

I got a friend that sometimes doesn't know what he wants to eat. It sounds silly, but true. It's not that he doesn't want to eat or can't afford it, but the exact opposite. So as he's trying to figure out what he wants to eat, he gets hungrier and hungrier. Literally speaking, he is "empty" in the stomach and the hunger depresses him not knowing what to consume. The depression isn't so much from physical hunger, but rather from mental uncertainty.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I think I actually see the purpose in life as a human being; selfishness, brutality, and stupidity.

I'm not sure I can improve much about my original post...except, the overwhelming emptiness inside of me.

I'm unable to hide within the tiny pleasures that, not too long ago, would consume me.

How do you interpret, in your life, what I have said within this thread?

vegetariantaxidermy

I think once you have lost your sense of purpose your life is basically over.
Aero

Post by Aero »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: I think I actually see the purpose in life as a human being; selfishness, brutality, and stupidity.
Selfishness, brutality, and stupidity are merely traits. They serve a purpose, but I don't completely agree that they are purpose itself.
Bill Wiltrack wrote: How do you interpret, in your life, what I have said within this thread?
That's a very good question that I think everyone ponders. There are times where I do feel an emptiness, because I'm still uncertain about what my purpose in life is. Originally I planned on going to law school, but those plans have since become undone. I mean, I'm not a "woe is me" case. I have a roof over my head, money in my pocket, and my health. I appreciate these things, but I sometimes feel like there's more.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

First & foremost thank you for at least responding to an honest philosophical question.

We eat, breathe, take-in impressions, and for the most part our lives are completely out of our control.

The fact that your reality is different from the dreams that you perceived your life to be earlier is something that is COMPLETELY NORMAL.

I wish you well.

Embrace your reality.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Sounds like your 'philosophy' is finally bearing the fruit it seeds.

I'm sorry to hear it, seek professional help. Barring that get a puppy as it sounds like you need the reponsiblity of something to care for.

Get two and see if you have leadership skills to boot.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Although what I have been experiencing has pushed me to my very limits, that heaviness of my soul...this, Dark Night of the Soul

is something that I, at least so far, have been able to bear.

I think, if this isn't a preclusion my immediate demise, I will survive. And possibly be larger for it.

This emptiness, this sadness has expanded me to emotions I have not been able to experience before.

perhaps, one day, there will be a positive side.

I heard dogs are a good companion...I think I will wait for an Argentine orangutan.

vegetariantaxidermy

You could always go to a 'therapist' (more American bullshit) and indulge in some very expensive navel-gazing.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Although what I have been experiencing has pushed me to my very limits, that heaviness of my soul...this, Dark Night of the Soul

is something that I, at least so far, have been able to bear.
Oh! Please! Get over yourself.
I think, if this isn't a preclusion my immediate demise, I will survive. And possibly be larger for it.
You don't die from being empty or depressed.

This emptiness, this sadness has expanded me to emotions I have not been able to experience before.
Then not empty?
perhaps, one day, there will be a positive side.
Or perhaps its just another short-term fad of yours.
I heard dogs are a good companion...I think I will wait for an Argentine orangutan.[/size]
Given you apparently chose not to have kids I doubt you should take such a responsibility.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

What is the meaning of life?

Still struggling with the emptiness; this vastness of this thing I will title, for now, as my soul.

Looking for the meaning of this life of ours.

I know meaning, REAL meaning can be based upon words but overall meaning, REAL philosophy, goes far beyond words.

I looked for meaning, REAL meaning, in experience. Over the last few months even that inner search that I have committed my life to, even that has fallen short.

I'm still empty. Lost.

Are we dead?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

What is the meaning of life?

And I think I know why. :)
Still struggling with the emptiness; this vastness of this thing I will title, for now, as my soul.
That your 'soul' is empty means you've misunderstood what it means.
Looking for the meaning of this life of ours.
You should be looking for the meaning of this life of yours. Let me help, it's what you decide it is.
I know meaning, REAL meaning can be based upon words but overall meaning, REAL philosophy, goes far beyond words.
In Philosophy Now we understand that this 'REAL' is a myth.
I looked for meaning, REAL meaning, in experience. Over the last few months even that inner search that I have committed my life to, even that has fallen short.
That's because you keep looking for this 'REAL' meaning when its just meaning.
I'm still empty. Lost.
Try answering this, "What would not being empty or lost be to you?"
Are we dead?
No and you need to stop thinking in terms of 'we'.