Exercises for the Mind & Body

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

WanderingLands

Exercises for the Mind & Body

Post by WanderingLands »

Just presenting some exercises that I have been doing in order to get myself active and to strengthen myself mentally and physically. Probably the same advice you may get from a practitioner in these arts, but nevertheless still effective and also worth mentioning.

Shaolin Kong fu basic movements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f8zb_QKZEo
Eclectic Energies: http://www.eclecticenergies.com
waterwheel1 channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/waterwheel1

The Kong Fu movements are what I'm beginning to do. The Eclectic Energies website is where you can find a collection of mudras and acupressure, as well as an online i-Ching, and electronic therapist, and some information about the Enneagram and the Ego (mainly about the Freduian concept of Ego). The waterwheel1 channel on YouTube has a ton of exercises.
Arising_uk

Re: Exercises for the Mind & Body

Post by Arising_uk »

At last! Something useful.

I applaud links 1 and 2. Nice finds, now three plus years of practice and it'll be cushty.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Arising_uk wrote:At last! Something useful.

I applaud links 1 and 2. Nice finds, now three plus years of practice and it'll be cushty.
Indeed it does take years of practice...
randallbenak

Post by randallbenak »

The mind-body connection means that you can learn to use your thoughts to positively influence some of your body’s physical responses, thereby decreasing stress. If you recall a time when you were happy, grateful or calm, your body and mind tend to relax.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

randallbenak wrote:The mind-body connection means that you can learn to use your thoughts to positively influence some of your body’s physical responses, thereby decreasing stress. If you recall a time when you were happy, grateful or calm, your body and mind tend to relax.
Yes, indeed. The mind and body can actually work in harmony with one another as is the meaning of 'being one with the Universe'.
Mic84

Post by Mic84 »

randallbenak wrote:The mind-body connection means that you can learn to use your thoughts to positively influence some of your body’s physical responses, thereby decreasing stress. If you recall a time when you were happy, grateful or calm, your body and mind tend to relax.
That's right.
henry quirk

Do these...

Post by henry quirk »

...heavy, one-arm, snatches.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

HA!
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Wow. Think I vomited in my mouth a little bit. He was much more attractive in a purple suit wearing women's makeup.
Breath

Post by Breath »

WanderingLands wrote:
Yes, indeed. The mind and body can actually work in harmony with one another as is the meaning of 'being one with the Universe'.
So, when you are dying, as happens to thousands every hour, is the Universe dying too?
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Breath wrote:
WanderingLands wrote: Yes, indeed. The mind and body can actually work in harmony with one another as is the meaning of 'being one with the Universe'.
So, when you are dying, as happens to thousands every hour, is the Universe dying too?
No, and I did not mean it that way at all. I meant a spiritual connection between particular beings with the universal; the microcosm meeting the macrocosm. It's a Hermetic way of thinking.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

WanderingLands wrote:Just presenting some exercises that I have been doing in order to get myself active and to strengthen myself mentally and physically. Probably the same advice you may get from a practitioner in these arts, but nevertheless still effective and also worth mentioning.

Shaolin Kong fu basic movements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f8zb_QKZEo
Eclectic Energies: http://www.eclecticenergies.com
waterwheel1 channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/waterwheel1

The Kong Fu movements are what I'm beginning to do. The Eclectic Energies website is where you can find a collection of mudras and acupressure, as well as an online i-Ching, and electronic therapist, and some information about the Enneagram and the Ego (mainly about the Freduian concept of Ego). The waterwheel1 channel on YouTube has a ton of exercises.

Thankyou, I started watching the Kung Fu video and now I have the itch to start practicing some of my Isshin-Ryu Katas again. Many of the stances and movements in the first 7 minutes I watched were very similar to the stances and moves in the Katas I had learned. I'll watch the rest but I'll also look up the Katas I had learned just to be sure I'm doing them correctly.

An interesting bit of information, I attended tournaments years ago and always found the Kumite interesting in that no matter what style the player claimed or what stance was taken at the beginning, when it started they all looked like Isshin-Ryu. That really helped to vindicate my choice of styles. However the longer I practiced the less I was interested in fighting or self-defence and the more I became interested in the philosophy behind the art. In fact I never advanced to the green belt level because the Sensei required participation in a tournament to do so, and I just wasn't interested in that aspect of the art.