POLITICIZATION

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek
Posts: 2143
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: POLITICIZATION

Post by duszek » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Who owns "New York Times" ?

Does this person have a strong political orientation ?

::::::::::::::::::::::

When someone dies we traditionally try to see the good points of the dead person because he cannot benefit from criticism by correcting his ways any more.

Writing a funeral speech can be a challenge if the dead was controversial.
An obituary is a funeral speech in a nutshell.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10664
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: POLITICIZATION

Post by Arising_uk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:40 pm

tbieter wrote:...
I was trying to be sarcastic.
My apologies :oops:

Still, would have laughed either way.

tbieter
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Re: POLITICIZATION

Post by tbieter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:31 pm

duszek wrote:That´s an example of the truth that words are not reliable.
I disagree. In 2005 I bought a new Kia Rio with 68 miles on the odometer. The car was manufactured and operates today in accord with scientific laws described in English words and sentences. I drive very little. The other day my odometer read 19,995 miles. In the time that I've had the car, the only problem I have had was a blown fuse. Every time I have tried to start it, it has started. It is a reliable machine that operates in accord with scientific laws that are expressed in words.

If there is a conflict you can murder one of the two conflicting parties and thus make the war stop.
So in that sense a man can be a war criminal and a mass murderer and a man of peace at the same time.

When you say something about someone it is never a whole story, only a partial and biased one.

What was the perlocution behind the words chosen by the "New York Times" ?

(perlocution = what you wish to achieve by an act of speech, in this case flattery towards the right wing in Israel ??? )

Impenitent
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: POLITICIZATION

Post by Impenitent » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 pm

to claim the future will resemble the past (the car will start) because of the past (the car has always started) is an error in reasoning...

-Imp

tbieter
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Re: POLITICIZATION

Post by tbieter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:09 am

Impenitent wrote:to claim the future will resemble the past (the car will start) because of the past (the car has always started) is an error in reasoning...

-Imp
I agree, but I have not made that claim. I have only claimed that up to today it has been a reliable machine. I acknowledge that its reliablity as an operating machine is , like all beings except God, contingent.

All the words and sentences (scientific laws) relating to my Kia used by the Kia people in the manufacturing process have resulted in a car that has been reliable, more or less, up to today.


Contingent being
Philosophy Dictionary Theological and Philosophical Dictionary

Something that does not exist in and of itself but depends for its existence upon some other being.

See also: Ward, James , Tausen, Hans , Bacon, Leonard , Uncertainty , ANALYTIC UNITY OF APPERCEPTION

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10664
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: POLITICIZATION

Post by Arising_uk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:35 am

Impenitent wrote:to claim the future will resemble the past (the car will start) because of the past (the car has always started) is an error in reasoning...
Not in inductive reasoning its not.

Impenitent
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: POLITICIZATION

Post by Impenitent » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:46 am

begging the question is begging the question

-Imp

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10664
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: POLITICIZATION

Post by Arising_uk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:57 pm

Impenitent wrote:begging the question is begging the question

-Imp
Well, strictly I guess so but if there are law-like physical laws(which there does appear to be) then its a fair assumption. So, a well maintained car has always started reliably in the past makes a fair assumption of the induction that I've well maintained my car so it will start reliably in the future.

Impenitent
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: POLITICIZATION

Post by Impenitent » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:05 am

"assumption is the mother of all f* ups" - Travis Dane

-Imp

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10664
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: POLITICIZATION

Post by Arising_uk » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:22 am

No argument there and, as you know, the arguments about induction in philosophy are legion but you'd be going nowhere in your car if you had to rebuild it every time you wanted to drive.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests