Change and Support

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hastermain

Change and Support

Post by Hastermain »

Ah, greetings, everyone. After some occurrences, and a little thinking, I decided to seek out help online. However, I do not know the best places where I can find rational and effective advice as to the matter, so I'd primarily appreciate if you suggested other (good) forums/websites where I can find someone(s) who would be able to help.

I've known a young woman through the internet for some months now, and some sort of exponential change has befallen her. When I met her, it was clear that, albeit she was reluctant in sharing the totality of her views, especially when they were socially contradictory, she was interested in philosophy, in sciences in general, in discussing everything. She also portrayed a friendly and sympathetic conduct towards others in general. However, in the last two months a gradual yet sudden change happened (with some ups and downs, of course). She does not act at all like she did. She doesn't want, she doesn't 'like' talking about meaningful things anymore, she doesn't care about things - she's pretty much a living corpse, not in the sense of depressed or in apathy, but she went from a young 'philosopher' to one of those people who just procrastinates and does nothing important, and doesn't care about her responsibilities. To characterize it, here's a literal transcript of what I got her to expose (to me) yesterday (English isn't her first language, so it won't make any sense - but I can add an interpretation of it, if you want, since I know her relatively well - albeit that might not be so significant).

yeah I liked to think about value things, I liked to discuss, I was rational, and probably smarter than what I am now. But things change, people change, and apparently I've changed. I used to be good in school, for example, I used to be one of the best, I even got a diploma which said I was the best of my class, but what now? What am I? I don't five a fuck about anything, I barely care about if my tasks are right or not, I copy people's homework, and I'm just like most people who are unconcerned.

What I mean is, I've changed completely, all I was good, I became bad, but that's how things are, right?!

Anyway, the way I've changed for the worse can change for the better, (I) just don't think it's even a little likely.

I'm sorry dude, but the girl you met a few months ago has died.

I'm sure there is a way to help her remember who she was - I doubt "the girl I met a few months ago" has died, she merely must have been affected by something that happened. I don't know why she changed, but I know that something can and must be done about it.

Ideas? Suggestions? Also, please do recommend other places where I can find different points of view.

Thank you for your time.
Skip

Re: Change and Support

Post by Skip »

You've never met her in person? You don't know anything about her except what she's posted on a forum?
That doesn't give you much to go on, as many internet personae are invented. Much depends, too, on the age of the person.
That quote sounds to me in the 16-19 range. It's a volatile time of life: eventful, moody and full of changes.

It's quite possible that her original persona was genuine and that something happened in her life that prompted the adoption of this new attitude. Possible explanations might be: chemical - a dalliance with substance abuse or prescribed medication; physical or emotional trauma; being the victim of abuse; an unwanted change in living or school environment; some great failure, disappointment or disillusionment. Some of those things fade with time, some need intervention. Another possibility is that these are sides of the same personality in different phases of bipolar disorder. Or she's in a blue funk and dramatizing herself. There simply isn't information here to make a guess.

You could try researching the effects of some of these conditions, but there is far too much territory to cover, unless you can narrow down the probable cause.
marjoramblues

Re: Change and Support

Post by marjoramblues »

Hastermain, you have received an excellent reply from Skip.

Did this young woman give you permission to reveal an extract of her words/feelings which you 'got her to expose to you', and you alone?