Tyrannicide and the Supreme leader

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Tyrannicide and the Supreme leader

Post by tbieter »

Would it be licit to assassinate Kim Jong-un, the President and Supreme leader, of North Korea?

That the Supreme leader is a tyrant in a rogue state is factually self-evident. Economic sanctions have had no deterrent effect on his goal of getting a nuclear weapon that can strike the territory of the United States. And he has threatened such a strike.

Should President Trump wait indefinitely for the leader to act, or should he cause some South Koreans to be trained to act as an assassination squad? Is a preemptive strike justified against a threatening rogue state led by a tyrant upon a utilitarian rationale?

According to John Finnis, in his discussion on tyrannicide, Thomas Aquinas held:

""Aquinas’ thesis (not denied in his late writings) that the tyrant can be killed by public authority (as the emperor Domitian was put to death by the Roman senate 94) stands and falls with his theory of capital punishment. If one sets that aside, as it seems one should, there remains considerable scope for acts of war against the leader or leaders of a regime which is not merely tyranical but violent, and who cannot otherwise be stopped from pursuing their oppression." pp. 290-91, AQUINAS Moral, Political, and Legal Theory
(Oxford University Press, 1998)

And Finnis prompts us to remember the Count von Stauffenberg group’s unsuccessful attempt to kill Hitler.

Or is the assassination of the tyrant no longer a political option today?

Lets discuss the issues involved.
Impenitent

Re: Tyrannicide and the Supreme leader

Post by Impenitent »

China will remove the problem before we have to nuke north korea

-Imp
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Pathetic paranoid yank fucks. Don't worry about Korea. Most of the world's population would like to blow y'all up too.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:41 am China will remove the problem before we have to nuke north korea

-Imp
I'm suggesting assassination instead of nuclear war. Can the nation rely on China?
What are the ramifications of this option?
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:48 am Pathetic paranoid yank fucks. Don't worry about Korea. Most of the world's population would like to blow y'all up too.
If we went back in time, I'm sure that you would be among those who opposed Churchill, while chanting "Don't worry about Hitler".
You are amazingly unserious and biased and really unfit to participate in a philosophy forum.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

tbieter wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:24 pm
Impenitent wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:41 am China will remove the problem before we have to nuke north korea

-Imp
I'm suggesting assassination instead of nuclear war. Can the nation rely on China?
What are the ramifications of this option?
if we allow our agents to act, it will be obvious that we did something and the american left will have an even larger fit...

I don't know if it will solve the iran problem however

-Imp
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:48 am Pathetic paranoid yank fucks. Don't worry about Korea. Most of the world's population would like to blow y'all up too.
don't worry, we'll take the planet with us

-Imp
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"don't worry, we'll take the planet with us"

Indeed...it's all US property now...we'll damn well do with it what we like.
vegetariantaxidermy

tbieter wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:34 pm
If we went back in time, I'm sure that you would be among those who opposed Churchill, while chanting "Don't worry about Hitler".
You are amazingly unserious and biased and really unfit to participate in a philosophy forum.
Churchill was a murderous kunt too. I would have detested both. I have the utmost contempt for people who allow themselves to be manipulated by self-serving political players.
Hardly any yanks would even know where Korea is (North or South). Y'all are so pathetically easy to manipulate, always with at least one 'mortal enemy' on the go at any given time. Asia is infested with American military bases. How many Korean ones are near your bastard of a country? Kim Hung Ho or whatever his name is has good reason to fear the US--bullying POS that it is. Btw, pretty much the whole planet hates your country, so there's more than just 'a couple' of people who would like to see its collective head on a plate (including your good kkkristian katholic one).
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:02 pm
tbieter wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:34 pm
Churchill was a murderous kunt too. I would have detested both. I have the utmost contempt for people who allow themselves to be manipulated by self-serving political players.
Hardly any yanks would even know where Korea is (North or South). Y'all are so pathetically easy to manipulate, always with at least one 'mortal enemy' on the go at any given time. Asia is infested with American military bases. How many Korean ones are near your bastard of a country? Kim Hung Ho or whatever his name is has good reason to fear the US--bullying POS that it is. Btw, pretty much the whole planet hates your country, so there's more than just 'a couple' of people who would like to see its collective head on a plate (including your good kkkristian katholic one).
You are really a hater. https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/aeebe6ea-b ... cking.html
vegetariantaxidermy

tbieter wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:58 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:02 pm
tbieter wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:34 pm If we went back in time, I'm sure that you would be among those who opposed Churchill, while chanting "Don't worry about Hitler".
You are really a hater. https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/aeebe6ea-b ... cking.html
At least I hate the right people. Hmm. Who is the kkkristian calling for the murder of a human being? Who is the kkkristian that enjoys mass murder? (Excellent rebuttal btw).
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:02 pmChurchill was a murderous kunt too. I would have detested both.
He sure was but so many historically ignorant brain dead idiots, including biographers, think he's a hero. Since Churchill and Hitler would meet each other in hell, if there was one, he can kiss Hitler's ass for eternity in giving him the opportunity to become so famous and admired. Without that little interlude, Churchill's career would have been one of complete blank failure.

As for Kim Jong-un, that's up to the Koreans first and the Chinese second due their proximity. Why is the U.S. so paranoid about N.Korea anyways. They know the ramifications of a nuclear war and that it's suicide to start one.
vegetariantaxidermy

Dubious wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:11 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:02 pmChurchill was a murderous kunt too. I would have detested both.
He sure was but so many historically ignorant brain dead idiots, including biographers, think he's a hero. Since Churchill and Hitler would meet each other in hell, if there was one, he can kiss Hitler's ass for eternity in giving him the opportunity to become so famous and admired. Without that little interlude, Churchill's career would have been one of complete blank failure.

As for Kim Jong-un, that's up to the Koreans first and the Chinese second due their proximity. Why is the U.S. so paranoid about N.Korea anyways. They know the ramifications of a nuclear war and that it's suicide to start one.
I'm sure it's only the moronic population that is paranoid. Psychopathic and cynical politicians aren't prone to it--they create it. The usual puppet-masters will be behind the hysteria i.e. arms manufacturers.
I doubt if the North Koreans will want to oust him. He actually runs the country pretty well. Expecting a dictator to also be a kind and caring individual is stretching it a bit far though. Jong un commits the unforgivable crime of being in a part of the world that the US finds 'interesting', and of not being an easily-manipulated puppet of the US.