A New Constitution

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TimTimothy

Re: A New Constitution

Post by TimTimothy »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:37 am
TimTimothy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:52 pm ...and if you believe power is all that deserves freedom, then there's no need for a constitution, a government, or law/rule of any kind.
might makes right
-Imp
Yes. That's the law of nature in most cases. Humans have the ability, in my opinion, to transcend natural tendencies. Which is why we attempt governments and constitutions.
OuterLimits

Post by OuterLimits »

I'd replace the stoplight at a busy intersection with one word: consent.
(Watch out! That first step's a doozy !)
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

TimTimothy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:52 pm ...and if you believe power is all that deserves freedom, then there's no need for a constitution, a government, or law/rule of any kind.
might makes right

-Imp
Might crucified Jesus...does that mean it was "right"?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

artisticsolution wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:12 pm
might makes right

-Imp
certainly- without the crucifixion, there is no resurrection or salvation

then again, who you gonna believe?

-Imp
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

TimTimothy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:19 pm
might makes right
-Imp
Yes. That's the law of nature in most cases. Humans have the ability, in my opinion, to transcend natural tendencies. Which is why we attempt governments and constitutions.
no, we attempt government and constitutions based on the promise of controlling the actions of the other person; as well as the promise of stealing the other's possessions and redistributing them in the name of fairness...

-Imp
artisticsolution

Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:21 am

might makes right

-Imp

-Imp
You are confusing what is "right" with what is "destined".

I don't think Jesus or God would think it was right to crucify an innocent man...even if the majority thought so...do you?
TimTimothy

Post by TimTimothy »

OuterLimits wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm I'd replace the stoplight at a busy intersection with one word: consent.
(Watch out! That first step's a doozy !)
Should I take this as a serious critique? :-)
TimTimothy

Post by TimTimothy »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:25 am
might makes right
-Imp
no, we attempt government and constitutions based on the promise of controlling the actions of the other person; as well as the promise of stealing the other's possessions and redistributing them in the name of fairness...

-Imp
So, peasants rose up against overlords to steal the overlord's goods? Or, do you have it backwards? The Overlord was stealing the productive labor of the peasants and they rose up to reclaim their goods?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I get 'consent' but there's ambiguity there, and where there's ambiguity there's a jackass to exploit it.

I like the constitution 'as is', mostly cuz it makes for inefficent and (sometimes) ineffective government (government too busy with itself to be worryin' much about 'me').

But, if I had to draft a new one, the following works (for me)...

Mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself...or else.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

artisticsolution wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:20 am

-Imp

I don't think Jesus or God would think it was right to crucify an innocent man...even if the majority thought so...do you?
if it was destined, then it must occur regardless of right or wrong

I wouldn't presume to think for god; I'm simply going from what is recorded that he did

-Imp
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

TimTimothy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 pm

-Imp
So, peasants rose up against overlords to steal the overlord's goods? Or, do you have it backwards? The Overlord was stealing the productive labor of the peasants and they rose up to reclaim their goods?
no, the new overlords convinced the peasants to give them (the new overlords) power, when the new overlords promised the peasants welfare checks

-Imp
artisticsolution

Impenitent wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:03 am

-Imp

I wouldn't presume to think for god; I'm simply going from what is recorded that he did

-Imp
If you say, 'might makes right', then there is no right and wrong, because everything could be right or wrong depending on how the majority swayed.

And as far as God goes...and whether or not he wants us to think about his words...of course he does. If he didnt he wouldnt write a book of rules regarding what he thinks is right and wrong.
artisticsolution

Impenitent wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 am
TimTimothy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 pm

-Imp
no, the new overlords convinced the peasants to give them (the new overlords) power, when the new overlords promised the peasants welfare checks

-Imp
And then the new overlords renigged on the welfare checks...lol
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

artisticsolution wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 am

-Imp
If you say, 'might makes right', then there is no right and wrong, because everything could be right or wrong depending on how the majority swayed.

And as far as God goes...and whether or not he wants us to think about his words...of course he does. If he didnt he wouldnt write a book of rules regarding what he thinks is right and wrong.
exactly, there is no right or wrong except for what the "victor" claims it to be, and no, not the majority, the mighty

he wrote the book? which original text?

-Imp
TimTimothy

Post by TimTimothy »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:21 am certainly- without the crucifixion, there is no resurrection or salvation
-Imp

-Imp
Ah...a god believer, now I understand.

Anyone who accepts the bible and god's power without question has a much different value system than I do. And therefore, it's unlikely we can have a productive conversation. It's just a gap too far. Cheers!