Do you believe in equality under the law for women, children and gays?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Do you believe in equality under the law for women, children and gays?

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 am
Greta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:19 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:42 am Dogs stink and grovel to humans. No self-respect at all.
Ah, you misunderstand. Just try to get cooperation out of a dog that you treat meanly. If you are no fun, when you call the dog will drag its feet and take forever. If you are fun and kind they will run to you (usually). Thus dogs shape human behaviour as much as any unfortunate pussy-whipped cat slave :)

They do stink without regular washes, granted.
Bow to your cat overlords, you yet to be whipped human! 8)
An old time cat whippee, Dalek. I had a beautiful mother daughter pair in my teens, the mother a ginger female, which is apparently about 1 in 2,000 gingers. Really affectionate, both with each other and me but both run over in separate incidents. That's the biggest trouble with cats - it's hard to keep them safe if there's hazards around without confining the animal most of the time. Sorry to add a bummer but it turned me off pets for years, then I got into cats again via friends and was officially "more of a cat person" for years :lol: Then in retirement there's been dogs and I find being a dog lady more active and fun than cat lady, with the latter maybe suiting me when I become more hopeless.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

No, I totally, absolutely do not think men should blankly put their own lives below someone else simply based on if they have a vaginer. In fact, I don't think I could be anymore against that sort of blanket value-placing based on nothing more than sex. I don't even think they necessarily should put their own lives below the lives of their partner or children. If you manage to escape a burning building without attempting to go back in for your spouse or kid, I think the highlight here is that anyone survived.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:30 am No, I totally, absolutely do not think men should blankly put their own lives below someone else simply based on if they have a vaginer. In fact, I don't think I could be anymore against that sort of blanket value-placing based on nothing more than sex. I don't even think they necessarily should put their own lives below the lives of their partner or children. If you manage to escape a burning building without attempting to go back in for your spouse or kid, I think the highlight here is that anyone survived.
True. But it would suck to have to survive them. Probably much more than dying before them.

.... Unless you were planning on divorcing her, and the child looks like the mailman.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 am
Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 am
Greta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:19 am

Ah, you misunderstand. Just try to get cooperation out of a dog that you treat meanly. If you are no fun, when you call the dog will drag its feet and take forever. If you are fun and kind they will run to you (usually). Thus dogs shape human behaviour as much as any unfortunate pussy-whipped cat slave :)

They do stink without regular washes, granted.
Bow to your cat overlords, you yet to be whipped human! 8)
An old time cat whippee, Dalek. I had a beautiful mother daughter pair in my teens, the mother a ginger female, which is apparently about 1 in 2,000 gingers. Really affectionate, both with each other and me but both run over in separate incidents. That's the biggest trouble with cats - it's hard to keep them safe if there's hazards around without confining the animal most of the time. Sorry to add a bummer but it turned me off pets for years, then I got into cats again via friends and was officially "more of a cat person" for years :lol: Then in retirement there's been dogs and I find being a dog lady more active and fun than cat lady, with the latter maybe suiting me when I become more hopeless.
I hear ya. I kept my boys in most of the time, and miss them dearly. Big, beautiful cuddly cats.

If I wasn't so lazy, I was considering adopting a rescue greyhound.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

uwot wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:31 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:25 pmIf you can quote where you even get that, I will be pleased to have a look at my grammar.
Here:
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:53 pmDo you believe in equality under the law for women, children and gays?

I do for gays but not for women and children.
I don't see it but ok.

Let me try to answer your "From what I can gather, you believe that heterosexual male adults have, and deserve, some privileged legal status, that the majority of the population can only access by invitation. Do you really mean that? "

Not exactly. There should only be one equality law.

I do believe that men should have the intelligence to recognize that they have a greater duty to protect women and children than women. I get that from natural law. You might note that in the wild, it is the testosterone driven males who defend the herds and other animal groups and not the females of the various species.

Let me assume you are a man. If your family was in some peril, would you step up to defend it or would you expect your wife to do so?

FMPOV, if you are a man and need the law to tell you your duty in such a case, you would not be much of a man.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:30 am No, I totally, absolutely do not think men should blankly put their own lives below someone else simply based on if they have a vaginer. In fact, I don't think I could be anymore against that sort of blanket value-placing based on nothing more than sex. I don't even think they necessarily should put their own lives below the lives of their partner or children. If you manage to escape a burning building without attempting to go back in for your spouse or kid, I think the highlight here is that anyone survived.
In terms of equality and responsibility and duty, the scenario to look at is a man, woman and child all trying to get out the door and only the husband being able to get through because of his strength instead of pushing his child and wife ahead of himself.

I agree with you that a useless suicide helps no one, but your argument does not speak to equality because the husband is already outside. My scenario speaks more to the point.

Regards
DL
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:45 pmI hear ya. I kept my boys in most of the time, and miss them dearly. Big, beautiful cuddly cats.

They say attachments to pets can be as strong as with any other family member, even stronger. That is my experience. It is odd that I cried so much less at the death of my parents and siblings than the death of pets. With the family I was sad, but philosophical. With the animals I was simply heartbroken.

A greyhound would get you fit :)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:26 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:45 pmI hear ya. I kept my boys in most of the time, and miss them dearly. Big, beautiful cuddly cats.

They say attachments to pets can be as strong as with any other family member, even stronger. That is my experience. It is odd that I cried so much less at the death of my parents and siblings than the death of pets. With the family I was sad, but philosophical. With the animals I was simply heartbroken.

Yeah, the loss of my cats hurt me more then any family loss. I would be in vastly better shape if I just quit smoking. I am quite fond of some the Greyhounds though.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 pm

Yeah, the loss of my cats hurt me more then any family loss. I would be in vastly better shape if I just quit smoking. I am quite fond of some the Greyhounds though.
Apparently it's common for people to be more wounded by their lost animal friend than their humans. I guess it's a little bit like losing a child since it's a similar relationship.

The greyhounds I've met have been beautiful, gentle dogs although a bit terrifying if they are hurtling in your direction - your body definitely senses the forces involved!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 pm

Apparently it's common for people to be more wounded by their lost animal friend than their humans. I guess it's a little bit like losing a child since it's a similar relationship.

The greyhounds I've met have been beautiful, gentle dogs although a bit terrifying if they are hurtling in your direction - your body definitely senses the forces involved!
Sad story. When my dad was alive, he rescued a Greyhound. He took it to an off-leash park, where it began playing with a German Shepherd. The two dogs ran at each other, hit, and the Greyhound broke it's neck in the impact. :(
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Sad story. When my dad was alive, he rescued a Greyhound. He took it to an off-leash park, where it began playing with a German Shepherd. The two dogs ran at each other, hit, and the Greyhound broke its neck in the impact. :(
Yikes, that would be shocking. Poor old doggies, they can be such thickheads at times.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:36 pm

Sad story. When my dad was alive, he rescued a Greyhound. He took it to an off-leash park, where it began playing with a German Shepherd. The two dogs ran at each other, hit, and the Greyhound broke its neck in the impact. :(
Yikes, that would be shocking. Poor old doggies, they can be such thickheads at times.
I love it when cats pretend to be thick. ;)

By the way, you know that dolphins are asrseholes, right?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5985580/dont-be ... e-assholes
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:40 pm
Ah yes, a time honoured technique for thickheads - try to look dignified and above whatever is confusing them :P
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 pm
Ah yes, a time honoured technique for thickheads - try to look dignified and above whatever is confusing them :P
I do it myself. :)
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:45 pm
Greta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 pm
I do it myself. :)
One might expect that from a cat person ... while dog ladies, of course, are never, ever neurotic :lol: