In defense of colonism

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

davidm

Re: In defense of colonism

Post by davidm »

Seleucus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:22 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:16 amYou... your...
ad hom/projection.

This thread is for the discussion of Bruce Gilley's article.
Nobody gives a shit about your bogus white privilege or your idiot's article.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

davidm wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:22 am
Seleucus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:20 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:42 amIt doesn't look like it's available online anyway. Unless you have a link? It seems like a rather silly thing to 'defend'. What is anyone supposed to do about it now? Which countries in particular is he/you referring to?
The above concerns are in fact addressed in the article, have a read of it to save me having to type it all out probably less well than Gilley did.

http://fooddeserts.org/images/paper0114.pdf
http://sci-hub.ac/10.1080/01436597.2017.1369037
https://sci-hub.cc/downloads/fbf0/10.10 ... 369037.pdf

Also good reads on the same basic topic are traditional Orientalists like Bernard Lewis, and also a younger generation: the likes of Robert Irwin’s (2006) Dangerous knowledge: Orientalism and its discontents, Ibn Warraq’s (2007) Defending the West: A critique of Edward Said’s Orientalism or Daniel Martin Varisco’s (2007) Reading orientalism: Said and the unsaid.
Last edited by Seleucus on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:26 am
Seleucus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:22 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:16 amYou... your...
ad hom/projection.

This thread is for the discussion of Bruce Gilley's article.
Where's the article then? It's a bit hard to discuss it when 'ONE' cannot read it.
These links all work for me...

http://fooddeserts.org/images/paper0114.pdf
http://sci-hub.ac/10.1080/01436597.2017.1369037
https://sci-hub.cc/downloads/fbf0/10.10 ... 369037.pdf
Greta

Post by Greta »

When I read the OP title I wondered if this was about how we reduce consciousness to just the brain but don't much consider other major body systems' contributions, especially the digestive system and its hundred million neurons or so. Alas no.

Whatever, any non developed society that has not yet been colonised either will be, or they will struggle in the globalised market or go under with climate change. The world is going through a rapid period of change and some of the beauty of the past, such as other species and tribal humans, are collateral damage. By the same token, I'm not sure that western style democracy - or its current shadow - will survive this century. Everyone gets replaced in the end.

Even when authorities try to avoid harm to the few remaining tribes, then poachers, illegal miners and other criminals do the damage, such as happened in the Amazon recently. I think it's more a matter of resignation than defence.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

Greta wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:46 amresignation
I am brimming with optimism and purpose, and filled with fight and vigor!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Seleucus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:53 am
You would be.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

Loss of purpose and depression are not unique to just our own civilizational trajectory, it was discussed in ancient times as well and is definitely something that needs to be talked about if we are going to recover, and head on to the stars! Part of why the West is the best is the ability to host introspective self-criticism, but there is a line beyond where it's not constructive and is pathological suicidal self-hatred. Thankfully, we know a lot about how to heal from mental illness and about motivation. Let's do it!
Greta

Post by Greta »

Jolly good.

However, I for one, spare a thought and charity dollars towards those who are being replaced because they have qualities not found in modernity.

I don't think you will be quite so thrilled as the white wonderland rapidly becomes yellow utopia and brown bliss. What goes around, comes around. We are all replaced in time.
vegetariantaxidermy

Btw, is 'colonism' the act of having a colon, or the antics of those members of the colon appreciation society? Personally I prefer the semi-colon.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

Greta wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:10 am
those who are being replaced because they have qualities not found in modernity.
I used to think this noble savage stuff too until I spent enough time around savages to realize savagery isn't a noble thing, its ugly, and ignorant and cruel. de Maistre is right. Savages are the failed societies, they failed because they have bad social habits. That isn't to say there absolutely wasn't a sort of semi-mythical golden age of enlightened archaic people, a "Vedic homeland in the North" sort of place, a Thule or Hyperborea, but the savage races that remain in savagery today are not them. I'm sort of undecided on this point: do 3rd World people have IQs of 60 because they are corrupted societies and psychologies, or because humans are naturally daft and civilization is required to create intelligence? I lean to wards natural daftness which would explain the use of pre-historic tool kits of sticks and stones for millions of years.
I don't think you will be quite so thrilled as the white wonderland rapidly becomes yellow utopia and brown bliss. What goes around, comes around. We are all replaced in time.
I hope the very best for the coloreds. Whites ought to have a leadership and parental sort of relationship to the more childish races. The White race and Western culture will not be replaced despite the fear mongering, it is the dominant race in the World and our languages, political systems and culture are taking over basically every single other society. White people aren't becoming beige, its the dark people who are, take an honest look around and you'll have to agree on that point. If you know who Seleucus was and my avatar you can see this is all very central to my identity. But I found something even better lately, even more East-West: "The Questions of King Malinda" from the old Greco-Buddhist kingdoms. Very excited to read that once I have some time to! I might change my screen name to Menander?
davidm

Post by davidm »

Seleucus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:32 am I'm sort of undecided on this point: do 3rd World people have IQs of 60 because they are corrupted societies and psychologies, or because humans are naturally daft and civilization is required to create intelligence?
Evidence that "3rd World people have IQs of 60"? Or is it that YOU have an IQ of 60?

:lol:

This place is infested with dummies like this. When intelligent people come by and read the puerile oinks of an addlepated blatherskite like Seleucus, what makes you (the people who run the place) think that intelligent people will want to waste time posting here, as opposed to laughing the joint off? :lol:
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

davidm wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:50 amEvidence that "3rd World people have IQs of 60"?
"the average IQ of the Black population of sub-Saharan Africa lies below 70".

Wicherts, J. M., Dolan, C. V., & van der Maas, H. L. (2010). A systematic literature review of the average IQ of sub-Saharan Africans. Intelligence, 38(1), 1-20.

(The final conclusion of the study seems to be that it may be closer to 80, either way, dumb as bricks.)

Enough to keep one busy reading for about a decade here: https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?hl ... l+iq&btnG=

The point isn't to be mean or racist. I personally doubt genetic race is a major factor. 3rd World people on average do not know things you take for utter granted like how to hold a pencil or how to tie shoe laces. People of conscience need to start caring about this, not pretending the 3rd World has a beautiful and endangered society or that to talk about it is bigoted.
YOU
ad hom/projection
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

davidm wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:50 amwhat makes you (the people who run the place) think that intelligent people will want to waste time posting here, as opposed to laughing the joint off? :lol:
Haven't even skimmed Gilley's article yet, right?
vegetariantaxidermy

Seleucus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:32 am ... the savage races that remain in savagery today ...... do 3rd World people have IQs of 60 because they are corrupted societies and psychologies,
I assume you are talking about Americans here.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Seleucus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:32 amI used to think this noble savage stuff too ...
If you cannot appreciate the positive aspects of tribal peoples or other species - who are certainly not all "savage" - then there is no point in continuing. I've given my view and you disagree. I'd rather note waste time butting my head against a fixed prejudice and silly misinformation. I get enough of that from Nick.