Truman's folly

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Truman's folly

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:24 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:27 pm Overall, you are beyond my doubt a very intelligent and learned man, Melchior. But I'm not seeing the truth in what you are saying above.
What on earth has he said that gives you that idea?
Melchior claims to be above me in matters having to do with philosophy so I guess I was taking his word for it. From where I apparently stand I should evidently consider him intelligent and learned (at least relative to myself). I'd like to think most of us on here possess some degree of intelligence and learning. Otherwise we wouldn't be here because we wouldn't even know what philosophy is. Of course being intelligent (maybe "clever" would be a better word) and having read books, doesn't necessarily equate with being wise. I don't think he's being wise in his comments, which is why I very deliberately did not use the word "wise" in my description of him above. However, maybe I am also wrong in my statements about him being intelligent and learned. I could very well be. I don't know Melchior beyond a few comments I've seen from him and some limited autobiographical remarks I've seen him make about himself. I'd like to give him benefit of the doubt. But maybe I shouldn't.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

I have a BA in philosophy, and am very well read.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Melchior wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:27 pm
Melchior wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:22 pm To try to avoid a war that seems inevitable when the circumstances favour your side is stupid. Hitler could have been stopped earlier, and much easier, when Germany was still weak. All we have been doing with regard to North Korea is just like what happened before, with Germany and Japan. We need to crush them before it is too late.
What exactly do you mean by 'crush'? Is that like 'kicking their 'ass' '? You yank warmongers have such quaint ways of referring to mass murder and genocide.
Not really. Consider The Great War, which the US did not enter until very late (and probably unwisely). We actually have not been the ones guilty of 'mass murder genocide'. Try Japan, China, USSR, Nazi Germany, Holland, Belgium, the UK, etc. Not to mention Hannibal...
Melchior, I would love to think that we are not guilty of "mass murder genocide". Believe me, I would. But you are forgetting the native population of North America. The proverbial "cat is out of the bag" and the rest of the world found out about it long ago. So I see no reason for us to think we are any better than anyone else in the regard of our past and "genocide". It's probably wiser to own up and stop believing we are any more exceptional in the world than many others are. Maybe we should just try being mere mortals for awhile and see how that goes over.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 pm

What exactly do you mean by 'crush'? Is that like 'kicking their 'ass' '? You yank warmongers have such quaint ways of referring to mass murder and genocide.
Not really. Consider The Great War, which the US did not enter until very late (and probably unwisely). We actually have not been the ones guilty of 'mass murder genocide'. Try Japan, China, USSR, Nazi Germany, Holland, Belgium, the UK, etc. Not to mention Hannibal...
Melchior, I would love to think that we are not guilty of "mass murder genocide". Believe me, I would. But you are forgetting the native population of North America. The proverbial "cat is out of the bag" and the rest of the world found out about it long ago. So I see no reason for us to think we are any better than anyone else in the regard of our past and "genocide". It's probably wiser to own up and stop believing we are any more exceptional in the world than many others are. Maybe we should just try being mere mortals for awhile and see how that goes over.
Not every country has set itself up as the moral standard-bearer and policeman of the planet though, or constantly meddles in others' affairs, disrupting social evoloution and destablising and destroying whole regions. Some peoples have evolved and learnt from their past evils.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Melchior wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:01 pm I have a BA in philosophy, and am very well read.
I dropped out of college after being diagnosed with Schizophrenia and therefore don't have a BA. I accumulated enough overall credits to be considered a "junior" and actually took a lot of extraneous courses I didn't need as part of my "curriculum", just because I was interested in them. I read considerably after dropping out until I began to realize that much of what I was reading was a series of incomplete statements on paper from people who experienced similar things I have. I became a little disheartened after realizing that and I don't read as much anymore, other than what people post on forums.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:25 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Not every country has set itself up as the moral standard-bearer and policeman of the planet though, or constantly meddles in others' affairs, disrupting social evoloution and destablising and destroying whole regions. Some peoples have evolved and learnt from their past evils.
I'm in total agreement. That's why I said to Melchior that "we" (implying US citizens) should just try being mere mortals for a while.

EDIT: "Mere mortals" meaning stop playing world cop and try cooperating as just a regular member of the world community instead.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Melchior wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:35 am He should have allowed MacArthur to finish them off....now look what has happened!

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... s-in-korea
The USA did not have the will, the skill or the manpower to "finish them off". Take a look at Vietnam for god's sake!!!
The US's aim is to make money from arms sales. I does not give a rat's arse about anything else. South Korea has been a bonanza of fat arms sellers with the snouts in the trough.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Melchior wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:22 pm To try to avoid a war that seems inevitable when the circumstances favour your side is stupid. Hitler could have been stopped earlier, and much easier, when Germany was still weak. All we have been doing with regard to North Korea is just like what happened before, with Germany and Japan. We need to crush them before it is too late.
right... wide eyes have committed genocide since 1492

-Imp
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:35 am

-Imp
Huh?
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:49 pm
Melchior wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:35 am He should have allowed MacArthur to finish them off....now look what has happened!

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... s-in-korea
The USA did not have the will, the skill or the manpower to "finish them off". Take a look at Vietnam for god's sake!!!
The US's aim is to make money from arms sales. I does not give a rat's arse about anything else. South Korea has been a bonanza of fat arms sellers with the snouts in the trough.
Someone who actually gets it. The drones think war is about politics. No wonder politicians want to keep populations as stupid as possible.
(ps Please try to keep out of trouble).
But that's not what I wrote is it, Mr.Stinks.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Oh. I see the little fascist no-brain has been polishing his jack-boots again.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Melchior wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:06 am

-Imp
Huh?
ask an Indian

-Imp
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm

-Imp
Huh?
ask an Indian

-Imp
The United States is relatively unblemished by the kind of thing you are talking about. The Spaniards....now there's a bunch of scum!

Now stick to the goddam topic! TRUMAN!!!!
vegetariantaxidermy

Melchior wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Huh?
ask an Indian

-Imp
The United States is relatively unblemished by the kind of thing you are talking about. The Spaniards....now there's a bunch of scum!

What an idiot. Society has supposedly moved on since the Romans were throwing children over cliffs. How far back would you like to go?
And let me guess, you have a hard-on for war, adore the death penalty, but you are against choice regarding euthanasia (human life is sacred) ditto abortion.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Melchior wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Huh?
ask an Indian

-Imp

not unblemished in the least... but killing is killing and those that can, do...

-Imp