Truman's folly

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Melchior

Re: Truman's folly

Post by Melchior »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:14 pm
Melchior wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 pm
Impenitent wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm

ask an Indian

-Imp
The United States is relatively unblemished by the kind of thing you are talking about. The Spaniards....now there's a bunch of scum!

Now stick to the goddam topic! TRUMAN!!!!
What an idiot. Society has supposedly moved on since the Romans were throwing children over cliffs. How far back would you like to go?
And let me guess, you have a hard-on for war, adore the death penalty, but you are against choice regarding euthanasia (human life is sacred) ditto abortion.
When I was a young man, I was a rover,
Nothing would satisfy me but a wife.
Soon as I reached the age of twenty
Weary was I of a single life.

The very first year my wife I married,
Out of her company I could not stay.
Her voice was sweet as the lark or the linnet
Or the nightingale at the break of day.

Now she's fairly altered her meaning,
Now she's fairly changed her tune.
Nothing but scolding comes from her mouth
So the poor man's labour's never done.

The very first year that we were married
Scarce could I get one half hour's sleep.
With her two heels she rubbed my shins,
Cries, "Husband dear, put down your feet."

The baby cried, she bitterly scolded,
Down to the door I was forced for to run.
Without trousers, wig or a waistcoat,
The poor man's labour's never done.

I went up to the top of the hill
For to view my sheep that had all gone astray.
When I came back she was lying in her bed
At twelve o'clock on a winter's day.

When I came back both wet and weary,
Weary and wet, now where could I run?
She was lying in her bed, the fire up beside her,
She said, "Young man, is the kettle on?"

I'll go home to my aged mother,
She'll be sitting all alone;
Says there's plenty young women to be had
Why should I be tied to one?

All young men that is to marry
Though they'll grieve you ever more,
Death o death, come take my wife
And then my sorrows will be o'er
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:20 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:25 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 am No, it's talking bollocks that only 'means' something to you.
Then, denial of what means much to many, such as the lessons of Milarepa’s life and in particular those aspects of human weakness that cause wishing for others to die, a wish that you’ve expressed in wishing for the deaths of Americans, can serve as a self-referencing touchstone for the isolationist diagnosis that concerns you. Denial is a form of no. Those who say yes look for clues as to how, and with so many strewn about it should be a snap. To keep it more directly relevant to the thread, knowing where the buck stops nourishes truthful understanding devoid of delusional attachments, which likely allowed Harry a peaceful night's sleep.
Good luck in your studies of Milarepa. I hope whatever wisdom he possessed rubs off on you.
School has been out for some time, as it turns out.

Inappropriate piety is a pukeable offense committed upon rationality.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:35 am
Melchior wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:27 pm

What exactly do you mean by 'crush'? Is that like 'kicking their 'ass' '? You yank warmongers have such quaint ways of referring to mass murder and genocide.
Not really. Consider The Great War, which the US did not enter until very late (and probably unwisely). We actually have not been the ones guilty of 'mass murder genocide'. Try Japan, China, USSR, Nazi Germany, Holland, Belgium, the UK, etc. Not to mention Hannibal...
right... wide eyes have committed genocide since 1492

-Imp

And it never stops. Now Sytria, tomorrow NK or IRAN - have to keep the arms dealers happy eh?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:22 am
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:49 pm
Melchior wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:35 am He should have allowed MacArthur to finish them off....now look what has happened!

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... s-in-korea
The USA did not have the will, the skill or the manpower to "finish them off". Take a look at Vietnam for god's sake!!!
The US's aim is to make money from arms sales. I does not give a rat's arse about anything else. South Korea has been a bonanza of fat arms sellers with the snouts in the trough.
Someone who actually gets it. The drones think war is about politics. No wonder politicians want to keep populations as stupid as possible.
(ps Please try to keep out of trouble).
But that's not what I wrote is it, Mr.Stinks.
Nice to be back, sort of...
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Melchior wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 pm
Impenitent wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm
Melchior wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:06 am

Huh?
ask an Indian

-Imp
The United States is relatively unblemished by the kind of thing you are talking about. The Spaniards....now there's a bunch of scum!

Now stick to the goddam topic! TRUMAN!!!!
LOL!! In fact ROTFLMFHO.
White settlers to the Americas have been murdering native populations. The Spanish actually slaughtered fewer that the USA. You've only to compare native numbers in South America, and Canada as a proportion of the general population, as in the USA they have all but disappeared.
"Unblemished" - I bet you think that the USA won the war in Vietnam like they told you in school???
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Au contraire!

When the Spaniards (Pizarro?) went to Atahualpa, he told them that they were not worried about such a small number of men. Atahualpa said they certainly would have killed them first if they had regarded them as a threat.

The notion of 'peace-loving' Indians is a hoax.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Melchior wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:56 pm Au contraire!

When the Spaniards (Pizarro?) went to Atahualpa, he told them that they were not worried about such a small number of men. Atahualpa said they certainly would have killed them first if they had regarded them as a threat.

The notion of 'peace-loving' Indians is a hoax.

Is this some sort of moronic response to me??
Jesus!!!
Walker

Post by Walker »

"At the widest-angle view, one can see a whopping difference across the millennia that separate us from our pre-state ancestors. Contra leftist anthropologists who celebrate the noble savage, quantitative body-counts—such as the proportion of prehistoric skeletons with axemarks and embedded arrowheads or the proportion of men in a contemporary foraging tribe who die at the hands of other men—suggest that pre-state societies were far more violent than our own. It is true that raids and battles killed a tiny percentage of the numbers that die in modern warfare. But, in tribal violence, the clashes are more frequent, the percentage of men in the population who fight is greater, and the rates of death per battle are higher. According to anthropologists like Lawrence Keeley, Stephen LeBlanc, Phillip Walker, and Bruce Knauft, these factors combine to yield population-wide rates of death in tribal warfare that dwarf those of modern times. If the wars of the twentieth century had killed the same proportion of the population that die in the wars of a typical tribal society, there would have been two billion deaths, not 100 million."

- Steven Pinker
https://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/pinker ... index.html
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:23 pm "At the widest-angle view, one can see a whopping difference across the millennia that separate us from our pre-state ancestors. Contra leftist anthropologists who celebrate the noble savage, quantitative body-counts—such as the proportion of prehistoric skeletons with axemarks and embedded arrowheads or the proportion of men in a contemporary foraging tribe who die at the hands of other men—suggest that pre-state societies were far more violent than our own. It is true that raids and battles killed a tiny percentage of the numbers that die in modern warfare. But, in tribal violence, the clashes are more frequent, the percentage of men in the population who fight is greater, and the rates of death per battle are higher. According to anthropologists like Lawrence Keeley, Stephen LeBlanc, Phillip Walker, and Bruce Knauft, these factors combine to yield population-wide rates of death in tribal warfare that dwarf those of modern times. If the wars of the twentieth century had killed the same proportion of the population that die in the wars of a typical tribal society, there would have been two billion deaths, not 100 million."

- Steven Pinker
Do you have a point? 'prehistoric skeletons with axemarks...' Is this news? There were hardly any humans around then too. Killing five people might have been killing 50 percent of the population :lol: It was 'law of the jungle' times. What's our excuse now, with our alleged 'kristian morality' and comfortable lifestyle?
Walker

Post by Walker »

The point is peace loving not, as the link explains in more depth.

Pinker says pre-state, not prehistoric, btw.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:18 am The point is peace loving not, as the link explains in more depth.

Pinker says pre-state, not prehistoric, btw.
He mentioned 'pre-historic skeletons with axe marks'.
Walker

Post by Walker »

So? Pinker finds the point morally imponderable. You obviously don’t. Also, pre-state cuts a wider swath which prehistoric excludes.

“And the choice to focus on relative rather than absolute numbers brings up the moral imponderable of whether it is worse for 50 percent of a population of 100 to be killed or 1 percent in a population of one billion.”
- Pinker

btw: Christian is spelled with a C, not a K.

btw 2, for who knows who shall see the morrow, an indulgence off topic comped for the Punt: :D

Christianity has survived to thrive for 2000 years.

The how is worth serious consideration, as it carries a weight of causality given credence by transcendence of particulars throughout ten score of centuries, with life as the measure (certainly not math), and as you should know by now Intelligent But Strangely Twisted (IBST), life is the measure.

Disrespect is so banal, so sophomoric. Rise above the pettiness and consider the worth of anything in comparison.

To say something like, for instant, “Christianity has survived because of the superstitious nature of man,” is purely ignorant. (I just made that up.) And you know why? Because the statement can only assert based on an arrogant assumption of what one knows of reasoning and the way of things; the assumption is only from a basis that will last likely four score and seven, if you're lucky. Or else, it's just made up.

Yes, a brief interlude from the form causes a bit of amnesia of the form, don't you know. It's the story of the briar patch, as you should know by now.

With Christianity, with a capital C like the name of Christ, the one left standing and transcending all fashion, is the winner.

That this cannot be seen, like LED against thousands of stars in ink, continues to amaze. To accredit the cause to any of kind of no, is illogical, for life is yes.

Now, gimme something good, something to look forward to, if you please. And for Truman's sake, strive for folly.

As if writing in water, isn't.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:23 pm "At the widest-angle view, one can see a whopping difference across the millennia that separate us from our pre-state ancestors. Contra leftist anthropologists who celebrate the noble savage, quantitative body-counts—such as the proportion of prehistoric skeletons with axemarks and embedded arrowheads or the proportion of men in a contemporary foraging tribe who die at the hands of other men—suggest that pre-state societies were far more violent than our own. It is true that raids and battles killed a tiny percentage of the numbers that die in modern warfare. But, in tribal violence, the clashes are more frequent, the percentage of men in the population who fight is greater, and the rates of death per battle are higher. According to anthropologists like Lawrence Keeley, Stephen LeBlanc, Phillip Walker, and Bruce Knauft, these factors combine to yield population-wide rates of death in tribal warfare that dwarf those of modern times. If the wars of the twentieth century had killed the same proportion of the population that die in the wars of a typical tribal society, there would have been two billion deaths, not 100 million."

- Steven Pinker
Pinker is a twat.