Truman's folly

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Truman's folly

Post by Walker »

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the situation.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

I'm reasonably familiar with the situation. Are you?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Enough to not ask the stupid questions you're asking.

Between nations, mercy is conditional and follows sincere requests for mercy.
Unconditional mercy is dispensed willy-nilly by saints, not nations.
Credible threats of violence are not sincere requests for mercy.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Knowing what I do of what is going on in the world, I guess it sort of surprises me that you feel the way you do.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:08 pm Enough to not ask the stupid questions you're asking.

Between nations, mercy is conditional and follows sincere requests for mercy.
Unconditional mercy is dispensed willy-nilly by saints, not nations.
Credible threats of violence are not sincere requests for mercy.
My questions are relevant. You haven't answered any of them, however.
Walker

Post by Walker »

That's where you're wrong. Your repeated insistence on others functioning on the basis of feelings is but one indication of either stupidity or dishonesty, neither of which is particularly inspiring for civil discourse.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:12 pm Your repeated insistence on others functioning on the basis of feelings is but one indication of either stupidity or dishonesty, neither of which is particularly inspiring for civil discourse.
Can we get back to the question of whether you feel/think (or however you wish to characterize it) that no one in NK is deserving of mercy or is it just KJU?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

BTW: Feel free to ask me any questions you wish. I'll answer.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Between nations, anyone who sincerely asks for mercy and meets the conditions, is deserving.

Are you deliberately obtuse?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:29 pm Between nations, anyone who sincerely asks for mercy and meets the conditions, is deserving.

Are you deliberately obtuse?
OK. Has the US asked for mercy from NK? I don't remember such an event. If that is the case, are we therefore not deserving of mercy?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Between nations, anyone who sincerely asks for mercy and meets the conditions, is deserving.

What are the conditions, Gary?

btw: you haven't answered the first question, whether or not you're deliberately obtuse.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:39 pm Between nations, anyone who sincerely asks for mercy and meets the conditions, is deserving.

What are the conditions, Gary?

btw: you haven't answered the first question, whether or not you're deliberately obtuse.
IF I am obtuse, then, no, it is not deliberate on my part.

Now will you answer my question? Is the US deserving of mercy from NK? If so can you explain to me why we are deserving? You have stated that one of the criteria for deserving mercy is to ask for it. I don't believe the US has asked NK for mercy, therefore we do not seem to meet the criteria which you are presenting as required for deserving mercy. Therefore it appears to me that we don't deserve mercy.
Walker

Post by Walker »

I did answer.
I asked, what are the conditions? This is my second question to go unanswered. And after you promised and all. You had to be be reminded to answer the first, and your answer is why this ends.

You didn't answer. You're stuck on mercy for some reason. I suspect shame is involved.

The conditions are these:

For North Korea, the U.S. is to sit still and do nothing, while N. Korea lobs nukes at the US, and Asian allies.

For the U.S., N. Korea is to stfu and knock it off.

That's about it. Carry on.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:06 pm I did answer.
I asked, what are the conditions? This is my second question to go unanswered. And after you promised and all. You had to be be reminded to answer the first, and your answer is why this ends.

You didn't answer. You're stuck on mercy for some reason. I suspect shame is involved.

The conditions are these:

For North Korea, the U.S. is to sit still and do nothing, while N. Korea lobs nukes at the US, and Asian allies.

For the U.S., N. Korea is to stfu and knock it off.

That's about it. Carry on.
You said:

"Between nations, anyone who sincerely asks for mercy and meets the conditions, is deserving."

I pointed out that we don't meet the stipulation of asking for mercy. If we don't meet the first stipulation then what does it matter whether we meet the following stipulation or not. Therefore I'm asking you if we deserve mercy. Do we deserve mercy? If we deserve mercy then is that to make an exception to your statement? Or did you perhaps mean to use "or" instead of "and"?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

I'm all for laying down rules for deserving mercy if that's what people want to do. I'd just rather not see us get shot in the foot in the process. I mean, I'd like to think we deserve mercy. Please tell me we do.