Your call. What do you do?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Your call. What do you do?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:32 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:22 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:12 pm
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to get at in posting that picture, VT. Can you elaborate a little. We're all adults here and can surely communicate in rational means.
When you said you were offended by 'schizophrenic' but not by 'has schizophrenia' it reminded me of the 'help spastics' photo I saw earlier today on another site.
I was in no way suggesting you are a spastic (or 'spastic'. I don't think I've ever used the word so I'm not sure what the correct etiquette is). I'm genuinely fascinated by social evolution and how these changes come about.

''Benedict Cumberbatch has come under fire for misguidedly using the word 'coloured' in an interview.''

''Coloured person''=evil to the point of causing unbearable suffering and suicidal depression to those described as such.
''Person of colour''=very very good. Passes the PC code of ethics and 'minimal offending capability scale' with flying colours (can we say colours? :shock: )
Fair enough. I guess if I have schizophrenia, then I must be "a schizophrenic". BTW: I checked out the Urban dictionary for a definition of "spastic" and it said that it's a very derogatory insult in Britain [edit: sorry I should say UK] along the lines of calling someone "retarded". Maybe my social development was a bit "retarded" by events that profoundly shaped and contorted my psyche in youth. So I suppose I do fit the label, to whatever degree, of being "retarded" also. From that information I thought maybe you were alluding to me that I am "spastic" by posting the picture. However, I gave you benefit of the doubt and asked what you meant by the picture of whatever device with the word "spastics" on it. I thought I was being charitable but I suppose I was inhibiting your freedom of speech to make me feel like I'm an inferior and defective human being. Maybe, if the shoe fits, then I should just wear it. Nothing in this world is ever really going to change. People will be people. I suppose humanity really is a malicious mutation. Call me "a schizophrenic" or "a retard" if you wish.
We all have problems, Gary. Do you expect special treatment and pity? You didn't get my point and you never will, so there's not a lot of point in continuing with this. I'm offended by your insinuations.
vegetariantaxidermy

Belinda wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:51 pm Veggy wrote:
Disagree all you want. I don't think any yank on here has ever understood a single thing I have written, so one more time isn't going to make a heck of a lot of difference. Thanks for the advice. Have a nice day :D
You should not say that about Yanks. The best universities in the world are American, last time I saw the league tables.
That's debateable. And there is this thing called 'money' that can't buy either love or charm (and your comment has nothing to do with what I wrote).
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:39 pmI feel like I'm damaged for the rest of my life and will never be able to fit in with the rest of humanity. I mostly keep to a circle of friends who are also all diagnosed with mental illnesses. They are the only people I can really talk and relate to. Such is life.
You describe yourself as too removed from the rest of humanity due to mental illness but how many who are not diagnosed with such can't manage to blend in either? Judging on how the "rest of humanity" behaves, it's mental health report is exceedingly dubious to begin with. Nietzsche called man a "sick animal". From that perspective mental illnesses are merely matters of comparison that being "normality"!

...but one thing's for certain; your levelheaded and even approach in discussions does make you ill-adapted for philosophy forums.
vegetariantaxidermy

Belinda wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 pm Gary Childress wrote:
BTW: I checked out the Urban dictionary for a definition of "spastic" and it said that it's a very derogatory insult in Britain [edit: sorry I should say UK] along the lines of calling someone "retarded".
It's bad anywhere, not only in Britain,(I am British and I don't always know what to call the country :oops: ) to call someone "a spastic". This is because spasticity should not define a person. It is unpleasant to have spastic muscular movements, and if I had spastic muscular movements I would like to be defined as a person, a woman, an old lady, a Scotswoman, anything which it is okay to be as long as it's not abusive. Similarly we should not refer to "the deaf" and "the blind" as though deaf people and blind people were sectioned off from the rest of society which they are not in any decent company.

It is true that some defects are used as insults. This is bad for the person who employs the insult because they could become a sufferer themself , and then they have insulted themself.

Similarly in any well-run hospital or clinic a patient with schizophrenia is not called "a schizophrenic" . Without a doubt that patient is a well-rounded person and it is disproportionate to identify them by their disability.

There used to be time when patients were referred to as "cases" of this or "cases" of that. Not any longer if the clinician has professional good manners.
True. Schizophrenia is no different from having a cold. Heaven forbid that we should treat them as if they have a horrific mental disorder that affects every aspect of their lives or that they can't function safely without powerful antipsychotics.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:56 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:32 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:22 pm

When you said you were offended by 'schizophrenic' but not by 'has schizophrenia' it reminded me of the 'help spastics' photo I saw earlier today on another site.
I was in no way suggesting you are a spastic (or 'spastic'. I don't think I've ever used the word so I'm not sure what the correct etiquette is). I'm genuinely fascinated by social evolution and how these changes come about.

''Benedict Cumberbatch has come under fire for misguidedly using the word 'coloured' in an interview.''

''Coloured person''=evil to the point of causing unbearable suffering and suicidal depression to those described as such.
''Person of colour''=very very good. Passes the PC code of ethics and 'minimal offending capability scale' with flying colours (can we say colours? :shock: )
Fair enough. I guess if I have schizophrenia, then I must be "a schizophrenic". BTW: I checked out the Urban dictionary for a definition of "spastic" and it said that it's a very derogatory insult in Britain [edit: sorry I should say UK] along the lines of calling someone "retarded". Maybe my social development was a bit "retarded" by events that profoundly shaped and contorted my psyche in youth. So I suppose I do fit the label, to whatever degree, of being "retarded" also. From that information I thought maybe you were alluding to me that I am "spastic" by posting the picture. However, I gave you benefit of the doubt and asked what you meant by the picture of whatever device with the word "spastics" on it. I thought I was being charitable but I suppose I was inhibiting your freedom of speech to make me feel like I'm an inferior and defective human being. Maybe, if the shoe fits, then I should just wear it. Nothing in this world is ever really going to change. People will be people. I suppose humanity really is a malicious mutation. Call me "a schizophrenic" or "a retard" if you wish.
We all have problems, Gary. Do you expect special treatment and pity? You didn't get my point and you never will, so there's not a lot of point in continuing with this. I'm offended by your insinuations.
There are many ways I could answer your statement concerning me wanting "special treatment" which would only invite infinite regress on the part of both of us.

I get some of your points but not others. But maybe I am unduly picking on you. I'll try to stop.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:39 pmHi Greta, yes I understood your use of the word "yank" and knew you didn't mean it in a degrading way. And I understand that there is rough housing and banter from friends that is probably more akin to preparing a person for the same sort of treatment from outsiders. I've also looked back on my experiences from childhood and have come to accept some of my own fault for bringing some of the bad treatment upon myself to whatever degree. However, like I say, it was very traumatic (meaning something that profoundly affected my psyche) to experience what I did in childhood. That's why I am maybe overly sensitive to insults and rough housing. I feel like I'm damaged for the rest of my life and will never be able to fit in with the rest of humanity. I mostly keep to a circle of friends who are also all diagnosed with mental illnesses. They are the only people I can really talk and relate to. Such is life.
Yes - "preparing a person for the same sort of treatment ..." - like young animals play wrestling. I unfortunately know the damage too well, Gary, though what we had to deal with had nothing to do with play banter and everything to do with eliminating competition.

I've not met anyone before who copped it as badly at school as I did, so I sympathise. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, well, not many ;)

I was gifted two decades of regularly thinking about suicide with concomitant career and relationship failures and low paid menial jobs despite vocational guidance assessing me as top 1-2% intelligence. Like you, I don't have the feeling of being scarred by the experience so much as having lost a limb. As you noted, there is permanent loss of potential and capacity in life (including loss of mental capacity, which was my main talent and source of fun).

In my naivete, I underestimated the damage of school and was optimistic that I would overcome. Now that I am retired and can look back, it's clear that I'd constructed what most people would deem a dysfunctional, over-solitary, under-achieving life that few would want for themselves. However, retirement has also given me the luxury of mentally panning out from the annoying social gaming of post-apes scuttling around the surface of a world in space, each of us basically organised EM energy received from the Sun. Existence is wild, often uncontrolled, so damage happens, and often plenty worse than what happened to us.

I look back at how I and others have been ready to surrender our lives - our minds, our bodies, everything - just because some stupid brat post-apes harmed us when we were young, and I now see it as crazy. Ditto the ancient Japanese committing hari kuri through shame. A pointless waste caused by society's conditioning that the opinions of others are all-important - that the human world is everything.

Think about it - if society wants obedience then they would say that, wouldn't they? It is a damaging lie, arguably made with good intentions. Yes, people's opinions can practically impact on us, eg. gaining cooperation but they are hugely overrated to keep us obediently within the fold. Politicians show us just how impotent the opinions of others are as they stride coolly through torrents of criticism.

Then consider the lives of countless mystics, geniuses and hermits who left the hurly burly for a deeper mental existence free of the BS and prattle. If there is no part of us that is immune to others' opinions then we are rootless and vulnerable. For me now, hobbies are my core, rather than social interaction - playing music, bushwalking, gardening, existentialist thinking, metaphysics, space - the interests of my childhood that reflect my true inclinations before high school threw me off course. I think it helps to remember who you were before all the BS.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Greta wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:24 am
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:39 pmHi Greta, yes I understood your use of the word "yank" and knew you didn't mean it in a degrading way. And I understand that there is rough housing and banter from friends that is probably more akin to preparing a person for the same sort of treatment from outsiders. I've also looked back on my experiences from childhood and have come to accept some of my own fault for bringing some of the bad treatment upon myself to whatever degree. However, like I say, it was very traumatic (meaning something that profoundly affected my psyche) to experience what I did in childhood. That's why I am maybe overly sensitive to insults and rough housing. I feel like I'm damaged for the rest of my life and will never be able to fit in with the rest of humanity. I mostly keep to a circle of friends who are also all diagnosed with mental illnesses. They are the only people I can really talk and relate to. Such is life.
Yes - "preparing a person for the same sort of treatment ..." - like young animals play wrestling. I unfortunately know the damage too well, Gary, though what we had to deal with had nothing to do with play banter and everything to do with eliminating competition.

I've not met anyone before who copped it as badly at school as I did, so I sympathise. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, well, not many ;)

I was gifted two decades of regularly thinking about suicide with concomitant career and relationship failures and low paid menial jobs despite vocational guidance assessing me as top 1-2% intelligence. Like you, I don't have the feeling of being scarred by the experience so much as having lost a limb. As you noted, there is permanent loss of potential and capacity in life (including loss of mental capacity, which was my main talent and source of fun).

In my naivete, I underestimated the damage of school and was optimistic that I would overcome. Now that I am retired and can look back, it's clear that I'd constructed what most people would deem a dysfunctional, over-solitary, under-achieving life that few would want for themselves. However, retirement has also given me the luxury of mentally panning out from the annoying social gaming of post-apes scuttling around the surface of a world in space, each of us basically organised EM energy received from the Sun. Existence is wild, often uncontrolled, so damage happens, and often plenty worse than what happened to us.

I look back at how I and others have been ready to surrender our lives - our minds, our bodies, everything - just because some stupid brat post-apes harmed us when we were young, and I now see it as crazy. Ditto the ancient Japanese committing hari kuri through shame. A pointless waste caused by society's conditioning that the opinions of others are all-important - that the human world is everything.

Think about it - if society wants obedience then they would say that, wouldn't they? It is a damaging lie, arguably made with good intentions. Yes, people's opinions can practically impact on us, eg. gaining cooperation but they are hugely overrated to keep us obediently within the fold. Politicians show us just how impotent the opinions of others are as they stride coolly through torrents of criticism.

Then consider the lives of countless mystics, geniuses and hermits who left the hurly burly for a deeper mental existence free of the BS and prattle. If there is no part of us that is immune to others' opinions then we are rootless and vulnerable. For me now, hobbies are my core, rather than social interaction - playing music, bushwalking, gardening, existentialist thinking, metaphysics, space - the interests of my childhood that reflect my true inclinations before high school threw me off course. I think it helps to remember who you were before all the BS.
I remember at a very early age everyone being split into three separate education groups based on whatever performance criteria. There was a lot of contention over it as kids wrestled with their respective identities and differences but probably much the same thing would have happened had all the kids been mixed together in the same classroom. Parents and kids would still be struggling for education resources and attention.

In any case I too wish I could just retire from society and be over it. However, social struggle seems to be omnipresent until the day I die. As Sartre observed, there is "no exit". I don't know how many times I have said, "I just don't care anymore". But I always care. I can't help but care. I'm pretty much stuck here until I'm not.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:06 amIn any case I too wish I could just retire from society and be over it. However, social struggle seems to be omnipresent until the day I die. As Sartre observed, there is "no exit". I don't know how many times I have said, "I just don't care anymore". But I always care. I can't help but care. I'm pretty much stuck here until I'm not.
Two old bullying survivors, comparing war wounds. If karma is true I would not want to be those bullies.

Mum used to say, "Stop the world, I want to get off". I can't really speak to my attitudes towards life, they change all the time. Most times I love it but occasionally something trigger all the "stuff" again and I'll lose control of "the negs" for a day or two before, frankly they bore me these days. Been there, done that, goes nowhere.

As for NK, it looks like a wicked problem. If you don't act, they refine their weapons, if you do, then that could lead to nuclear war, which may alleviate global warming but the radiation will offset any benefit. The bottom line is the schism between China and Japan, with SK acting as the Japan/US proxy while NK acts as China's proxy. Thus, to nuke NK is to invite war with China, and that would really screw everyone up to the nth degree.

Maybe best to stock up on Bitcoin?
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:41 pm
Impenitent wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:36 pm and comrade obama's deal with Iran guarantees peaceful utopia

-Imp
Not a good comment, Impertinent. I think many of us just want to peacefully coexist. I don't think Iran poses much of an existential threat to the US if we don't act with hostility toward them. Obama acted like a relatively responsible leader toward Iran. Nuclear proliferation is, unfortunately, inevitable. Creating tension, issuing ultimatums and threats doesn't help anything. Acting out of fear is not a good.
You are an idiot.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... s-in-korea
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Melchior wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:50 am
Impenitent wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:36 pm and comrade obama's deal with Iran guarantees peaceful utopia

-Imp
Not a good comment, Impertinent. I think many of us just want to peacefully coexist. I don't think Iran poses much of an existential threat to the US if we don't act with hostility toward them. Obama acted like a relatively responsible leader toward Iran. Nuclear proliferation is, unfortunately, inevitable. Creating tension, issuing ultimatums and threats doesn't help anything. Acting out of fear is not a good.
You are an idiot.
You seem like a very intelligent man, Melchior.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

And I mean that. I'd just like to get it out there before the chance of all of us ending up incinerated.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Greta wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:35 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:06 amIn any case I too wish I could just retire from society and be over it. However, social struggle seems to be omnipresent until the day I die. As Sartre observed, there is "no exit". I don't know how many times I have said, "I just don't care anymore". But I always care. I can't help but care. I'm pretty much stuck here until I'm not.
Two old bullying survivors, comparing war wounds. If karma is true I would not want to be those bullies.

Mum used to say, "Stop the world, I want to get off". I can't really speak to my attitudes towards life, they change all the time. Most times I love it but occasionally something trigger all the "stuff" again and I'll lose control of "the negs" for a day or two before, frankly they bore me these days. Been there, done that, goes nowhere.

As for NK, it looks like a wicked problem. If you don't act, they refine their weapons, if you do, then that could lead to nuclear war, which may alleviate global warming but the radiation will offset any benefit. The bottom line is the schism between China and Japan, with SK acting as the Japan/US proxy while NK acts as China's proxy. Thus, to nuke NK is to invite war with China, and that would really screw everyone up to the nth degree.

Yeah. Just in case of the worst, I just want to get it out there ahead of the curtain that it's a pleasure to meet a fellow survivor of childhood trauma and such an intelligent one. I hope we all make it through this crisis.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:44 am
Greta wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:35 am

Yeah. Just in case of the worst, I just want to get it out there ahead of the curtain that it's a pleasure to meet a fellow survivor of childhood trauma and such an intelligent one. I hope we all make it through this crisis.
Same here, Gary. You are a good and articulate man and hardly deserving of the torment you described. Still, I think we both did okay, despite it all. It's a strange life challenge that we had, one that seems trivial at first blush - "kids are cruel, oh well" - but one that goes almost to the core of one's being. Over time I think we find various ways to work around it.

As for the missiles, it's all so out of our hands it's not funny. I realised that when our PM ignored marches up to 250,000 strong to join in the disastrous Iraq invasion. If a quarter of a million of you can't make a dent in politicians' decision making processes then nothing can. Hence the current civil unrest, yet not even that got them to take notice; they just battoned down harder.

We are like little animals that may need to scurry for shelter when fights between groups of large animals create chaos in the jungle.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Melchior wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:50 am

-Imp
You are an idiot.
Well, that was refreshingly stupid.

Was there some point you were laboriously aspiring toward, without success? Was there some reason for the link? Was there some reason for your post?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:51 pm Veggy wrote:
Disagree all you want. I don't think any yank on here has ever understood a single thing I have written, so one more time isn't going to make a heck of a lot of difference. Thanks for the advice. Have a nice day :D
You should not say that about Yanks. The best universities in the world are American, last time I saw the league tables.
That's debateable. And there is this thing called 'money' that can't buy either love or charm (and your comment has nothing to do with what I wrote).
There are good Yanks and stupid Yanks. It's true that USA universities are the best. In all my life I have known only three Americans and all three were very okay and not at all stupid, two of them better educated than I and all three more travelled than I. One of them still alive and she can inform me on many matters.

Nevertheless there is a debate to be had about the many many Americans who are oddly religious in the peculiarly punitive style exemplified by President Trump pawing the ground at Kim Jong un.
Last edited by Belinda on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.