Your call. What do you do?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Your call. What do you do?

Post by Belinda »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:11 am
Belinda wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:06 am Spelt is a sort of wheat. Therefore there is no such thing as 'misspelt'.
And words with different meanings can't be spelt the same. :lol:
Veggy, your meaning is clear from the context, and that is what matters. My personal preference is that 'spelled' is more mellifluous; which is one of my favourite words that I don' often get a chance to use.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:43 pm
Belinda wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:06 am Spelt is a sort of wheat. Therefore there is no such thing as 'misspelt'.
Veggy, your meaning is clear from the context, and that is what matters. My personal preference is that 'spelled' is more mellifluous; which is one of my favourite words that I don' often get a chance to use. It means, literally 'honey-flowing' and honey is very nice with bread made from spelt flour
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Veggy, your meaning is clear from the context, and that is what matters. My personal preference is that 'spelled' is more mellifluous; which is one of my favourite words that I don' often get a chance to use.
Thank you for the new word, Belinda. I like it. :)

EDIT: Just to be clear, "new word" in the sense that I have never heard it used before and wasn't aware of its meaning or existence.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Veggy, your meaning is clear from the context, and that is what matters. My personal preference is that 'spelled' is more mellifluous; which is one of my favourite words that I don' often get a chance to use. It means, literally 'honey-flowing' and honey is very nice with bread made from spelt flour
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Gary, shall we get some spelt wheat buns and have them with butter and honey for breakfast tomorrow?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm Gary, shall we get some spelt wheat buns and have them with butter and honey for breakfast tomorrow?
I have spoiled and spoilt my post by posting twice and cannot delete it. All men are not equal; some men know how to delete posts.
Last edited by Belinda on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Belinda wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm Gary, shall we get some spelt wheat buns and have them with butter and honey for breakfast tomorrow?
Sounds awesome. If you live near Orlando, Florida I would love to meet you some day. :)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:50 pm
Sounds awesome. If you live near Orlando, Florida I would love to meet you some day. :)

I'd like you but am frightened of the sink holes that I saw on Tv
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Belinda wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:50 pm

I'd like you but am frightened of the sink holes that I saw on Tv
I have never personally witnessed a sink hole swallow up anyone or anything (knock on wood) but a coworker at a past job was apparently in the news a relatively long time ago when she was. Definitely scary stuff. I don't blame you. There are also hurricanes that come through but we're far enough inland that we have some protection. Heat during the summer is unbelievable too compared to Northern Virginia/Metropolitan D.C. area where I grew up. But the other three seasons are relatively mild and pleasant.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Yes, and we all know how easy it is to decipher meaning from 'context' on this site :roll: I suppose 'burned' is more mellifluous than 'burnt', but the two words actually have subtley different meanings. Many English words are like that, which only adds to its depth and beauty.
Ironic that I'm called 'prejudiced' when I complain about its 'dumbing down', because the reason it was 'dumbed down' in the first place was to give a big middle finger to the 'Brits' and their namesake language.

''Noah Webster, Jr. (October 16, 1758 – May 28, 1843) was an American lexicographer, textbook pioneer, English-language spelling reformer, political writer, editor, and prolific author. He has been called the "Father of American Scholarship and Education".

Oh dear.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 pmIf someone calls me an "American", I won't take offense (unless it's preceded by a pejorative adjective or said in accompaniment with unjustified derision). If someone calls me a "yank" then that seems to generally be a reliable sign that they are expressing some sort of disapproval, contempt or condescension.
Verbally it is unusual for me to use "American", which is cumbersome and formal. I almost always use "Yank". It is the equivalent of calling Brits "Poms" or my mob "Aussies". Apparently some Lebanese migrants call us "Skips", which is apparently derogatory (Not sure why. I like kangaroos).

One odd thing I notice is that Yanks (sory Gaz) are MUCH more formal than Aussies, and even more so than Poms! Perhaps Gaz, you are simply a refined and civilised man, and unused to Aussie style rough house banter? :)

I think it's important to move beyond words and focus on context - is the comment friendly or foe-like? Then again, numerous people (not you, Gary) enjoy being offended so it's not a reliable barometer of harm. Taking offence effectively puts one socially on top of the person being judged, which of course is the crux of the response - insecurity and its alleviation, although the stimulation of battle will attract some.

Other times I have the impression that people get offended at conditioned cues as surely as Pavlov's dog's slobber, with context and intent almost entirely ignored. This may relate to youthful mistreatment and PTSD or it may be the result of not ever examining that part of one's life.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 pm If someone calls me a "yank" then that seems to generally be a reliable sign that they are expressing some sort of disapproval, contempt or condescension.
Yes, but I would say usually not with the intention of being offensive. I would usually take it as a signal that the conversation was moving towards the sort of ritualised exchange of mockery you get between British and Americans when they are on friendly terms. And for some people I do not think it would have any connotations at all, being simply taken as what Americans call themselves. But in real life one would be getting all sorts of other clues about the speaker's mood - I would be more hesitant about writing 'Yank' on the internet because it might convey the things you list. So, if somebody (British) calls you a Yank I would suggest the best policy is to suspend judgement, pending some other clues.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Well it is a rather ugly and obnoxious-sounding word.....
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:00 am Well it is a rather ugly and obnoxious-sounding word.....
Does this imply you're ugly and obnoxious since you like to use the word so much?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Greta and Londoner.

Greta, there is rough housing and banter among Americans too. I don't know if it significantly differs in style from what some Australians may engage in or not. I witnessed the phenomenon a lot in college on both ends. It seems to bring up memories of being teased by almost the entire class several times at school in childhood. I was utterly destroyed the first time it happened and from that point forward I started to exhibit various recessive social traits including nervous twitches that only seemed to contribute to the way others treated me. It was a traumatic experience growing up that caused depression and later in life around 25 years of age I developed a thought disorder that was initially classified as schizophrenia. I had no prior family history of the mental illness so it was a bit unprecedented that I developed it.

Rough housing and banter also bring up memory of a large group of kids I witnessed poking fun at a kid with Down syndrome until the poor kid was lashing out in all directions out of frustration. It sort of struck me at the time that the poor kid would probably never in his life experience things like love and intimate affection from others. When rough housing turns into pecking (what I see as a very real phenomenon where the majority effectively act to put down a sick member for eugenic reasons) it brings up memories like that. I've never known intimate affection from a female. I recently dated a girl which, for the first time, developed into intimate affection but she soon flew off looking for greener pastures.

In any case some seem to see rough housing and banter as just another facet of human socialization. I have trouble perceiving it that way. I see much darker and more sinister eugenic urges working underneath.

Londoner, I remember growing up watching John Wayne movies. A recurring theme in those movies was that after all the banter and rough housing was finished (in a bar fight over a minor disagreement for example) everyone bought each other a drink and continued civil relations into the sunset. For the reasons I mention above to Greta, it's hard for me to see things that way. Underneath I perceive more sinister forces and urges at work. I don't know if my perceptions are real or just phantasms from the past but I prefer civil discussion and will probably always do so.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.