Researchers shut down AI that invented its own language

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Researchers shut down AI that invented its own language

Post by Gary Childress »

http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-and- ... cle/498142

This is plenty scary to me. What do others think about this or how do you interpret it? Are we humans just being too paranoid? Or is it better to just not go down the path of creating advanced AI (for any reason)?
Walker

Re: Researchers shut down AI that invented its own language

Post by Walker »

Too late, Pandora.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:26 pm Too late, Pandora.
What do you mean by "too late"? Researchers seem to be broaching some lines in the field of AI but there are still lines that we can refuse to cross, weaponizing autonomous AI, for example.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:28 pm
What do you mean by "too late"? Researchers seem to be broaching some lines in the field of AI but there are still lines that we can refuse to cross, weaponizing autonomous AI, for example.
He means that Pandora's box has been opened unleashing all the evil upon the world with only hope remaining according to the story.

PhilX
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:43 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:28 pm
He means that Pandora's box has been opened unleashing all the evil upon the world with only hope remaining according to the story.

PhilX
OK. Fair enough. I see the point, now.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

At least Artificial Intelligence is intelligent. Surely that alone would make it a better choice as a domineering 'superpower' than the moronic and self-servingly malevolent one we have at the moment.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:58 pm At least Artificial Intelligence is intelligent. Surely that alone would make it a better choice as a domineering 'superpower' than the moronic and self-servingly malevolent one we have at the moment.
Maybe that's the scariest part. Artificial intelligence could maybe exert control more efficiently and completely over us. It could be much more omnipresent, thorough and able to act faster and it might have no compassion whatsoever.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Burning the library at Alexandria may have been an attempt caused by cold feet to close the box.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Some say it's foolish to think evolution has stopped with us. They say our time is done and our silicone children are ready to step up, so we fleshy types ought to just step down and aside. They say we should just eat drano (after gettin' A.I. up and runnin') and be done with it.

Some say it's foolish to think our silicone children will supplant us. They say we fleshy types and them mechanoids will explore the universe together in a kumbaya golden age orgasm. They say we'll 'merge' with the mechanoids and ascend or transcend or some such thing.

Some say A.I. will never come to be, cannot come to be, so everybody should relax.

Me: I say 'Hell no! I won't go!' Kill the Metal Overlords while they're still in the womb.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

metal overlords 37 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcURhfhPJiM

-Imp
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Yes indeed!
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Many years ago, I watched a scientist being interviewed on Public Broadcasting System (PBS) TV. He said that Homo sapiens would eventually become extinct like dinosaurs, that life was proceeding in the direction of solid state electronics. I envisioned this happening throughout the expanding universe, and eventually, when the universe contracted, these life forms would have a convention, communicating with each other with the omniscience of God. It would be the Solid Sate Convention, a religion for the space age.
vegetariantaxidermy

bobevenson wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:03 pm Many years ago, I watched a scientist being interviewed on Public Broadcasting System (PBS) TV. He said that Homo sapiens would eventually become extinct like dinosaurs, that life was proceeding in the direction of solid state electronics. I envisioned this happening throughout the expanding universe, and eventually, when the universe contracted, these life forms would have a convention, communicating with each other with the omniscience of God. It would be the Solid Sate Convention, a religion for the space age.
Not all dinosaurs became extinct. They evolved into birds.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

All life forms evolved from a common ancestor.
vegetariantaxidermy

bobevenson wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:50 pm All life forms evolved from a common ancestor.
And?