Workplace fallacy.

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Workplace fallacy.

Post by Harbal »

If I walk into the warehouse where I work wearing a bright yellow high visibility vest nobody appears to notice me, everyone just goes about their business as if I'm not there. On the few occasions when I have forgotten to put on the vest before going into the warehouse someone has pounced on me the instant my foot entered the building and roasted me for not wearing it.

Conclusion: The health and safety people have got it wrong, you are far more noticeable without the safety wear.
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Workplace fallacy.

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:12 pm If I walk into the warehouse where I work wearing a bright yellow high visibility vest nobody appears to notice me, everyone just goes about their business as if I'm not there. On the few occasions when I have forgotten to put on the vest before going into the warehouse someone has pounced on me the instant my foot entered the building and roasted me for not wearing it.

Conclusion: The health and safety people have got it wrong, you are far more noticeable without the safety wear.
Nobody ran into you with a forklift when you wore the vest? How fortunate.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

'Health and Safety' get it wrong most of the time. What do you expect from idiot pen-pushers who don't have a clue about practicalities? Why the fuck does everything have to 'beep' every time it moves an inch? Is it for all the blind and deaf construction workers? Those 'cherry-picker' vehicles are a case in point. They 'beep beep beep' every time they go up or down. Is this a warning to any passing birds who might get bumped from underneath?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 pm
A forklift did once run over my foot. Luckily, I was wearing steel toe capped boots at the time, unluckily, I also happened to be tying my laces when it happened.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:08 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 pm
A forklift did once run over my foot. Luckily, I was wearing steel toe capped boots at the time, unluckily, I also happened to be tying my laces when it happened.
So that's what those boots are for. :)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:57 pm They 'beep beep beep' every time they go up or down. Is this a warning to any passing birds who might get bumped from underneath?
I suppose the warning could be useful to potential suicidees (I don't know if that's a proper word). Just imagine the ignominy and embarrassment of leaping from a tall building only to find yourself completely unhurt and lying on the floor of the cradle of a cherry picker with a startled window cleaner staring down at you.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:25 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:57 pm They 'beep beep beep' every time they go up or down. Is this a warning to any passing birds who might get bumped from underneath?
I suppose the warning could be useful to potential suicidees (I don't know if that's a proper word). Just imagine the ignominy and embarrassment of leaping from a tall building only to find yourself completely unhurt and lying on the floor of the cradle of a cherry picker with a startled window cleaner staring down at you.
:lol: Well that's about the only point to it I can think of, apart from avian conservation.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:08 pmA forklift did once run over my foot. Luckily, I was wearing steel toe capped boots at the time, unluckily, I also happened to be tying my laces when it happened.
Sir, I salute you. That, in my book, qualifies as a very good joke. (To be honest, the only criterion I apply is how much it made me laugh.)