Noam Chomsky Versus Free Speech

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

Re: Noam Chomsky Versus Free Speech

Post by Skip »

None of this is remotely relevant to freedom of speech.
But, so what?
Why waste an opportunity to rant, or call people fascist?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:58 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:20 amWhy do you ask if we are all a hopeless species? Do you really think I'm saying that there's no such thing as people who are genuine and compassionate? How the hell did you come to that conclusion?
What makes you think EVEYRONE who is into PC is NOT genuine or compassionate? I mean people are standing up for good things, what more do you want people to do? What do you do to stand up for the disadvantaged and against militarism that others aren't also doing?
That's the nature of PC. It's disingenuous by definition. Did I say everyone who fights for good causes is PC ?(although I haven't seen a lot of that going on for a long time. Must have gone out of fashion) FFS. If you didn't even understand Stephen Pinker, who is probably the most accessible speaker around, then what's the point in asking me???
The suffragettes were not PC. The dipshit who said it was like rape when a man in a lift asked her if she wanted to go for coffee IS PC.
vegetariantaxidermy

Skip wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:19 am None of this is remotely relevant to freedom of speech.
But, so what?
Why waste an opportunity to rant, or call people fascist?
:lol: It's quite obvious you are PC. You have a vested interest in feigning cluelessness. You aren't that stupid. Anyone with half a brain who isn't PC would know exactly what I'm talking about.

'Throughout several US councils and organisations, any terms using the word 'man' as a prefix or suffix have been ruled as not being politically correct. 'Manhole' is now referred to as a 'utility' or 'maintenance' hole.
A school in Seattle renamed its Easter eggs 'spring spheres' to avoid causing offence to people who did not celebrate Easter.
Some US schools now have a 'holiday tree' at Christmas, rather than a Christmas tree.
And of course there is the nauseating 'happy holidays'.
Skip

Post by Skip »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:04 am
'Throughout several US councils and organisations, any terms using the word 'man' as a prefix or suffix have been ruled as not being politically correct. 'Manhole' is now referred to as a 'utility' or 'maintenance' hole.
A school in Seattle renamed its Easter eggs 'spring spheres' to avoid causing offence to people who did not celebrate Easter.
Some US schools now have a 'holiday tree' at Christmas, rather than a Christmas tree.
And their exercising their constitutional right to say these things offends you.
I understand; therefore I must have half a brain.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:51 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:58 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:20 amWhy do you ask if we are all a hopeless species? Do you really think I'm saying that there's no such thing as people who are genuine and compassionate? How the hell did you come to that conclusion?
What makes you think EVEYRONE who is into PC is NOT genuine or compassionate? I mean people are standing up for good things, what more do you want people to do? What do you do to stand up for the disadvantaged and against militarism that others aren't also doing?
That's the nature of PC. It's disingenuous by definition. Did I say everyone who fights for good causes is PC ?(although I haven't seen a lot of that going on for a long time. Must have gone out of fashion) FFS. If you didn't even understand Stephen Pinker, who is probably the most accessible speaker around, then what's the point in asking me???
The suffragettes were not PC. The dipshit who said it was like rape when a man in a lift asked her if she wanted to go for coffee IS PC.
So, in others words, EVERYONE who is "PC" and fights for good causes is not genuine or compassionate about the causes they are fighting for. ONLY people who are NOT PC and fight for good causes are genuine and compassionate.

It sounds like you are defining PC as only extreme cases of, and not more generally ""the avoidance, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against." Going with your definition of "PC", then, I am in agreement with you that PC is a bad thing.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

politically correct censorship is double plus good...

-Imp
vegetariantaxidermy

Skip wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:17 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:04 am
And their exercising their constitutional right to say these things offends you.
I understand; therefore I must have half a brain.
Is that supposed to mean anything?
The weapon of choice of the PC reign of terror is the fact that most people want to be thought of as 'nice people with good hearts'. That's important socially. When they are constantly bombarded with messages that certain words, phrases and even thoughts make them into BAD people then that is a very powerful thing. Humans are idea-absorbing organisms. The PC position is, 'These particular words are bad. This is how you must speak and think. We know this because we are the only truly good people in the world. Be like us and there will be nothing but peace and love on earth'.
The reality being that the PC are no more 'good' than anyone else. The only thing they excel at more than the average person is being gigantic hypocrites. PC motto. 'Do and say as WE tell you to do and say, not as WE do and say (in private)'.
Skip

Post by Skip »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:52 pm Is that supposed to mean anything?
The weapon of choice of the PC reign of terror is the fact that most people want to be thought of as 'nice people with good hearts'. That's important socially. When they are constantly bombarded with messages that certain words, phrases and even thoughts make them into BAD people then that is a very powerful thing. Humans are idea-absorbing organisms. The PC position is, 'These particular words are bad. This is how you must speak and think. We know this because we are the only truly good people in the world. Be like us and there will be nothing but peace and love on earth'.
The reality being that the PC are no more 'good' than anyone else. The only thing they excel at more than the average person is being gigantic hypocrites. PC motto. 'Do and say as WE tell you to do and say, not as WE do and say (in private)'.
"I think you're not a nice person" = reign of terror
The PC position is, 'These particular words are bad.'
And this is a position they ought not to hold, because the opposing position is "I don't give a damn what you think! I'll say what I want."
That sound more like two different opinions than terror... that is, assuming it's someone's actual position, not just your interpretation.
This is how you must speak and think. We know this because we are the only truly good people in the world. Be like us and there will be nothing but peace and love on earth'.
Show me where anyone with political authority has said this, or made it into a law, or enforced it.
See, you can't rain much terror without the 'reigning' part. Present US administration is unlikely to step aside and let the PC gestapo start arresting people for bad words.
The reality being that the PC are no more 'good' than anyone else. The only thing they excel at more than the average person is being gigantic hypocrites.
This, too, is an opinion anyone may freely express, anywhere they like. As you just did - yet again! - and I'm still hearing no jackboots.
'Do and say as WE tell you to do and say, not as WE do and say
That's on a flag, or crest or engraved someplace prominent... or just another opinion?
(in private)
Now, if the above is accurate information, acquiring it was probably illegal.
This is the only thing you've ever said here, that I'm aware, which might actually carry a penalty.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of your right to express criticism of their right to express criticism of someone's speech.

Here is a second opinion: You're throwing hissy-fits over nothing at all.
vegetariantaxidermy

Why do many of the posters on here think it's terribly intellectual to 'talk' in riddles? It's usually when they have no argument that they resort to it. eg Walker. Now skip no less. :roll:
Skip

Post by Skip »

Riddles?
You don't need to guess.
Everything you said on this subject has been inflated, over-dramatized hyperbole, with very little recourse to facts.
You expressed the opinion that being told that you're not nice if you hurt people's feelings, is the same as being terrorized by fascists.
You either said or suggested that people who feel offended or oppressed or hurt by bad language directed at them ought to "suck it up" - or similar; I didn't bother going back to check.
I say: You are not a nice person. That's my sincere opinion, freely expressed under the Bill of Rights.

You can now sue me, get upset, suck it up, or melt into a smoking puddle like the wicked witch.
I sincerely don't care which option you choose.
vegetariantaxidermy

Skip wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:34 am Riddles?
You don't need to guess.
Everything you said on this subject has been inflated, over-dramatized hyperbole, with very little recourse to facts.
You expressed the opinion that being told that you're not nice if you hurt people's feelings, is the same as being terrorized by fascists.
You either said or suggested that people who feel offended or oppressed or hurt by bad language directed at them ought to "suck it up" - or similar; I didn't bother going back to check.
I say: You are not a nice person. That's my sincere opinion, freely expressed under the Bill of Rights.

You can now sue me, get upset, suck it up, or melt into a smoking puddle like the wicked witch.
I sincerely don't care which option you choose.
You're a fine one to talk about 'hyperbole'. The PC are champions at it. And as for speaking for others :lol: That's their stock in trade. They spend all their time being 'offended' on behalf of their pet groups. Have you ever asked any of these people if they are ACTUALLY offended? I've often heard the PC make the claim that something is 'offensive to women'. Excuse me? I'm not offended at all. Why are these cretins speaking for me?

Of course you would 'think' I'm 'not a nice person'. How could I compete with the morally perfect Politically Correct? The ones who we must all obey or suffer the consequences? They know what is best for us all.
Does it really seem to you that I care if anyone on here thinks I'm 'nice' or not?
vegetariantaxidermy

Skip wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:13 am
(in private)
Now, if the above is accurate information, acquiring it was probably illegal.
This is the only thing you've ever said here, that I'm aware, which might actually carry a penalty.

Do you think I don't know people like you? A few are very close to me so I know exactly how they talk in private, and how it bares little resemblance to their public persona.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:21 am Why do many of the posters on here think it's terribly intellectual to 'talk' in riddles? It's usually when they have no argument that they resort to it.
I agree, Veggie. A surprising number of people seem to be throwing some words together and acting like it means something so profound and true that other mere mortals can't understand nor question it. And/or it's just too clever and/or supremely spiritual. Uh no, it's NONE of those things. And when people reasonably challenge such half-cocked declarations, the intoxicated bullshitters either ignore the challenge or babble some more. How honorable is that? I keep wondering if people are that dishonorable or that blind?
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:21 am Why do many of the posters on here think it's terribly intellectual to 'talk' in riddles? It's usually when they have no argument that they resort to it. eg Walker. Now skip no less. :roll:
What riddle? Where did we come from, where are we going, and why are we here? That one? Would you prefer that every sentence be phrased as a question?

:lol: