Noam Chomsky Versus Free Speech

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Noam Chomsky Versus Free Speech

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 pm It takes a certain amount of intelligence to understand the depth and irony of the term 'Political Correctness', so I'm not surprised you sad American idiots are having such a hard time grasping it. It's also not surprising that the ones misusing the term the most are the American ultra right, which of course plays right into the hands of the PC lobby. I'm surprised anyone over there even knows whether shoes go on before or after socks. Perhaps that's how the 'sockless' fad started.
I'm sorry for you. That's about all I can say at this point.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Odd that comedians slip under the radar of the PC thought/word police. Could it be that even the PC know where to draw the line, and have a code of etiquette? Or could it be that they a simply stupid cowards who don't know how, (and don't dare), to tackle someone who makes millions happy? I imagine they would be terribly confused by comedians, especially when they are laughing along with everyone else (hypocrites to the core).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXDHjwaUtPI
Skip

Post by Skip »

Seinfeld doesn't look any the worse for his tarring and feathering.
Or, wait - maybe nothing at all was done to him! Maybe somebody just didn't like something he said.
And that's never happened to a comic before....?
vegetariantaxidermy

'We believe in free speech as long as you don't say anything WE don't like' (in public anyway). 'WE' being those who are without vice and are pure of thought and word.
Hmm. That sort of applies to any fascist regime.
Of course, I don't expect you to understand what any of this means. I realise that everyone would be pushing cripples out of their wheelchairs and using the word 'dwarf' willy nilly without the morally pure like skip and gary to keep everyone else in line.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

There was a case about a year or so ago where a number of American Indian actors walked off the set of an Adam Sandler movie production because they were indignant at whatever fun Sandler was poking at their culture through the movie, or something along those lines. I'm not so sure comedians are immune from being taken to task on matters having to do with offensive content.
vegetariantaxidermy

But he's not even remotely funny. And PC is about being 'offended' 'on behalf' of select groups, so your example is predictably clueless.
As an aside, I have noticed that many of the worst offenders on the PC front are those who call Israel an 'apartheid state' that is 'committing genocide', yet they don't seem to care very much that the US is hell-bent on blowing up as many muslims as it can, in their own countries.
Of course it all depends on whatever 'cause' is trendy victim-of-the-month at any given time. It's always about appearances and never about any sort of genuine empathy or compassion.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:31 am But he's not even remotely funny. And PC is about being 'offended' 'on behalf' of select groups, so your example is predictably clueless.
As an aside, I have noticed that many of the worst offenders on the PC front are those who call Israel an 'apartheid state' that is 'committing genocide', yet they don't seem to care very much that the US is hell-bent on blowing up as many muslims as it can, in their own countries.
Of course it all depends on whatever 'cause' is trendy victim-of-the-month at any given time. It's always about appearances and never about any sort of genuine empathy or compassion.
Again, it might be helpful to define what is meant by "PC". In the US the "conservative" right has been decrying those who stand up for minorities such as Muslims and protesting militarism as being the "PC police". I sort of wonder if you are familiar with what is going on over here in terms of "PC" and why. Most of your talking points about PC sound like they're coming from the right's vocabulary.
vegetariantaxidermy

sigh... Which is exactly why I mentioned the American 'conservatives' in a previous post. :roll:
American moronicy really is fucking up the planet for everyone.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:37 am sigh... Which is exactly why I mentioned the American 'conservatives' in a previous post. :roll:
American moronicy really is fucking up the planet for everyone.
I thought you were indicating that American "PC" was screwing things up, which is why I was asking for a definition of what you meant by PC. Because I thought you were against militarism and discrimination, things which those accused of believing in "PC" are against. So I was wondering why you seemed to be complaining about "PC".
vegetariantaxidermy

The PC aren't necessarily against militarism. Or discrimination for that matter. It depends on whatever 'cause' fashionable at any given time.
Skip

Post by Skip »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:23 am 'We believe in free speech as long as you don't say anything WE don't like' (in public anyway). 'WE' being those who are without vice and are pure of thought and word.
Hmm. That sort of applies to any fascist regime.
Yet again: What was done to the offending party? Was he thrown in jail? Was he tortured? Was he barred from ever performing again? Made unemployable?
No, he went on another show and made fun of the criticism; got more free mileage out of the same lame joke.
That doesn't seem all that fascistic to me.
Of course, I don't expect you to understand what any of this means.
It means that the offended have the exact same right to criticize it as the as the offensive have to say it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:39 am The PC aren't necessarily against militarism. Or discrimination for that matter. It depends on whatever 'cause' fashionable at any given time.
Interesting. So if those protesting against militarism or discrimination aren't "truly" against such things, then is anyone against such things? Or are we all just a hopeless, malicious species or something?
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:39 am The PC aren't necessarily against militarism. Or discrimination for that matter. It depends on whatever 'cause' fashionable at any given time.
Interesting. So if those protesting against militarism or discrimination aren't "truly" against such things, then is anyone against such things? Or are we all just a hopeless, malicious species or something?
'Protesting about discrimination' is about as meaningless as 'war on terror'. Do you see all those people who were crying over Trump's muslim comments having huge anti-war demonstrations? I don't. Why do they love Hillary, the rabid, psychopathic warmonger so much? Did any of them complain about her comment that dead Syrian children are 'collateral damage' or when she was joking and laughing hysterically over Gadaffi's very public torture and death? I bet they were sniggering along with her.
Why do you ask if we are all a hopeless species? Do you really think I'm saying that there's no such thing as people who are genuine and compassionate? How the hell did you come to that conclusion? The POINT I'm making is that the PC are neither genuine nor compassionate!
Here's a good example. Expect fallout from the nuclear PC bomb that's about to explode because Trump just banned 'transgenders' from the MILITARY.
This is a disgrace. Transgender persons have just as much right to blow foreigners up as anyone else!
Americans are such a waste of good irony.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:20 amWhy did they love Hillary, the rabid, psychopathic warmonger so much?
People are not a homogenous group. Not everyone on the so called "left" voted for Clinton. And many who did (like me) did so because we were even more terrified about Trump getting into office and didn't have the faith that a third party candidate could beat Trump. Many on the left were voting in terms of "anything but Trump". So we did our best to vote against Trump. Apparently we were wrong and should have just voted for a third party candidate anyway but even Noam Chomsky was saying that voting for Clinton in states with tight races was better than voting for a third party candidate because he believed Trump was even worse. So I followed Chomsky's advice.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:20 amWhy do you ask if we are all a hopeless species? Do you really think I'm saying that there's no such thing as people who are genuine and compassionate? How the hell did you come to that conclusion?
What makes you think EVEYRONE who is into PC is NOT genuine or compassionate? I mean people are standing up for good things, what more do you want people to do? What do you do to stand up for the disadvantaged and against militarism that others aren't also doing?