Noam Chomsky Versus Free Speech

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Science Fan

Noam Chomsky Versus Free Speech

Post by Science Fan »

On their TV series Bullshit!, Penn and Teller, two libertarian magicians, comedians, once discussed the topic of speech bans on college campuses. The video can probably be watched for free on You Tube. On this specific topic of politically-correct speech codes that ban free-speech on college campuses, they interviewed Noam Chomsky. This is the same Noam Chomsky who signed a petition that specifically stated the Holocaust was a hoax, and Chomsky defended his action by claiming it was in support of freedom of speech. So, one would think that if Chomsky supports deniers' rights to free speech that he would also support free speech in general on college campuses, and be against politically correct speech codes. One would be wrong in thinking this. Chomsky specifically defended the speech bans on college campuses by claiming that the college campuses were a student's home and just as one can not speak freely in another person's home, one should not be allowed to speak freely on a college campus.

Chomsky's argument is entirely disingenuous. While a student may be able to ban free-speech within his own private dorm room, the larger college campus is not the student's home.

If free speech cannot be allowed on a college campus, then what will become of a college education? It seems to me that one of the most important places to preserve free speech is on a college campus. I realize that many people here have gone out of their way to hold up Chomsky as some intellectual beacon we should bow down to, but, the reality is that he's not admirable.

It's a real shame that Noam Chomsky is such a favorite of so many people. The fact he is in support of banning freedom of speech in favor of political correctness makes him an anti-intellectual in my opinion. Calling Noam Chomsky a public intellectual is a perfect example of an Emperor who has no clothes.
Harbal

Re: Noam Chomsky Versus Free Speech

Post by Harbal »

Science Fan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:28 pm Chomsky specifically defended the speech bans on college campuses by claiming that the college campuses were a student's home and just as one can not speak freely in another person's home, one should not be allowed to speak freely on a college campus.
When he said this wasn't he just exercising his right to free speech? Surely Noam Chomsky is as entitled as anyone else to voice his opinion, don't you believe in free speech? Are you one of those people that would only grant free speech to those whose opinions coincide with yours?
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

And here is Harbal once again completely missing the obvious. Chomsky is against freedom of speech. I support freedom of speech. I never once stated that Chomsky did not have the right to present his fascist views, did I? So, when Harbal comes here and starts an argument with me where he claims that I am trying to silence Chomsky, that's a complete non-starter.

The point that Harbal, as a politically-correct lefty, completely overlooks is that Chomsky can hardly be identified as a real intellectual when he is against free speech on college campuses. That's anti-intellectualism if anything is. Of course, Chomsky has a long history of supporting those who deny freedom of speech. He has lent his support for one totalitarian regime after another.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The only person who seems to be calling him an 'intellectual' is you. Personally I don't think it's much of a compliment anyway.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Science Fan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 pm And here is Harbal once again completely missing the obvious.
I like to call it thinking outside the box. 8)
I never once stated that Chomsky did not have the right to present his fascist views,
I must have missed the bit where it was established that he has fascist views.
when Harbal comes here and starts an argument with me where he claims that I am trying to silence Chomsky, that's a complete non-starter.
If the argument is a "non-starter" then, obviously, I couldn't have started it.
The point that Harbal, as a politically-correct lefty,
I think you may have jumped to a hasty conclusion here. :D
Chomsky has a long history of supporting those who deny freedom of speech. He has lent his support for one totalitarian regime after another.
Well if you don't like him then he at least has that in his favour.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

Nope, Veggie. In fact, you've been singing his praises on this very forum. Chomsky is a politically-correct lefty, just like you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Science Fan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:05 pm Chomsky is a politically-correct lefty, just like you.
There are a lot of us about. :D
vegetariantaxidermy

'Singing his praises' :lol: You never change.
University campuses are one of the most important places where free speech should be, if not the most. If he actually said that then he's an idiot in that respect.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

So, Veggie claims I am the only one referring to Chomsky as an intellectual. That's a rather bizarre claim, since other people have posted comments on this forum specifically about Chomsky, using him as some sort of intellectual authority. Veggie even came out endorsing Chomsky in a post that referenced a debate between Sam Harris and Noam Chomsky. Veggie's endorsement of Chomsky was that since fascists hate him, he must be a good lad. As if Sam Harris can be written off as a right-wing fascist.

Veggie and reality don't seem to mix well.
vegetariantaxidermy

Please post the link to all of that. I must have Alzheimer's because none of it rings any bells.
Has someone else on here called him an 'intellectual'? You seem to think I study him. I had to google him to learn that he's anti war. About the only thing I knew about him was that people who don't like Israel seem to love him. You are the one who appears to be obsessed with the man.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Science Fan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 pm As if Sam Harris can be written off as a right-wing fascist.
Are you kidding!? Sam Harris is the biggest Nazi since Hitler.
vegetariantaxidermy

I can't find anywhere that Chomsky says campuses shouldn't have free speech. Could you post the quote (or is that beneath your omnicienceness?).
Looked up that petition. He didn't sign a petition stating the Holocaust was a hoax. He signed a petition that said the denier had a right to say it under freedom of speech. Is that what you are referring to? I wouldn't have signed it because the beginning of the petition makes statements about the man's 'extensive historical research' which couldn't be true. There is no way that genuine historical research could come up with anything other than what actually happened. See how important it is to be truthful? To be honest Chomsky doesn't particularly resonate with me. I get the feeling he's as agenda-driven as you are, and that's certainly not because of any of your biased assertions. There are a couple of philosophers I like but mostly I prefer scientific thinkers.
Btw. I'm not surprised you are in love with Penn Jillette. I suppose he's the perfect male in your eyes.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Teller discussing free speech... ironic...

-Imp
vegetariantaxidermy

Impenitent wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:19 am Teller discussing free speech... ironic...

-Imp
Haha. Yes. I wondered how they managed that one.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Science Fan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:28 pm If free speech cannot be allowed on a college campus, then what will become of a college education?
Too late, it's already happened. College today is a complete farce.