There's something fishy about this

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

There's something fishy about this

Post by Gary Childress »

To be perfectly honest, after reading the article below, I wish my country would just pull our military out of Syria, South Korea and Europe. Few seem to want us in those places. Even our own allies are turning against us. to hell with them. We should mind our own business and go back to isolationism.

Let North Korea have at South Korea, let the Russians have Syria and let the Germans have their 4th Reich.

And maybe Noam Chomsky should pack and go live in the Middle East where he can be around his beloved Arabs. Since ours is such a horrible country, I don't know how he stands it here. I feel badly for him.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... media.html

[/rant]
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: There's something fishy about this

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

He is American so he has every right to be there. Do you have to hate Arabs to be allowed to stay? He criticises America's foreign meddling as any intelligent person would. I don't know a heck of a lot about him but to say he shouldn't be allowed to stay in his own country is illogical and absurd.
Imagine what humans could have achieved if all those quintillions the US has spent on ways to kill other humans had been spent on positive things. I doubt if the chance will ever come again, especially not if they manage to annihilate all of us.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:10 am Let North Korea have at South Korea, let the Russians have Syria and let the Germans have their 4th Reich.
Check out a satellite image of South Korea taken on the night side.

To say it in six: A purge precedes darkness swallowing light.
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:10 am To be perfectly honest, after reading the article below, I wish my country would just pull our military out of Syria, South Korea and Europe. Few seem to want us in those places. Even our own allies are turning against us. to hell with them. We should mind our own business and go back to isolationism.

Let North Korea have at South Korea, let the Russians have Syria and let the Germans have their 4th Reich.

And maybe Noam Chomsky should pack and go live in the Middle East where he can be around his beloved Arabs. Since ours is such a horrible country, I don't know how he stands it here. I feel badly for him.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... media.html

[/rant]
Is that how you see your country? The saviour of ungrateful foreigners?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:09 am He is American so he has every right to be there. Do you have to hate Arabs to be allowed to stay? He criticises America's foreign meddling as any intelligent person would. I don't know a heck of a lot about him but to say he shouldn't be allowed to stay in his own country is illogical and absurd.
Imagine what humans could have achieved if all those trillions the US has spent on ways to kill other humans had been spent on positive things. I doubt if the chance will ever come again, especially not if they manage to annihilate all of us.
Fair enough. I admit my post was an over reaction to the article I saw yesterday when I posted about it. I'm tired of my country sticking its nose in everyone else's business. There doesn't seem to be any defensible reason for doing so. It's not like we wouldn't be able to trade with other countries if we didn't stick our guns in everyone else's business. I just don't know why we are doing this. What is the purpose?
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:09 am He is American so he has every right to be there. Do you have to hate Arabs to be allowed to stay? He criticises America's foreign meddling as any intelligent person would. I don't know a heck of a lot about him but to say he shouldn't be allowed to stay in his own country is illogical and absurd.
Imagine what humans could have achieved if all those trillions the US has spent on ways to kill other humans had been spent on positive things. I doubt if the chance will ever come again, especially not if they manage to annihilate all of us.
Fair enough. I admit my post was an over reaction to the article I saw yesterday when I posted about it. I'm tired of my country sticking its nose in everyone else's business. There doesn't seem to be any defensible reason for doing so. It's not like we wouldn't be able to trade with other countries if we didn't stick our guns in everyone else's business. I just don't know why we are doing this. What is the purpose?
Money. What else? There's a lot of money in war. Arms manufacturers kept WW1 going for as long as possible because it was so profitable to them (not difficult when you have friends in high places).
Hmm. ISIS has all the latest weapons and vehicles (and a seemingly endless supply of them). I wonder where they are getting them from.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

What's fishy is why anyone in their right mind would get their information from a science-denying, white-supremacist, conspiracy site, which is what the American Thinker is.

From rational wiki, just to give a basic idea of what this site is about:

"American Thinker (affectionately nicknamed "American Stinker" by its fans) is an online wingnut publication that's more or less the poor man's WND or Newsmax. They've published articles by such conservative luminaries as Noel Sheppard (NewsBusters) and Pamela Geller and such climate "experts" as S. Fred Singer and Christopher Monckton, as well as an interview with (and hagiography of) white nationalist Jared Taylor.[2]

The magazine, of course, is chock-full of right-wing conspiracy theories, woo, and pseudoscience. On the conspiracy side, they promote birtherism, "creeping sharia," red-baiting, and still occasionally prattle on about Vince Foster. On the science side, they concentrate on creationism and global warming denialism."

Rather ironic too since this site promotes Donald Trump, and Trump is the one going after North Korea.

While I agree with the conclusion that the US should spend its money on its own people and stop financing foreign countries by providing them military bases, and we should not be involved in foreign wars, like in Yemen, I would never take anything in the American Thinker site seriously.
vegetariantaxidermy

Are people supposed to be grateful for those obnoxious military bases. I see that even NZ has one, probably to protect it from an invasion by Communist penguins.

From Gary's article:
'' the rogue regime (North Korea) on the threshold of the capability to attack New York, Los Angeles, and our power grid with nuclear missiles. This is an incident that could affect the outcome of a nuclear confrontation of historic moment.''

And people lap up this kind of shit. So the guy with the weird haircut is the new designated bogey-man to keep American paranoia nicely just above simmer.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

Someone is confusing the mentally-deranged people in Washington, D.C., with the average American walking the streets of the USA. The average American does not want to be involved in any foreign wars, does not want America spending money on foreign bases, as opposed to taking care of our own at home, and does not spend much time thinking about North Korea. Trump does care about such things, however, as well as the politicians who profit from handing out large military contracts including contracts with private mercenaries. Outside the religious right, the bombs and Jesus crowd, every American I know wants military spending reduced, foreign bases shut down, and no more foreign wars. Many people who ran for president in 2016 actually campaigned on such platforms, from the Green's Jill Stein, probably the smartest person who ran for president in 2016, to Bernie Sanders, and even, Donald Trump. Trump campaigned on shutting down such operations, only to expand our military engagements with foreign nations once he got elected. On the campaign trail, Trump ridiculed the idea of bombing in Syria, only to do just that. This is a perfect example of the politicians ignoring what the average person in the USA wants to see happen, and is one reason for the rising anger in the USA. People are sick and tired of lying politicians and politicians who keep wasting money on war and weapons while the average American has trouble getting by.
vegetariantaxidermy

There doesn't appear to be much in the way of protests about it, and look at the way anyone in the military is worshipped. The national mind-set is pro-war and pro-military. I'm sure there are those who are not, but I doubt if many of them would dare to say it out loud. I suppose the gun obsession is just an illusion too.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

Veg: For a bigot who spends 24/7 on social media writing about the USA, you know very little about the USA. There have been protests, and Trump's own fan base went ballistic on him after he launched a strike against Syria. You have zero clue what most Americans believe, how they live their lives day to day, and you are simply in a made-up bubble world. There are outrages occurring in Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, and other nations across the globe, yet, you are silent on each one of these nations and spend all your time fixated on the USA? Has any American really taken you seriously? I doubt it.

No country is perfect. But obsessing over one nation is a sign of some absurd thinking going on.
vegetariantaxidermy

It seems to me that it's you who knows little about your own country. It's generally a lot easier to see something from the outside than in, especially when Americans are brought up with the idea that the US is the 'greatest' country on the planet, in every way imaginable. The US leaves itself wide open by setting itself up as the police and moral standard-bearer of the planet. I don't see any other country doing that. Remember ''If you aren't with us you are against us''? The US is the most powerful and more 'in your face' and visible than any other country by a mile. I don't see Russia sending its leaders here to ask for participation in its brutality, probably with thinly-veiled threats of trade sanctions.
Do you really think my criticism is going to make one iota of difference to a country of warmongers? You have several billion credulous drones on your side. Why would you care what I say?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Science Fan wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:38 pm People are sick and tired of lying politicians and politicians who keep wasting money on war and weapons while the average American has trouble getting by.
If they're wasting money on war and weapons, then how is war profiteering?

You must have meant wasting lives.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

There are three basic concepts in economics you have overlooked: scarcity, opportunity cost, and efficiency. When we spend money on the military, when our military is already more than large enough to defend us, then those same resources cannot be used for other things --- like creating engineering jobs, discovering medical cures, sending kids to college, etc. The fact that someone gains from the excessive military spending does not refute the economics of the spending being a waste.