How much does politics affect your personal life?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

How much does politics affect your personal life?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I really don't follow politics closely as it doesn't affect me.

How about you? If you're affected, how?

PhilX
Science Fan

Re: How much does politics affect your personal life?

Post by Science Fan »

Politics greatly affects you, even if you don't follow politics personally.
Philosophy Explorer

Science Fan wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:35 pm Politics greatly affects you, even if you don't follow politics personally.
How does it affect me directly?

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

When the government tells you what you cannot buy on Sunday, that directly affects your personal life.
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:26 pm When the government tells you what you cannot buy on Sunday, that directly affects your personal life.
The government doesn't tell me what I can't buy on Sundays. I only interact with the stores and how do you know what goes on in my state?

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Please, the government tells you what you can buy, where you can buy it, and when you can buy it. Are you a cave dweller?
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:50 pm Please, the government tells you what you can buy, where you can buy it, and when you can buy it. Are you a cave dweller?
No the government doesn't and you can't prove otherwise.
Also you can't give me specific names of government officials who tell me what I can and can't buy, where I can or can't buy the item nor when I can or can't buy it so stop polluting my thread with your nonsense and lies.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

I don't know where you live, but in most places in the USA, there are laws that say where liquor can be sold and when it can be sold.
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:18 pm I don't know where you live, but in most places in the USA, there are laws that say where liquor can be sold and when it can be sold.
And this is what you base your saying the government controls what you buy and when. Please. (btw I don't drink).

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Jesus Christ, you do live in a cave if you can't figure out a million other ways the government affects your personal life, if you do, indeed, have a personal life!
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:01 am Jesus Christ, you do live in a cave if you can't figure out a million other ways the government affects your personal life, if you do, indeed, have a personal life!
Go on. Name a million ways.

PhilX
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

Politics affects virtually all aspects of your life, from the taxes you pay, to the definition of your property rights for any possessions you own, to foreign-trade and regulatory issues that affect the prices you pay for goods and services, etc., etc. It affects your ability to speak and read, as politics can limit or permit you to say certain things, or not. The better question is what aspect of your life is not affected by politics?
Philosophy Explorer

Science Fan wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:42 am Politics affects virtually all aspects of your life, from the taxes you pay, to the definition of your property rights for any possessions you own, to foreign-trade and regulatory issues that affect the prices you pay for goods and services, etc., etc. It affects your ability to speak and read, as politics can limit or permit you to say certain things, or not. The better question is what aspect of your life is not affected by politics?
What % of the population pay taxes nowadays? (I don't) How does politics directly affect your daily life? (besides seeing campaign ads during election time) When you buy or sell a house, how does politics affect the sale? The price you pay for goods and services are set by businesses, not government. The only time your wages are affected by government is the minimum wage which is a small percentage of the population. As far as communications goes, that normally isn't affected by government. You're making mountains out of molehills.

PhilX
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

Most people pay taxes, if they work, as they pay payroll taxes, like FICA. Now, even if you personally don't pay any taxes, which I doubt is the case, because this would mean you never buy gasoline, for one example, the amount of taxes that others pay does affect the size of government and the services it provides. Even if you don't use such services, since the government takes resources that are no longer available in the private sector, it affects what you pay. Not to mention monetary policy definitely affects the prices you pay for goods and services.

If you sell a home, the price is affected by a great deal of politics. The price is affected by the mortgage deduction, as well as political restrictions on home building, as just two examples.
Philosophy Explorer

Science Fan wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:31 am Most people pay taxes, if they work, as they pay payroll taxes, like FICA. Now, even if you personally don't pay any taxes, which I doubt is the case, because this would mean you never buy gasoline, for one example, the amount of taxes that others pay does affect the size of government and the services it provides. Even if you don't use such services, since the government takes resources that are no longer available in the private sector, it affects what you pay. Not to mention monetary policy definitely affects the prices you pay for goods and services.

If you sell a home, the price is affected by a great deal of politics. The price is affected by the mortgage deduction, as well as political restrictions on home building, as just two examples.
It's a curious thing about income tax. The poor don't pay it
as any income they derive isn't touched by the
government for survival reasons. The rich don't pay it due to loopholes such as putting the income outside of the US. The middle class? What middle class?

PhilX