Should Espionage Done in Peacetime Be Punishable by Death?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

Re: Should Espionage Done in Peacetime Be Punishable by Death?

Post by Impenitent »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:02 am
Impenitent wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:45 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/chi ... spartandhp

I sort of wonder if this isn't a ruse on the part of the Chinese government designed to discourage anyone from making further attempts. Maybe in reality they're simply in detention centers or something?

Or should espionage done during peacetime be punishable by death? Thoughts?
yes, when espionage is discovered, politicians and bureaucrats should be executed

-Imp
Why? Isn't that being a little inhumane?
if you crucified them perhaps

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Impenitent wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:25 am
Impenitent wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 pm

yes, when espionage is discovered, politicians and bureaucrats should be executed

-Imp

-Imp
How would you have them put to death? Lethal injection? Electric chair? Would the severity of the actual case of espionage have any role in whether they are put to death or do any and all cases of espionage warrant execution?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:00 pm

-Imp
How would you have them put to death? Lethal injection? Electric chair? Would the severity of the actual case of espionage have any role in whether they are put to death or do any and all cases of espionage warrant execution?
however you wish to purge them is fine... drain the swamp

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Impenitent wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:49 pm

-Imp

-Imp
Under what circumstances should someone guilty of espionage be condemned to death? Any and all?

For example, suppose the perpetrator of espionage was under the belief that the US government was engaging in unjust activity toward another country and was trading secrets to that country because s/he thought the other country deserved to be able to defend itself? If a case could be made that the US were engaging in an unjust manner, would it still be ethical to condemn the person to death? Or would, perhaps, life imprisonment or some lesser sanction be more appropriate?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:25 am

-Imp
Under what circumstances should someone guilty of espionage be condemned to death? Any and all?

For example, suppose the perpetrator of espionage was under the belief that the US government was engaging in unjust activity toward another country and was trading secrets to that country because s/he thought the other country deserved to be able to defend itself? If a case could be made that the US were engaging in an unjust manner, would it still be ethical to condemn the person to death? Or would, perhaps, life imprisonment or some lesser sanction be more appropriate?
execute the spies and the members of the agencies that employ them

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Impenitent wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:13 am

-Imp

-Imp
I'm not clear on how that answers the question: If a case could be made that the US were engaging in an unjust manner, would it still be ethical to condemn the person to death? Or would, perhaps, life imprisonment or some lesser sanction be more appropriate?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

bobevenson wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:16 pm No jail cells or anything like them, only the least oppressive actions to protect the public. Aren't you glad you've got a prophet on board?
Ok, so we'll put them in a special house where they can't commit crimes against the public shall we?
Maybe we'll make sure they stay in the house by locking the doors from the outside.
Perhaps some bars on the windows will assist also?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:25 am

-Imp
I'm not clear on how that answers the question: If a case could be made that the US were engaging in an unjust manner, would it still be ethical to condemn the person to death? Or would, perhaps, life imprisonment or some lesser sanction be more appropriate?
if US spies are captured by a foreign entity and they are executed for their "crimes," we should execute the government officials who sent them there as well... likewise, when we capture domestic spies

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05 ... ttern.html

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Impenitent wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 9:29 pm

-Imp
if US spies are captured by a foreign entity and they are executed for their "crimes," we should execute the government officials who sent them there as well... likewise, when we capture domestic spies

-Imp
I think I see what you are saying but am not %100 sure. Are you saying in effect that ALL spying is evil and no country should engage in it? And that if a country does engage in spying on another, then those responsible for initiating the spying deserve to be executed?

The Fox News article on the NSA spying on Americans is interesting and alarming but I don't see how it ties into the rest of what you posted. Perhaps I am misunderstanding.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 9:48 pm

-Imp
I think I see what you are saying but am not %100 sure. Are you saying in effect that ALL spying is evil and no country should engage in it? And that if a country does engage in spying on another, then those responsible for initiating the spying deserve to be executed?

The Fox News article on the NSA spying on Americans is interesting and alarming but I don't see how it ties into the rest of what you posted. Perhaps I am misunderstanding.
all of it is evil, especially that done by leftists in the name of safety

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Impenitent wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 4:03 pm

-Imp

-Imp
Do some "rightists" not sometimes spy in the name of "safety" also? Why is spying done by "leftists" somehow worse than spying done by "rightists"?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 4:21 pm

-Imp
Do some "rightists" not sometimes spy in the name of "safety" also? Why is spying done by "leftists" somehow worse than spying done by "rightists"?
I never said "rightists" were any better, the difference is that leftists love the government

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Impenitent wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 5:43 pm

-Imp
I never said "rightists" were any better, the difference is that leftists love the government

-Imp
Leftists love government WHEN IT IS JUST. Rightists seem to want to (at least ostensibly) do away with government as much as possible because it often isn't just. I sort of wonder, though, if that isn't throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 6:12 pm
Impenitent wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 5:43 pm

-Imp
Leftists love government WHEN IT IS JUST. Rightists seem to want to (at least ostensibly) do away with government as much as possible because it often isn't just. I sort of wonder, though, if that isn't throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
that's no baby, it's a choice

-Imp