Should there be absolute separation of church and state?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Should there be absolute separation of church and state?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

There are many viewpoints on this. In the Bible, it says that God allowed the Jews to have a king which is curious. In the US, there is separation of church and state which isn't absolute.

I can keep on going, but I'm sure you have your own ideas.

What do you think?

PhilX
bobevenson

Re: Should there be absolute separation of church and state?

Post by bobevenson »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:In the US, there is separation of church and state which isn't absolute.
Why don't you take it up with Thomas Jefferson in your latest fantasy:
"Separation of church and state" is a phrase used by Thomas Jefferson and others expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States which reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."
The phrase "separation of church and state" is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper. Jefferson wrote, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."
-wikipedia
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:In the US, there is separation of church and state which isn't absolute.
Why don't you take it up with Thomas Jefferson in your latest fantasy:
"Separation of church and state" is a phrase used by Thomas Jefferson and others expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States which reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."
The phrase "separation of church and state" is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper. Jefferson wrote, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."
-wikipedia
But what about absolute separation?

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

I believe Thomas Jefferson and the First Amendment covers that point quite well. The day the government establishes the Church of America like that goddamn Church of England (they don't have the first or second amendment, those poor bastards), that will be a horse of a different color!
Last edited by bobevenson on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:I believe Thomas Jefferson and the First Amendment covers that point quite well.
And what about the rest of the world, or don't you care?

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
bobevenson wrote:I believe Thomas Jefferson and the First Amendment covers that point quite well. The day the government establishes the Church of America like that goddamn Church of England (they don't have the first or second amendment, those poor bastards), that will be a horse of a different color!
The rest of the world can go to hell until the AEP takes over!
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:
bobevenson wrote:I believe Thomas Jefferson and the First Amendment covers that point quite well. The day the government establishes the Church of America like that goddamn Church of England (they don't have the first or second amendment, those poor bastards), that will be a horse of a different color!
The rest of the world can go to hell until the AEP takes over!
You heard it here first folks.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Let me know where the U.S. Constitution says anything about the rest of the world.
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:Let me know where the U.S. Constitution says anything about the rest of the world.
Treaties

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

One Nation under god...
In god we trust.
Who the fuck are you guys kidding?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

bobevenson wrote:Let me know where the U.S. Constitution says anything about the rest of the world.
Treaties
Treaties are to get what we want from other countries!
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:One Nation under god...
In god we trust.
Who the fuck are you guys kidding?
That's got nothing to do with churches like your stupid Church of England, you wanker!
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:
Treaties
Treaties are to get what we want from other countries!
"... other countries!"

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

The emphasis is on treaties, getting what we want, not on other countries!
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:The emphasis is on treaties, getting what we want, not on other countries!
Then that would be your focus. Even in that case, other countries is part of your sentence which is then referring to the rest of the world. So duh, that is part of the Constitution by inference.

PhilX