Muslims in the West

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Muslims in the West

Post by Walker »

commonsense wrote:
Harbal wrote:
commonsense wrote:I'd like to return to the topic of Muslims in the West
I don't think you've quite got the hang of how things work round here.
You've hit the nail on the head regarding how things work and my lack of understanding it. Can you give me any tips?
President Obama, former POTUS, in a speech on at least one occasion, pronounced the words Marine Corps, as Marine Corpse.

Like referring to a dead person.

This causes one to wonder, does this intellectual giant hail from the planet earth?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: President Obama, former POTUS, in a speech on at least one occasion, pronounced the words Marine Corps, as Marine Corpse.

This causes one to wonder, does this intellectual giant hail from the planet earth?
Americans mispronounce thousands of words all the time, the instance you refer to seems rather trivial to me.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote:Americans mispronounce thousands of words all the time, the instance you refer to seems rather trivial to me.
Well, we do assume that he is a human being from the planet earth and not a parrot or a robot, and as such, is aware of implications and their relative importance, as meaning.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Well, we do assume that he is a human being from the planet earth and not a parrot or a robot, and as such, is aware of implications and their relative importance, as meaning.
No offence, Walker, but I find Obama's language easier to understand than yours.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote:
Walker wrote: Well, we do assume that he is a human being from the planet earth and not a parrot or a robot, and as such, is aware of implications and their relative importance, as meaning.
No offence, Walker, but I find Obama's language easier to understand than yours.
I take none. I think you have a good heart.

Then you're going to do what you must, and there are several possibilities as to what you will do. History does indicate possibilities:

- Write something intelligent, funny, whiny, or insightful.
- Draw a picture.
- Shaddup.

:lol:

Funny thing is, I just scribbled out an interactive process to help you in your poetry practice. It's more fun than crossword puzzles. Don't ask me where to find it. :roll:

Just jump right in there if you have to, Hoss.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote:
commonsense wrote:
Harbal wrote: I don't think you've quite got the hang of how things work round here.
You've hit the nail on the head regarding how things work and my lack of understanding it. Can you give me any tips?
President Obama, former POTUS, in a speech on at least one occasion, pronounced the words Marine Corps, as Marine Corpse.

Who said he's an 'intellectual giant'??? Actually you are being deliberately mischievous here. He didn't say 'Marine Corpse' he said 'corpsman'. How are you supposed to pronounce it? 'Korman'? I don't think corpsman is even a real word, and if it is I'm sure most Americans would pronounce it the way Obama did.
And by the way, that's not 'miss chee vee iss'.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Walker wrote:
commonsense wrote: You've hit the nail on the head regarding how things work and my lack of understanding it. Can you give me any tips?

Who said he's an 'intellectual giant'??? Actually you are being deliberately mischievous here. He didn't say 'Marine Corpse' he said 'corpsman'. How are you supposed to pronounce it? 'Korman'? I don't think corpsman is even a real word, and if it is I'm sure most Americans would pronounce it the way Obama did.
Just playing to your strengths so you get to play your part. Invalidation rather than exposition is your milieu. The principle and implications remain the same. He’s a dimwit.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote:
Walker wrote: President Obama, former POTUS, in a speech on at least one occasion, pronounced the words Marine Corps, as Marine Corpse.

Just playing to your strengths so you get to play your part. Invalidation rather than exposition is your milieu. The principle and implications remain the same. He’s a dimwit.
'Rebuttal instead of explanation is your environment'. Nope. Still doesn't make any sense. How much 'explanation' do you need for such a triviality? I thought I gave you more than enough.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Who said he's an 'intellectual giant'??? Actually you are being deliberately mischievous here. He didn't say 'Marine Corpse' he said 'corpsman'. How are you supposed to pronounce it? 'Korman'? I don't think corpsman is even a real word, and if it is I'm sure most Americans would pronounce it the way Obama did.
'Rebuttal instead of explanation is your environment'. Nope. Still doesn't make any sense. How much 'explanation' do you need for such a triviality? I thought I gave you more than enough.
Oops. You did ask a question.

- It’s pronounced, “Core-Man.”
- It is not pronounced, “Corpse Man.”

- To call a living member of the military a “Corpse Man,” is to imply that he will soon be dead.

- Given that military service also implies life and death situations, for the commander-in-chief of all American military service members, to reference a living American service-person as a “Corpse,” well, within the propriety found within multi-levels of comprehension, this is inappropriate.

- Many adult human beings from the planet earth understand this without being led by the nose.

- Then there is the matter of pronunciation itself.
- Adult Americans who are not sleepwalking, also know how to pronounce the word. And, they do not even hold the lives of the corpsmen in their hands.

- If anyone did call him an intellectual giant, well they would just be wrong, wouldn’t they.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

corpsman, not corpsmen
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote:
Walker wrote: Just playing to your strengths so you get to play your part. Invalidation rather than exposition is your milieu. The principle and implications remain the same. He’s a dimwit.

- To call a living member of the military a “Corpse Man,” is to imply that he will soon be dead.

- Given that military service also implies life and death situations, for the commander-in-chief of all American military service members, to reference a living American service-person as a “Corpse,” well, within the propriety found within multi-levels of comprehension, this is inappropriate.

- Many adult human beings from the planet earth understand this without being led by the nose.

- Adult Americans who are not sleepwalking, also know how to pronounce the word. And, they do not even hold the lives of the corpsmen in their hands.

- If anyone did call him an intellectual giant, well they would just be wrong, wouldn’t they.
What a fetid maelstrom of confusion.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote:

Is it really possible to assess a man's intelligence merely from the way he pronounces the word "corps"? I don't really have an opinion on Obama but if you want me to dislike him as much as you obviously do I'm going to need a better reason than that.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote:
Walker wrote: Just playing to your strengths so you get to play your part. Invalidation rather than exposition is your milieu. The principle and implications remain the same. He’s a dimwit.

As far as I can tell it's just another made-up Americanism, so who gives a shit how it's pronounced? Actually it's not a bad Freudian slip. Corpse man.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: so who gives a shit how it's pronounced?
Exactly. If it means that much to them they should get rid of the "p" and "s" so no one will use them by mistake.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: so who gives a shit how it's pronounced?
Exactly. If it means that much to them they should get rid of the "p" and "s" so no one will use them by mistake.
I'm sure Americans will greatly appreciate the irony of their complaining about the misproNUNciation of a word. ANY word.
Americans mispronounciate so many words that the language is literally (and I mean literally literally) misfunctionable.