Would you regard most Hispanics (US) as white? black?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Would you regard most Hispanics (US) as white? black?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I'm not sure myself. In the US, there is some concern that the majority of the population will be Hispanic at some point in the future (I have an Italian friend who's married to a Puerto Rican who expressed this concern).

Do you have any thoughts on this?

PhilX
Bill Wiltrack

Re: Would you regard most Hispanics (US) as white? black?

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

There is a word - brown. Google it.

Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

What do you call a child of a white and a brown. And what do you call a a child of a yellow and a black. What about a yellow and a brown, or a yellow and a white?
If they have children with whites, what do you call those kids, ad infinitem

I tend to call them all people, and treat them as such.

The people I really hate is the ones with small feet - that race of people are the worst. Yuk - with their little shoes. They make you sick - why can't they stuff proper sized shoes with cotton wool and wear them like real people?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: I tend to call them all people, and treat them as such.
Yes, I'm often impressed by the way you treat everybody with respect. :D
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote:
That's the PC for you. He said only recently that Jews shouldn't be in Israel because they aren't black. It's all terribly confusing.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: That's the PC for you.
The PC movement may have good intentions but I really think the whole project should be put on hold until they find a way to eradicate human nature. Only then would it have any chance of success but I hope I'm not still around when that happens.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: That's the PC for you.
The PC movement may have good intentions but I really think the whole project should be put on hold until they find a way to eradicate human nature. Only then would it have any chance of success but I hope I'm not still around when that happens.
It depends on what you consider 'good intentions'. If controlling others' words and thoughts is good, along with censoring everything that doesn't fit with their political agenda, then I suppose they have good intentions, in the same way as religion has good intentions.
The scary thing is that it's turning people towards the 'right' which is even more vile. Extremes always create extremes. Neither side has more than two brain cells to rub together. Look at Angela Merkel. She now regrets her open-door immigration policies, and wants to ban the burka.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: It depends on what you consider 'good intentions'. If controlling others' words and thoughts is good, along with censoring everything that doesn't fit with their political agenda, then I suppose they have good intentions, in the same way as religion has good intentions.
Well I assume their intention is that everyone should live in a happy state of harmony, which sounds okay. The trouble is that they are causing more problems than they are solving in there attempt to achieve it. Just to be clear, VT, I hate PC as much as you do.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: It depends on what you consider 'good intentions'. If controlling others' words and thoughts is good, along with censoring everything that doesn't fit with their political agenda, then I suppose they have good intentions, in the same way as religion has good intentions.
Well I assume their intention is that everyone should live in a happy state of harmony, which sounds okay. The trouble is that they are causing more problems than they are solving in there attempt to achieve it. Just to be clear, VT, I hate PC as much as you do.
Don't you hate it when you edit, then the other person answers before you've finished? 8)
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
I think most people want that (I would hope), it's just that they think they know what's best for everyone, and that their standard of 'morality' is the objectively correct one. They aren't genuine, and that's because they are a political movement. Fighting for justice and human rights are the worthiest of pursuits, but the PC are very picky about who they champion and when they do it. They've had very little to say about drones killing muslims (Obama was a big fan of them), but dare to criticise islam or muslims in any way, and you could find yourself slapped with a 'hate-speech' charge. Apparently blowing them up is fine, but criticising their cultural habits isn't. Hillary was a RABID warmonger (even the Russians thought that, and felt Trump was the safer bet), yet the PC went berserk when she lost, and apoplectic over Trump's boorish comments. One killed millions of muslims, the other 'offended' them. Which is worse? Dead or offended? Displaced muslims are causing a lot of problems for other countries. The US should be using ALL of its military budget to try to rebuild their ruined countries instead of turning its back and expecting the rest of the world to sort out the mess.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: One killed millions of muslims, the other 'offended' them. Which is worse? Dead or offended?
Why can't we have the best of both worlds? Let's offend the bastards before we kill them.
Just joking, VT. :D
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: One killed millions of muslims, the other 'offended' them. Which is worse? Dead or offended?
Why can't we have the best of both worlds? Let's offend the bastards before we kill them.
Just joking, VT. :D
Remember when Noddy books were banned in England? I think there is now a new, censored version of Enid Blyton books. God, the PC get more like Nazis by the day. I happen to think Enid Blyton was an awful snob and bigot (she was always going on about 'foreign types' in the Famous Five books), but banning her books is just totalitarianism. People have to make their own minds up when they read things. Teaching children to think critically would be a lot more productive. I was mad on the Famous Five books and The Faraway Tree series. Children are interested in the stories, not whether or not they are 'politically correct'. One thing that used to annoy me about the Famous Five books though was the way Julian was always telling the girls to stay behind because it was too dangerous for them, so only the big, brave boys should go. I didn't like him at all. I thought he was a bossy sexist twit (before I knew there was such a word).
My favourite book when I was small was Little Black Sambo :lol: I also had a knitted golliwog. It didn't turn me into a rabid racist. People don't give children much credit.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Remember when Noddy books were banned in England?
I thought they'd just edited them. Didn't they rename Big Ears "White Beard"? :?

I remember a neighbour giving me a Rupert the Bear annual when I was very young. Some of the characters in that book were so sinister, there's no way they'd see the light of day now. And Grimm's Fairy tales: People regularly got limbs chopped off and eyes gouged out but, as far as I know, no one who read them had to go into therapy. Surely it's better to learn how to cope with being a bit scared or offended than to be completely shielded from it.
I also had a knitted golliwog
I used to collect the paper ones they put on Robertson's jam jars, which you saved up and exchanged for a golly badge. Obviously, they put a stop to that.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Remember when Noddy books were banned in England?
I thought they'd just edited them. Didn't they rename Big Ears "White Beard"? :?

I remember a neighbour giving me a Rupert the Bear annual when I was very young. Some of the characters in that book were so sinister, there's no way they'd see the light of day now. And Grimm's Fairy tales: People regularly got limbs chopped off and eyes gouged out but, as far as I know, no one who read them had to go into therapy. Surely it's better to learn how to cope with being a bit scared or offended than to be completely shielded from it.
I also had a knitted golliwog
I used to collect the paper ones they put on Robertson's jam jars, which you saved up and exchanged for a golly badge. Obviously, they put a stop to that.
They were banned in schools and libraries. 'Editing' them is probably even worse, like painting clothes on a Rubens woman. There was an even more bizarre case of censorship in England fairly recently. I can't remember what it was.
'Golly badge' lol.

Interesting article. It mentions Germaine Greer's transgender comments too.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/01/ ... ed-britain
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:
I said I treat them as "people." Respect is due to those that are respectable.

If you act like a clown you get treated like a clown. It's the only honest and decent thing to do.