Is the US President supposed to represent all the people?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Is the US President supposed to represent all the people?

Post by Arising_uk »

I ask because I just listened to the Trumpette say those lying sick in alleyways are not republicans so not his problem?
Melchior

Re: Is the US President supposed to represent all the people?

Post by Melchior »

Charity is not the job of government, dumbass.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Is the US President supposed to represent all the people?"

That's the impossible ideal.

Reality is, any elected official only represents the folks who hired him or her. And how can it be otherwise?

Obama, for example, campaigned on a whole whack of things I disagreed with. He didn't get my vote (and my vote along with others informed Louisiana electors on how they should vote. He didn't win my state in either term.). Once elected, he went on to do a great many things I disagreed with (pushing the Affordable Care Act being chief among those things). Disgruntled as I was, I expected no different. It's impossible to have a perspective, a position, be hired because of that perspective, and then encompass the opposition once in office. Even the attempt at such thing is adulterating and doomed to fail cuz one can never compromise enough to satisfy the opposition and any compromise makes one suspect to the folks who installed you.

So, Obama never represented me and therefore in a fundamental way was not my president (my employee).

Trump, who offers a perspective substantially closer to my own, is my president (my employee).

Now, this 'Turmpette': are you referring to Trump or a Trump follower? If you refer to Trump, I want a citation, please. If you refer to a Trump follower, never mind.
Skip

Post by Skip »

No, the president is not supposed to represent all of the people. He is supposed to be chosen by a majority to preside over a government that consists of: two houses of representatives (one by electoral district, the other by state), an independent judiciary, a cabinet of advisors appointed by the president and a professional civil service with designated functions regarding the security and welfare of the citizenry.

Each branch of government is supposed to have a specific function, as defined and delimited in the constitution.
The two-party system is not constitutionally mandated; it is an incidental development.
The disparity of regions and states is also an outcome of historical events, rather than intended.
The bloated standing army and secret service departments were not merely unintended, but warned against, by the founders.
The corruption is endemic, inevitable, epidemic and fatal.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Melchior wrote:Charity is not the job of government, dumbass.
Not the point twat-face.

What I was asking about was whether he is supposed to represent all Americans as he clearly said there are sections of American society that don't matter to him because they are not Republicans.

This seemed at odds with all the guff he talked about re-uniting the people and healing bridges.
Skip

Post by Skip »

They mostly talk guff (what a kind word!) during campaigns.
Though there have been some excellent candidates who talked less guff and more substance, these tend to be the less popular, especially among the self-styled 'conservative' and 'independent' electorate... or what, I believe in England used to be called "the great unwashed". Ultimately, they choose between the least palatable candidates offered up to them by what in America used to be called "robber barons".
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"This seemed at odds with all the guff he talked about re-uniting the people and healing bridges."

Every president sez those things, every governor sez those things, every mayor sez those things.

Every elected person sez those thing

Also: the re-unification crap is usually overblown by a 'press' eager to find fault, especially when the elected in question isn't on their side of the aisle.

It is what it is.

Now, please, I'd like a link to his statement saying "those lying sick in alleyways are not republicans so not his problem".
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:"Is the US President supposed to represent all the people?"

That's the impossible ideal.
Ah! Thanks, so he is. I understand the pragmatics just never thought I'd hear a President saying it as policy.
If you refer to Trump, I want a citation, please. ...
A citation about what? I think him a loud-mouthed big girls blouse with a fragile ego and an incessant need for self-affirmation, as such Trumpette fits him nicely.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:...

Now, please, I'd like a link to his statement saying "those lying sick in alleyways are not republicans so not his problem".
You'll have to watch the catch-up of today's press interview.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I just listened to the press conference, on my radio, sittin' in my car.

Didn't hear diddly from him about not carin' about sick folks in alleyways.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

Really?
It was an aside in the bit about dismantling Obamacare and referred to those in alleys who weren't republicans. Maybe I misheard as he's bigly difficult to understand. Can you get transcripts of these press conferences?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

"We’ve begun preparing to repeal and replace Obamacare. Obamacare is a disaster, folks. It is’s disaster. I know you can say, oh, Obamacare. I mean, they fill up our alleys with people that you wonder how they get there, but they are not the Republican people our that representatives are representing."

And

"...
And it’s all about unification. We’re unifying the party and hopefully we’re going to be able to unify the country. It’s very important to me. I’ve been talking about that for a long time. It’s very, very important to me."
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Don't know about transcripts but no doubt the whole thing will be up on you-tube...might even be there now.

#

Where did that first quote come from? I'd like to see it for myself.

The second quote...should I cite Obama or Clinton, both who said the same things?

As I say, it's the impossible ideal.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Washington Post has a transscript up...reviewing it now.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Okay, this is how I think it should read...

We've begun preparing to repeal and replace Obamacare. Obamacare is a disaster, folks. It is's disaster. I know you can say, "oh, Obamacare. I mean, they fill up our alleys with people that you wonder how they get there, but they are not the Republican people our that representatives are representing".

Seems to me, he's conjecturing as to what some one from the opposition might say when confronted with the possibility of the A.C.A.'s end. Along the lines of 'sick Dems are gonna get a raw deal cuz they ain't sick repubs'.

Gotta admit, though: I'm not sure what he's sayin' there.

One of the perils of not usin' a teleprompter.