Is the US President supposed to represent all the people?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Is the US President supposed to represent all the people?

Post by Greta »

wtf wrote:
Greta wrote:The government is charged with representing taxpayers. However, governments - especially those from the right of the political spectrum - increasingly only work for large institutions. Human individuals in large societies seem to be essentially a kind of livestock now.
Only going to get worse. That's what globalism is about. Anti-globalists have a point, even if the likes of Trump and Le Pen are not always the ideal representatives.
The competitive pressures between nations ensured that it was all inevitable. It is impossible to imagine how things could have realistically been different to today in a positive way. It appears that humanity is restructuring due to population pressure and resource limits.

The bigger the population, the more the task of coordinating the disparate interests is like herding cats so the trend towards authoritarianism worldwide is to be expected, and for the trend to continue. Further, when an institution affects thousands of people, the interests of an individual are logically less important. The issue with the trolley problem is numbers - it's one thing to weigh up one life against, say, five others but it's a whole different situation to assess the accumulated weight of the economic interests of 100,000 people against the lives of the few.

So we individuals are now numbers, chattel. Presidential, or governmental, interest in individuals tends to largely be based on PR opportunities. The idea is to briefly touch the lives of likeable individuals just before elections to give the impression of caring so as to dupe voters into voting against their own interests.
osgart

Post by osgart »

I voted against authoritarian rule and not out of agreement with the candidate

had to vote for some cause and that's the one I had .

it beats doing nothing about it.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Is the US President supposed to represent all the people?
The only thing the US president is supposed to represent is the US Constitution.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Walker wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Walker wrote:I think you're wrong, just like before, when you said that crook was going to surely be elected instead of President Donald J. Trump.

Have you seen the fake Hillary site? It's fake news of what would have been, had she been The Man.

Some good satire.
And that's the difference between you and I, you value fiction, satire, believing it somehow speaks of truth, while I value facts or at least those things presented as facts, like her projected win. The fact is, more people dislike Trump as president, than has ever been recorded thus far in our history. And I've never heard of demonstration after demonstration against a new president ever. His stance on the environment alone, is why I "know" he's a moron, (has his head screwed on backwards). And mark my words, we'll eventually pay for it, with our lives. There should be a law that capitalist businessmen can never be considered for president, as making money is their primary goal, a selfish goal. Donald's a liar and a thief, deserving only to loose everything he values. How can anyone be considered respectable that preys on human weakness, then filing for bankruptcy due to people not being capable of feeding that weakness any longer. He's a bottom feeder!! A worthless bottom feeder!!
I understand what you’re saying. I simply think you’re misreading between the lines.
Surprised you don’t like satire and cynicism. As I’m sure you know, they are offshoots of critical thinking best reined in for conviviality, and I’ve noticed that a demonstrated tendency towards a hyperbolic condition is a counter-indicator to exaggeration’s absence in the noggin. :P

Look at it this way.
- As someone who has already successfully matched intent to results on a big scale involving a lot of people, by doing what must be done, this president is very qualified.
- Finally got one who measures up to the job.
- Too bad his party, Congress, the press, and big mouths with a public voice don’t measure up to him.
- He has a personality of leadership, he is fluid and reflective.

He is master of his ego, he is not a slave to his ego.
- Recently he said that the job is harder than he thought it would be, he explained why, and he was humble about it.

I think you’re misreading his character.
- He’s not a saint, but he’s nobody’s fool.
- He’s a hard worker and does what must be done.
- He knows his limitations.
- He makes work his vice.

Folks are bitching about the expense of his weekends in Florida. Look at it this way.
- Instead of him trotting all those jets and cars and folks and stuff all over the world, in duplicate, simply to literally bow to foreign leaders while giving away the country and screwing up relationships on the scale of nations (as did his predecessor who was ill-equipped with inexperience and narcissism to parley with power), foreign leaders have been the fortunate guests of President Trump.

- So, the expense balances out.
At least I see that the way you look at him is twisted. You are probably one of those that believe he has your best interests at heart, that being a businessman, he will stack the decks to benefit both of you.

Actually it's not just him, I see all things government quite differently, as I'm sure you've gathered. As far as I'm concerned I think we should ditch the idea of a president, the house of reps and the senate such that it currently is, ending the need for, so called, politicians. Instead the president, vice president, house and senate should be filled with all the top PhD's in the country. And I'm talking an equal distribution of PhD's from all possible disciplines of academic study. That is the smartest way to proceed, because then we would have experts to deal with any problem that might arise. Knowledge reigns supreme, how better to steer the human ship of fools, while creating equality amongst all men!

So I guess that makes me a radical of thought, but I stand by it as being the smartest way for any group of people to proceed during this technological century and all that follow. As I see it as the only way humanity shall survive themselves!

P.S. The current president surely doesn't represent me, at least not in the way that I appreciate him doing the job he's doing!
osgart

Post by osgart »

oh great make America the land of supreme rule.

The Constitution is weathering the storms just fine.

we haven't had a good president since Reagan anyway.

The less government does the better. that leaves it all in the individuals hands.

Obama was becoming too powerful. Trump so what.

The idea of a president solving everybody's problems is absurd.

handtie the government and let the citizens have the power.

absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Walker

Post by Walker »

The NY Daily News often slants a liberal viewpoint.
Even those folks are calling out Clinton on her boorish and selfish behavior.
Just image if she had been elected. Yikes.
The USA would have been her candy store.
Clinton Foundation x 100

Who would vote for such a crook whose only concern is to feather her nest.
Not like it's not obvious or anything.

Here is what Gersh Kuntzman has to say about it with some lively writing.

Hillary Clinton shouldn’t be writing a book — she should be drafting a long apology to America
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.3130675
SpheresOfBalance

Walker wrote:The NY Daily News often slants a liberal viewpoint.
Even those folks are calling out Clinton on her boorish and selfish behavior.
Just image if she had been elected. Yikes.
The USA would have been her candy store.
Clinton Foundation x 100

Who would vote for such a crook whose only concern is to feather her nest.
Not like it's not obvious or anything.

Here is what Gersh Kuntzman has to say about it with some lively writing.

Hillary Clinton shouldn’t be writing a book — she should be drafting a long apology to America
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.3130675
I like how you believe yourself capable of knowing that which cannot be known, it really puts you in your place. I thank creation I'm smarter than that! ;-)
Walker

Post by Walker »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:I like how you believe yourself capable of knowing that which cannot be known, it really puts you in your place. I thank creation I'm smarter than that! ;-)
I probably should have qualified that with lying, unethical crook.

And you backed Clinton.

Birds of a feather? Be careful who you flock with.

She is off-putting and phony, but because of my natural magnanimous and expansive nature, you still get a fair hearing.

You really should read Kuntzman to balance out your ignorance on the topic.
SpheresOfBalance

Walker wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:05 pm
SpheresOfBalance wrote:I like how you believe yourself capable of knowing that which cannot be known, it really puts you in your place. I thank creation I'm smarter than that! ;-)
I probably should have qualified that with lying, unethical crook.

And you backed Clinton.

Birds of a feather? Be careful who you flock with.

She is off-putting and phony, but because of my natural magnanimous and expansive nature, you still get a fair hearing.

You really should read Kuntzman to balance out your ignorance on the topic.
It's your ignorance not mine that is under scrutiny by anyone with half a brain:

"Washington (CNN)The revelation that President Donald Trump reportedly disclosed highly sensitive information to Russian officials is raising questions among some allied intelligence agencies about the security of details they share with their US counterparts.
"It's a big deal, and we want to make sure sensitive information is handled properly," a European diplomat told CNN, adding that the country represented by the diplomat would not cut communications with the US entirely but could potentially reassess what information is transmitted at the political level."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/16/politics/ ... index.html

Your boy is just that!

I now have yet another word to define trump: hypocrite!

Trumps approval rating Day 117: Approve 39.9% Disapprove 54.1%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... l-ratings/

Your boy is going down the toilet fast! :lol: Fool! Both of you! :lol: I believe my first assertion: "inbred" was correct! ;-)

Worse president ever! :lol:
SpheresOfBalance

Like I said worst president ever!!!

How popular/unpopular is Donald Trump?

Day 118: approval: 39.7 Disapproval: 54.3

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... l-ratings/

Congressman calls for Trump's impeachment on House floor

Washington (CNN)Democratic Rep. Al Green of Texas called for the impeachment of President Donald Trump Wednesday morning, the first member of Congress to officially request leveling charges against the President from the House floor.

News broke Tuesday that Trump in February asked then-FBI Director James Comey to drop an investigation into his former national security adviser Michael Flynn -- a request critics have called obstruction of justice.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/politics/ ... index.html

Walkers boy!! :lol:
Walker

Post by Walker »

It’s a crying shame when a baseless, bullying, pile-on smear job by the unethical is celebrated by the sheep.
By any means necessary.
What slime.
And, what a slimy philosophy of the Progs.

The city of Washington D.C. voted over 90% for Clinton. For the established order.
So did the media that tells the way of things.
So did the school-teachers, with their big voice in the party, who tell the little children what to think.
Probably the attorneys too, who do not want tort reform or even the utterance.
Hollywood too, moving from product placement to theme placement in the flicks.

It's a nation of sheep all right, but the sheep are not the people.
The sheep are the above voices, and the babbling somnambulists who don't care for politics other than for handouts.

Gotta eliminate the threats to keeping the bread buttered.
Educate the public with press.
Educate the children with who is good, and who is bad.

Radical Progressivism, which Clinton represented, is the voice of the Democratic Party and the city.
Kennedy liberalism is half a century in the past.

President Trump doesn't stand much of a chance.
He has been hip-deep in obstructionist bullshit from the establishment that includes the Republican Party since day one, and it stinks.

Too many knives.

To call him the worst president after a couple of months in office is obviously idiotic.

Too much of that, too.
SpheresOfBalance

Walker wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:07 am It’s a crying shame when a baseless, bullying, pile-on smear job by the unethical is celebrated by the sheep.
By any means necessary.
What slime.
And, what a slimy philosophy of the Progs.

The city of Washington D.C. voted over 90% for Clinton. For the established order.
So did the media that tells the way of things.
So did the school-teachers, with their big voice in the party, who tell the little children what to think.
Probably the attorneys too, who do not want tort reform or even the utterance.
Hollywood too, moving from product placement to theme placement in the flicks.

It's a nation of sheep all right, but the sheep are not the people.
The sheep are the above voices, and the babbling somnambulists who don't care for politics other than for handouts.

Gotta eliminate the threats to keeping the bread buttered.
Educate the public with press.
Educate the children with who is good, and who is bad.

Radical Progressivism, which Clinton represented, is the voice of the Democratic Party and the city.
Kennedy liberalism is half a century in the past.

President Trump doesn't stand much of a chance.
He has been hip-deep in obstructionist bullshit from the establishment that includes the Republican Party since day one, and it stinks.

Too many knives.

To call him the worst president after a couple of months in office is obviously idiotic.

Too much of that, too.
FACT: HIS START, FIRST 100 DAYS, AS COINED BY ROOSEVELT, HAS BEEN THAT OF THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER! And of course it has continued! Especially noticeable since modern day polling was created! IT'S JUST A FACT MY FRIEND! QUIT YOUR INCESSANT WHINING! GROW UP! HE'S AN IDIOT, OBVIOUSLY! A SMART MAN WOULDN'T HAVE MADE ALL THE DUMB-ASSED MISTAKES HE'S MADE!! AGAIN FACT!!! I FEEL SORRY FOR ALL THE IGNORANT PEOPLE IN THE U.S., AS IT LOOKS LIKE THEY'LL LOOSE THEIR IGNORANT HERO, THAT PROMISED TO, GET READY FOR IT: "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!" What a dumb-assed ambiguous, unquantifiable thing to say, as ones mission statement! FACT! Why do you think I saw him for the fool he was in the very beginning! He was an idiot on his TV show, and in the news prior to that. As a matter of fact I've never heard anything come out of his mouth EVER that wasn't IDIOTIC! He has NEVER come off as a SMART MAN, EVER! Any president, ABSOLUTELY MUST, COME OFF AS INTELLIGENT. Of course it's BEST for, "we, the people...," if he/she actually is.

THIS SPEAKS VOLUMES ABOUT THOSE THAT VOTED FOR SUCH AN IDIOT! But then I've known for some time about the ignorance of the people of the bible belt! Slavery still on many of their minds, as a viable way to live.

As usual absolute power corrupts absolutely, look here at my, "in your face," diatribe to spy a glimpse, as I saw it in your remark about Hillary not winning. But then we have our music don't we? Of course, that's about it!
;-)

FACT: When the average intelligence of the people, as a whole, exceeds that of their leader, their leader can only ever be ousted! If only in the peoples minds eyes! FACT! Let's pray that it's not only in their minds eyes, in this particular case, or we 'all' shall suffer. And I mean the world!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

SoB,

Here's what you got...

An unnamed source ponied up a piece of unsubstantiated information to a propagandist rag, one overtly skewed against Trump.

Promptly, other propagandist outlets, all overtly skewed against Trump, snatched up on the story, each and every one declaring him guilty (without real investigation, without trial).

Sound and fury, signifying nuthn'.

Trump ain't goin' nowhere.

And even if he does...

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S ... succession

#

"FACT: HIS START, FIRST 100 DAYS, AS COINED BY ROOSEVELT, HAS BEEN THAT OF THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER!"

According to who?

The propagandists skewed against him, that's who. You know, the folks who haven't 'reported' diddly other than Trump's missteps. The folks who ignore or dismiss anything good comin' out of the Trump White House. The folks who, if Trump farted in a crowded elevator, would declare his expulsion as a sure sign of the Apocalypse.

Sorry, I can't accept their assessment of Trump or his performance so far.
SpheresOfBalance

Re:

henry quirk wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 2:23 pm SoB,

Here's what you got...
I don't have anything except the word of CNN and other NEWS Agencies, same as you.

An unnamed source ponied up a piece of unsubstantiated information to a propagandist rag, one overtly skewed against Trump.
That's your conjecture as an outsider. I bet you voted for him right? The insiders however have stated otherwise. Sorry I'm with the insiders! Surely they'll have to prove it, one way or another! If then it appears that your supposition is correct, I'll change my view accordingly. Simple!

Promptly, other propagandist outlets, all overtly skewed against Trump, snatched up on the story, each and every one declaring him guilty (without real investigation, without trial).
That's what impeachment is, a trial! You see, someone has to see an old feller shoot someone with a shotgun and report it before he goes to trial. That's how things work with linear time. Sequence is everything!

Sound and fury, signifying nuthn'.
Not necessarily, maybe.

Trump ain't goin' nowhere.
Really? I'd say the jury is still out on that one, because he's just getting started! ;-)

And even if he does...

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S ... succession

#
So, the next might be better, and if not, lets go through the list already!

"FACT: HIS START, FIRST 100 DAYS, AS COINED BY ROOSEVELT, HAS BEEN THAT OF THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER!"

According to who?
Modern polling, like I've already said. Come on Henry I really hate it when people ignore what I've already said! You know that!

The propagandists skewed against him, that's who. You know, the folks who haven't 'reported' diddly other than Trump's missteps. The folks who ignore or dismiss anything good comin' out of the Trump White House.
That's not how polling works! And nothing good has come out of his white house!

The folks who, if Trump farted in a crowded elevator, would declare his expulsion as a sure sign of the Apocalypse.
Your exaggerated fantasy has absolutely nothing to do with it!

Sorry, I can't accept their assessment of Trump or his performance so far.
That's your prerogative! And so I have mine! Right???

So what's the point? No one can sell me shit! Neither Satan nor God could do it, so what makes you believe that you could do it? I am who I am, that's the way it is. And the same goes for you! Right?

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Modern polling"

The same modern polling (and pollsters) who predicted a Clinton win right up to election day.

Forgive me if I don't take polling any more seriously than I do 'the news'.

And: I'm not lookin' to sell you anything, SoB. I'm just pointing out the obvious skew of 'the press' against Trump and suggesting you figure that skewing into your political calculus.

And: yes, I voted for him. He was, as I explained elsewhere, the lesser of two evils to me (and still is)...don't know that 'that' makes me an apologist for the man.

if he's done wrong, let that wrong be aired, proven, and dealt with, in court. This flaying away at him, this declaration -- subtle or gross -- of his guilt by folks who are supposed to convey fact, not color it, is small and wrong. I'll no more climb up on that haywagon than I will the other where all riders say Trump can do no wrong.

I'll applaude when he does good; condemn when his wrong-doing is proven...till then: this cheese stands alone.