Should it be Democracy

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RWStanding

Should it be Democracy

Post by RWStanding »

Should it be Democracy
The Greeks quite rationally created the term Democracy, from demos. Rule by the people. Ever since it has tended to be the accepted opposite or even alternative to Tyranny. No doubt allowing for intermediates. This may therefore prejudice us towards random polls of opinion such as that for the EU. Or aggregates of personal prejudice. Such that if a majority voted for a theocracy, in part or whole, it would be a democratic decision binding on government. Fortunately perhaps we have progressed a stage or two and UN Rights - for instance - do not actually provide us with entire religious freedom. Only with such residue as does not conflict with rational democracy and all other UN Rights. Now the Greeks might not have mentioned democracy but only some term like altruism, as an alternative to tyranny and caste, together with anarchism. In that case perhaps we would now be more constructive in our opinion polls and elections.
Fred Gohlke

Re: Should it be Democracy

Post by Fred Gohlke »

Good Morning, RWStanding

I'm not clear on what you mean by "Should it be Democracy". Are you asking if democracy is a desirable form of government, or are you asking if what we call democracy in the U.S. is, indeed, democratic, or is there some other meaning that escapes me? In any case, I'd like to comment.

If you mean whether or not democracy is a desirable form of government, I respond with a strong affirmative - when we achieve it. However, we cannot achieve it until every member of the community is able to participate in the political process to the full extent of each individual's desire and ability. Creativesoul wrote on the 'Thinking Things Anew' thread, "Political sensibility demands understanding another's worldview." Nothing in our existing political infrastructure urges such a search for understanding. We cannot achieve democracy until we have a process in place that encourages citizens to discuss their worldview for the purpose of advancing their common interest. I'd like to talk about ways we can accomplish that.

If you are asking if what we call democracy in the U.S. is democratic, I respond with a strong negative. Voting for a candidate put forth by a political party is not evidence of free choice. It shows that we are slaves of the parties that have usurped our right to choose our own representatives in our government. The parties know and thrive on the simple fact that those who set the options control the outcome. As long as the parties control the options available to the voters, they control the laws enacted by our Congress. I believe we can devise a simple, direct and practical alternative to the party system we endure and would like to work toward that end.

Are either of these lines of thought consistent with your topic?

Fred Gohlke