Progressivist Protests

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Progressivist Protests

Post by Arising_uk »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miE-kwQM0mo

Although he's incorrect about UC Berkeley's actions and should have mentioned that the rioters are anarchists and this is exactly the response they want as well.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miE-kwQM0mo

Although he's incorrect about UC Berkeley's actions and should have mentioned that the rioters are anarchists and this is exactly the response they want as well.
There were some anarchists. I doubt you know what ""exactly the response" they wanted.

Absolute thinking is destroying the world, like blaming ALL Islam because of 0.0001% might be inclined towards terrorism.

Berkeley is under no obligation to offer Milo Yiannopoulos a platform. There is no "shutting down of free speech" for the simple reason that 'hate speech" is illegal in the USA.
On the contrary Berkeley have a legal responsibility to deny a platform to any hate-speech merchant.
Last edited by Hobbes' Choice on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miE-kwQM0mo

There were some anarchists. I doubt you know what ""exactly the response" they wanted.

Absolute thinking is destroying the world, like blaming ALL Islam because of 0.0001% might be inclined towards terrorism.

Berkeley is under no obligation to offer Milo Yiannopoulos a platform. There is no "shutting down of free speech" for the simple reason that 'hate speech" is illegal in the USA.
On the contrary Berkeley have a legal responsibility to deny a platform to any hate-speech merchant.
'Hate-speech' means nothing. It's PC bullshit. And I don't think the US has 'hate-speech' laws. Free speech is free speech.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

The real problem is that the media have selected this person Milo Yiannopoulos as figure of such importance that we are all talking about him; the media are covering him; and the right are using it as some sort of vehicle to promote fascism.

Propaganda is about publicity these days. It does not have to be about lies, just about selectivity.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:...

There were some anarchists. I doubt you know what ""exactly the response" they wanted. ...
Sure I do, marched with enough of them. Publicity, infamy, a good punch-up and some of them the destruction of the hierarchical State.
Absolute thinking is destroying the world, like blaming ALL Islam because of 0.0001% might be inclined towards terrorism. ...
Of course the problem with this is Islam is at base a violent religion.
Depends, was what he was going to say going to lead to imminent violence? Of course if you say that the imminent violence is because he was going to speak and not because of what he was going to say I think you're on a sticky wicket.

Not that I give much of a toss about what the yanks are up to.

Funny how a Brit is causing such an issue.
Gustav Bjornstrand

Post by Gustav Bjornstrand »

You know of course that Mr Milo is just trying to earn a living. These TV appearances are paid and he is, perhaps as much as anything else, a political performer. He is building up his capital and any (or most) publicity is good publicity. He has managers, a strategy, bookings, etc. And a book deal.

At a certain point it all looks pretty silly and doesn't have too much to do with the real structure of power.

The 'Alt-Lite' is is not thinking in structural terms. It is a branch of political entertainment and mere noise.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:

There were some anarchists. I doubt you know what ""exactly the response" they wanted. ...
Sure I do, marched with enough of them. Publicity, infamy, a good punch-up and some of them the destruction of the hierarchical State.
Absolute thinking is destroying the world, like blaming ALL Islam because of 0.0001% might be inclined towards terrorism. ...
Of course the problem with this is Islam is at base a violent religion.

99% of Muslims diagree with you. But I suppose you know anarchists and Muslims better than they know themselves.

Depends, was what he was going to say going to lead to imminent violence? Of course if you say that the imminent violence is because he was going to speak and not because of what he was going to say I think you're on a sticky wicket.

Not that I give much of a toss about what the yanks are up to.

Funny how a Brit is causing such an issue.
Another one of you "ironies"?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
99% of Muslims diagree with you. But I suppose you know anarchists and Muslims better than they know themselves.
Well I knew the anarchists fairly well and with respect to the Muslims, they'll do what they're told by their Imans. But my take is a simple reading of the Quran in the correct order and if you do this you'll see that he started a nominal 'Christian' but ended up advocating violent conversion(which was why Islam actually grew) and unlike the Bible contradictions can't be used as he put a no-overrule precedent clause in. So despite the fact that Muslims can live in other countries and obey the laws those in Muslim countries have as an end-goal the conversion of the world to Islam and violence is advocated as the means, they're just waiting for their Caliph.
... Another one of you "ironies"?
A rather mild one but for sure, as is that he is purportedly gay, has Jewish ancestors and is a drag queen.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Well I knew the anarchists fairly well and with respect to the Muslims, they'll do what they're told by their Imans. But my take is a simple reading of the Quran in the correct order and if you do this you'll see that he started a nominal 'Christian' but ended up advocating violent conversion(which was why Islam actually grew) and unlike the Bible contradictions can't be used as he put a no-overrule precedent clause in. So despite the fact that Muslims can live in other countries and obey the laws those in Muslim countries have as an end-goal the conversion of the world to Islam and violence is advocated as the means, they're just waiting for their Caliph.
... Another one of you "ironies"?
A rather mild one but for sure, as is that he is purportedly gay, has Jewish ancestors and is a drag queen.
I know exactly what you mean. I used to know a few Americans that enlisted, and they used to do what they were told too; napalm, killing gooks, the whole cigar.
Those fucking Americans can't be trusted and the whole country is based on warfare.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I know exactly what you mean. I used to know a few Americans that enlisted, and they used to do what they were told too; napalm, killing gooks, the whole cigar. ...
Except they were soldiers whereas if the Caliph appears and is accepted and then declares Jihad all Muslims will obey if they wish to stay Muslim.
Those fucking Americans can't be trusted and the whole country is based on warfare.
I'm with my grandad, never thought they could.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote:... as is that he is purportedly gay, has Jewish ancestors and is a drag queen.
Well then, he should just confuse the anti free speech SJWs and claim that they are either homophobic, anti-semitic, or transphobic for not allowing him to speak.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. I used to know a few Americans that enlisted, and they used to do what they were told too; napalm, killing gooks, the whole cigar. ...
Except they were soldiers whereas if the Caliph appears and is accepted and then declares Jihad all Muslims will obey if they wish to stay Muslim.
I'm with my grandad, never thought they could.
Your prejudiced hair-splitting just makes you look silly.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:... as is that he is purportedly gay, has Jewish ancestors and is a drag queen.
Well then, he should just confuse the anti free speech SJWs and claim that they are either homophobic, anti-semitic, or transphobic for not allowing him to speak.
He sounds like a sick puppy. As a Gay of Greek heritage he is unlikely to curry the favour of many other right wingers.
vegetariantaxidermy

Scarily hilarious irony:

Yiannopoulos and feminist Julie Bindel were scheduled to participate in the University of Manchester Free Speech and Secular Society's debate ′From liberation to censorship: does modern feminism have a problem with free speech?′ in October of 2015, but the Students' Union banned first Bindel, then also Yiannopoulos.The Union cited Bindel's comments on transgender women and Yiannopoulos' opinions on rape culture and stated that both breached the Union's safe-space policy.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
He sounds like a sick puppy. As a Gay of Greek heritage he is unlikely to curry the favour of many other right wingers.
I can't find anything evil about him, but that's from a brief search. As far as I can tell he's enraged the SJWs for 'offending' muslims. Apparently Free speech means you can say anything you like, as long as it passes muster with whatever the SJWs deem to be 'safe' and 'inoffensive'.
And even if he is 'offending' people; so what? Lots of things offend me. Hypocrisy offends me. But I don't think I'm so special that I have a fundamental right to never be offended, or that everyone I happen to disagree with should be silenced.