Progressivist Protests

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Re: Progressivist Protests

Post by bobevenson »

Harbal wrote:Up with workers. Down with Capitalism.
You'd fit right in at Berkeley.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bobevenson wrote: You'd fit right in at Berkeley.
I sense I'm supposed to be offended by that and maybe I would be if I knew what Berkely was, who knows? They say ignorance is bliss.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Immanuel Can wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:If I shoot Hilter in the face I become a hero in England, if I do the same to Churchill somehow I'm evil.
The World's gone PC MAD!!
Well, whether or not it's right to shoot anybody in the face (or anywhere else) is an important question, isn't it? And that realization parallels the one I'm asking:

Why does the Left attract such lunatics?
What you are asking is irrelevant. I posed a ridiculous dichotomy to reflect your one..

Why does religion attract such lunatics?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bobevenson wrote:
Hahaha. Like that is some sort of insult.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

uwot wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:If I shoot Hilter in the face I become a hero in England, if I do the same to Churchill somehow I'm evil.
It's wasted on Mr Can. He won't get it.
His response proves you right.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Hahaha. Like that is some sort of insult.
Not to criminal left-wingers.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Harbal wrote:
They say ignorance is bliss.
That's another thing you're a perfect example of.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Harbal wrote:
I sense I'm supposed to be offended by that and maybe I would be if I knew what Berkely was, who knows? They say ignorance is bliss.
the bishop's shadow knows...

-Imp
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bobevenson wrote: That's another thing you're a perfect example of.
I don't know what you mean, yet I find that very fact makes me happy. Thank you, bob, for sharing the gift of ignorance with me.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Impenitent wrote:
the bishop's shadow knows...

-Imp
There's no such thing as a shadow, only the idea of a shadow. Same goes for the bishop.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
uwot wrote:
It's wasted on Mr Can. He won't get it.
His response proves you right.
I suppose the fact that he has retreated from proselytising, through preaching to the converted to barely coherent rants about 'leftists' and 'progressivists' is a sign that even he acknowledges his irrelevance.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Immanuel Can wrote:... A reasoned debate would be much more productive. ...
:lol: Tell that to your twitterati president and his 'alternative facts'.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Immanuel Can wrote:... So I would really have to find a comparable expression of "right wing" shutting down of debate. I'd just find that quite hard to do right now. ...
Try Fux News and your current president or maybe look at all those dictators you funded and supported around the world.
Why does the Left attract such lunatics?
Why does the Right create, fund, and support dictators, murderers, torturers and religious fundamentalist loons?
Walker

Post by Walker »

wtf wrote:
Immanuel Can wrote:I've just read that a speech at Berkeley was shut down by a gang of (apparently) Leftist thugs smashing windows and setting fires.
The national reporting of this incident is sensationalistic because that's what the viewers want to see. And Fox News is all in with the hysteria of course.

These "Black Bloc" morons, as they call themselves, are the ones who show up after dark to break windows and start fires. And grab the narrative. During Occupy, 50,000 people staged a totally peaceful protest at the Port of Oakland all day long. After dark, the "anarchists" came out, broke windows and set fires, and the riot cops came in with teargas. What do you think was on tv the next day?

Berkeley is the next town over from Oakland. The troublemakers take the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) and trash the campus. The visuals are great. The story goes worldwide.

That's what 20 or 30 morons can do, the exact same morons and probably a lot of the exact same people I saw at Occupy five years ago. It's a damn shame. They are "leftists" in the sense that they spout all the PC rhetoric. But they're not political. Breaking windows is their politics. It's all they stand for.

That said, I do think the left is at some point going to have to take a stand for civility. The Oakland Black Bloc has gone way over the line and it's time for the adults to stand up and say Enough.

And it's in the left's interest to disown and condemn this violence. Because FOX News LOVES the violence. It undermines the left's cause. If the country has to choose between Trump and morons setting fires, it will choose Trump.
The police didn’t interfere with the law-breaking.

By ignoring the law-breaking, the local authorities are complicit in anarchy, and anarchists put the authorities first on the chopping block. Dimwits.

The local authorities probably consider rioting and property destruction to be freedom of speech and expression under some higher moral authority, perhaps 9th Circuit reasoning, but that’s just a guess.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:What you are asking is irrelevant. I posed a ridiculous dichotomy to reflect your one..
Deceptive, Hobbes.

You left out the question I asked: why is what's not okay for authoritarians (i.e. suppressing the right to speech, by force, as at Beserkeley) treated as just fine -- even admirable -- for Leftists?

Answer the real question, if you can.